analyze vs assess

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 11:26 am
In a reflection for an assignment I mentioned that it's important to "assess the primary sources". My teacher indicated that analyze is a better term. I don't understand why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by perennialloner
contrex

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 12:50 pm
To assess means to "evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of [something]" whereas to analyze means to "examine [something] methodically and in detail, typically in order to explain and interpret it." This is what you should be doing with your primary sources.

Below viewing threshold (view)
contrex

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 01:38 pm
Ignore the idiot poster above.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:10 pm
@contrex,
But based on those definitions, doesnt a person have to analyze first in order to assess? If assessing is determining value wouldn't I have first needed to interpret/analyze? Even if hadnt done that, determining the value of a primary source is important? It seems to me like analysis goes hand in hand with assessment.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 07:26 am
@perennialloner,
Yes. And Contrex explained that.

Analyze first. Then assess.
perennialloner

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 07:45 am
@PUNKEY,
I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I thought that analysis was implicit in assessment meaning there'd be no need to say "analyze and assess primary sources" or "analyze primary sources." Given that contrex didn't respond, and he's good with English language, I'm assuming my line of thinking was wrong. However, I don't see how you figured he said analyze first and assess second. All he said was I should be analyzing primary sources instead of assessing them.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 08:14 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

But based on those definitions, doesnt a person have to analyze first in order to assess? If assessing is determining value wouldn't I have first needed to interpret/analyze? Even if hadnt done that, determining the value of a primary source is important? It seems to me like analysis goes hand in hand with assessment.

I would say that assessment is made possible by analysis. It is possible that during analysis (as well as following it) an idea of the worth of a source will begin to form, but the analysis is the essential thing.
perennialloner

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:48 am
@contrex,
Thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies