Bernie Bro Goes Clinton

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:24 pm
I Wrote That I Despised Hillary Clinton. Today, I Want To Publicly Take It Back.

Quote:

When this election began, I was like millions of millennial men: a “Bernie bro” rooting hard for Sen. Sanders.

Watching the candidate of my dreams get steam late and lose in the primary wasn’t so different from watching my favorite football team not have enough energy to complete a fourth quarter rally. Hopeful, exciting, but ultimately deflating and disappointing.

When Hillary Clinton became the presumptive Democratic nominee, I was distraught. Months before I had written about her on Huffington Post, explaining that I despised her not for her gender — as some of her supporters accused — but for her hawkishness, her center-left policies, her husband’s crime bill that incarcerated so many people of color, her support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and her inability to get progressive on climate change policy.

I’ve spent almost every waking hour of every day following this election, reading about Hillary, Donald Trump, both parties’ platforms, and the under-qualified Libertarian and Green Party candidates running. During these months of obsessing over my choice, I’ve watched my position slowly shift. I’ve felt myself start advocating for Hillary more than advocating a vote against Trump, culminating in last night’s debate when she finally, totally, completely won me over.

All this work, and what did Clinton get? She got an actual smug, young journalist named Isaac Saul writing about how I despised her, when I hardly knew the depth of her accomplishments, when I was clinging to the pipe dream of a Bernie Sanders presidency that may have never been in the cards, when my own father got ignored while he tried his best to talk some sense into me.

Secretary Clinton, I’m sorry. And I retract my previous position of hatred and angst towards you. You have made mistakes, some of them grave, and some of them unforgivable. Unfortunately, that comes with decades of life in the public eye, pressure and microphones in your face. But you have also accomplished far more in your life as a public servant than just about anyone that’s run for this office, and certainly far more than I ever will. When November rolls around, you’ll have my vote.

And you’ll get it enthusiastically.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:46 pm
@engineer,
I suspect this kind of thing will make people who have always been Hillary supporters very happy. This feels like another slap in the face to at least one Bernie supporter who is now reluctantly supporting Hillary. I suspect that many other Bernie supporters feel the same.

These kind of testimonials are self-congratulatory and counter-productive if the goal is to solidify reluctant supporters or win over any holdouts.

If the goal is for Hillary supporters to pat themselves on the back, I suspect this will do just nicely.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:03 pm
@engineer,
He must not have read the released DNC emails about how Bernie was cheated from a fair election.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:42 pm
@maxdancona,
But this wasn't written by a Clinton supporter, it was written by a dedicated Sanders supporter and this person is not berating other Sanders supporters, he is telling his own story. In the article, he admits that he was ignorant of Clinton's accomplishments and qualifications. While as a Clinton supporter, it does make me happy to see that someone with an open mind do the work to get past the fog of war, I can't see how this is a "slap in the face". This guy has gone from "anyone but Trump" to "she's got some serious positives". I would figure that would be comfort to Sanders supporters.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:12 pm
@engineer,
Sure... it was written by one Clinton supporter. So what.

You can find thousands of Bernie supporters who are reluctantly supporting Clinton. Many of us will vote for Clinton even though we are a little bitter about how the political establishment pushed her on us (and I am not just talking about Bernie, several decent plausible candidates were pushed out before the primary).

Even this writer was ambivalent even as he tried to be as "enthusiastic" as he could. Even in is support he said "You have made mistakes, some of them grave, and some of them unforgivable."

But my point is that this sort of thing doesn't help... if the goal is to convince reluctant Hillary supporters to be more solid or to convince still wavering Bernie supporters to commit. If the goal is to make enthusiastic Hillary supporters feel better about themselves, maybe this hits the mark.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 03:27 pm
@maxdancona,
As a firm Hillary supporter I felt fine about Hillary from the start of the election cycle. I still felt fine about her even before tRump made a 'drunken?' ass of himself.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 03:35 pm
@RABEL222,
There are a great number of reluctant Hillary supporters. They don't particularly like Hillary, but they are considering Hillary largely because Trump is such an ass.

Hillary needs these voters (if she is going to win).

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 03:44 pm
Don't believe it. Correct the Record propagandists are throwing in the kitchen sink to turn those they robbed toward Clinton.
0 Replies