It's banned books week

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:12 am
@ehBeth,
Doesn't sound like it. This is the IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049402/
ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:21 am
@izzythepush,
ah - the movie with James Franco
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,
In 1887, Trinity College (of Cambridge Uni) banned Darwins "Origin of Species..." as it contravend religious beliefs. It was also banned in Tennessee in 1915 as pqrt of the "butler Acts" which made the teaching of avolution a misdemeanor crime. The butlr Acts werent removed till 1957.

Several political disricts b in the US banned "Huckelberry Finn" mostly because
1the principal set a bad xample for the young to follow and

2foul lqnguage
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm
Did anyone else notice that the list of "banned books" listed on this thread were all written by White men?.

Surely someone here has read a book by a woman or a person of color,

(I am not really complaining, but I am amused. The lack of diversity of thought in the A2k clique still amazes me.)

Edit: Someone did list "To Kill a Mockingbird". So there is one.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
#Yawn!

We're sure that female writers and authors of minority have been banned. If you going to bitch about this thread, no one is stopping you from dropping a single link with the list of authors that meet said requirement.

This thread isn't my profession and I'm not here to professionally research it.

Good grief you're a freaking bore sometimes. Insanely so ... most of the time.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
"The Color Purple" is an obvious choice to put on this list.

I am not exactly bitching.

I am just poking fun at the lack of diversity of thought in the A2K clique.

Anything I can do to upset the group think here...

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Certain books have been read, but there are limits to how many favorites a person can be a having. Or would you suggest/prefer we only select those authored by minorities and women?

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

#Yawn!

We're sure that female writers and authors of minority have been banned. If you going to bitch about this thread, no one is stopping you from dropping a single link with the list of authors that meet said requirement.

This thread isn't my profession and I'm not here to professionally research it.

Good grief you're a freaking bore sometimes. Insanely so ... most of the time.

Speaking of women writers, they are human beings. Some of them write real good. Some, not so good. Some get censored. Some do not. I am mortified that I did not point this arcane fact to the others here.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:15 pm
@Sturgis,
I am just pointing out the lack of diversity here on A2K. There is a concerted effort among the core group of A2Kers to push out anyone with a different viewpoint.

Somehow with this topic, the lack of racial and gender diversity (on top of the usual opposition to any dissenting viewpoints) seems relevant.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:26 pm
@maxdancona,
I have read the book by James Baldwin (Go Tell It On The Mountain) and the book listed by Zora Neale Hurston (Their Eyes Were Watching God) , they just did not hit all the right notes for me to list as favorites. Quite good, yes, but, not something I feel a great urge to read again.

If it makes you feel better, I've read Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome and Carson McCullers's The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, multiple times and they are favorites by women....even if they aren't currently banned.

Then again, perhaps you'd rather just go on ranting...

....it's your choice to be happy, sad or mad.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:28 pm
I had intended to mention The Story of O before dancona began shitting his panties over the women issue. I have him on ignore, thus censoring him from polluting my thread experience any more than he already has.
"O" was penned by Anne Desclos under the pen name Pauline Réage. The versions I found here in America had the final chapter deleted because American audiences apparently are overly sensitive about such matters.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar apparently doesn't understand what having someone on "ignore" means.

I find it amusing that he thinks his suggestion that I wear "panties" is something I would find insulting.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:55 pm
@Sturgis,
I am not ranting, Sturgis. I am poking at the group think here.

The first point I raised, that many people who celebrate "banned books week" are willing to ban books that they themselves find offensive, is a valid point. And it is a relevant point. Instead of disengaging (if he didn't find the point interesting) he had to make it personal. I don't object to the discussion. I object to the forceful and sometime personal attempts to stamp out any diversity of perspectives here.

Otherwise I would have just expressed my opinion and been done with it.

In any discussion of censorship (and I think banned books applies) the amount of diversity in the viewpoints allowed in any forum is relevant.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:15 pm
@maxdancona,
mya angelou's work , especially "Why the caged bird sings" was banned.

The points of banning were usually to underpin and keep pure, some political expedient or religious belief. The banees qwere obviouwly never in positions of power.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The points of banning were usually to underpin and keep pure, some political expedient or religious belief. The banees qwere obviouwly never in positions of power.

Why do you put that in the past tense? I would say, the points of banning are to keep pure some political or religious belief. Conservatives do not have a monopoly on politically "pure" beliefs. Power changes and acceptable ideas shift. Do you really pretend that there is no pressure to ban ideas coming from the liberal side?

Fifty years ago, in school libraries there were no books suggesting that same sex marriage should be allowed. Now there are no books in most school libraries suggesting that same sex marriage should be condemned.

If someone is really against banning books, you won't accept either of these cases. If you are against banning books that don't meet your political beliefs... that is a different story.

Let's be honest here. It is much harder to see it happen when the people in power to control ideas share your ideological bias, but the process is the same and the result is the same.

If you are really against "banning", then intellectual honesty dictates that your oppose it even when the people being banned don't share your ideological views.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:48 pm
I know women used to write anonymously or use pen names in the past, because they were not accepted in the literary world. It was never my intent to seek out every banned work on the planet, because the list would be too long to read.

I had a copy of Satanic Verses, but just didn't get into it and never finished the read. Same with some of the other books in these lists.
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
despite max's problem, this is an interesting thread, (Im sure most of us hqve openly applied our simply racist standards to avoid mentioning,thereby accrediting as valuable, any books or literature by people of color , LGBTQ's, Jews, or even vegans.
Tell the truth, Ive always been interested in "Why was this book or that book banned"? what were the specifics? .

Where were Walt Whitmans work banned? and what reason was uswed by the banning agency? and for how long?

some of Ferlengetti's poetry was banned by some churches that ran andmaintained parochial schools
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Why do you put that in the past tense? I would say, the points of banning are to keep pure some political or religious belief
including too many limiting words makes the statement kinda vapid.

Why not just give examples rather than displaying? Im aware that Satanic Verses (STILL being banned in Islamic countries and some US Muslim communities-so "are" would probably be accurate)
Dan Brown's work WERE banned by some Archdiocese of the RCC.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you are really against "banning", then intellectual honesty dictates that your oppose it even when the people being banned don't share your ideological views.
Sounds like you want to mount a crusade against something that was never included in this thread;s arc. Talk about intellectual honesty.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:26 pm
@farmerman,
On this thread, I have yet to read a post advocating banning any book you could name. That's the only reason I don't give max any credit. If he wants to discuss banned books, from whatever angle, I don't mind. But I will not operate from a false premise that goes on and on.