Why do some men fib...

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 11:21 am
I've been with a man for a while and I've caught him on a few occasions lying to me. Now I've called him out on his bs straight away and he's denied it. This then drives me to show him proof of his lie...still won't admit it. Now, there are times he admits he lies but won't admit to the particular lie at hand. For me, this drives me crazy. I probably should just ignore it and see it as a little flaw but there's something f*cked up in me that won't let this go.

I'm now sitting here realizing my behavior has turned me into something I'm ashamed of. Since catching him in these lies I no longer believe anything he says (this is the root cause of all our fights). This has caused me to look at this phone to see who he's hanging out with or where he's going. It's also caused me to become a freaking detective to prove he's wrong. This is wrong and I don't want to be like this. I love him but he doesn't make me feel secure in this relationship.

And where do I go from here? The easy answer is just stop but I must be so screwed up that I just can't. My need to prove I'm right is too great. I feel so disrespected when he lies. How hard is it to just admit you lied?

I don't kid myself, we all lie...but to what degree. My fibs might be about not eating when I went to the mall when in reality I just ate 3 cinnabons...

I love this man but I don't love this behavior. Lying equals disrespect. I don't understand why he does it? Will it stop one day? Or does he really not love me cause certainly wouldn't a man who really is in love with you not do this? Or is because of me, am I doing something wrong? Am I not giving him what he needs? Or is it him? Does his self esteem play in to this?

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:21 pm
@brendaaahh,
It does not matter.

Leave, don't look back, and block him on all forms of social media. He is utterly untrustworthy.

Sing along with this song if you ever feel yourself wavering (this is also an excuse for me to post Morgan James, who is great):
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:24 pm
Why do some women fib?
roger

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:35 pm
@chai2,
Because men ask questions?
chai2

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:39 pm
@roger,
You're right.
Women never ask questions though, so....
roger

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:47 pm
@chai2,
The hell they don't!
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 03:39 pm
@brendaaahh,
I am suspecting it was lie about your love life?
See you are looking for an advice, typing wall of text and keeping
to yourself important facts like was it a lie that he was going to a
library but went to a museum
Or
Was it a lie that he went to a museum but ends up in Hotel room
with a woman?
It is kind of important to know.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 04:08 pm
@brendaaahh,
Quote:
My need to prove I'm right is too great.

This. You need to stop this as it will interfere in your life.

And, you know that whom ever is in your life, is who he/she is. There is no right or wrong, blame or anything. It's their nature, it's who they are, it's their core person.

Simply put. You don't like it. You feel disrespected. So why stay.
vikorr

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 10:54 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I'll second Found Soul, but I'll add a few things:

- if who he is, results in you not liking who you become around him, and the dislike of yourself is becoming worse & worse...run. Staying is a long slippery slide down into an abyss of self loathing.

- If he is unwilling to change, and the second part of the above holds true...run. For the same reasons

- if you find your behaviour worsening, with no end in sight. Run.

- if you recall how you felt about yourself before you met him, and track how you feel about yourself over the time you've been with him...and it's a slow slide downhill, with no end in sight - Run.

- I think you get the picture.

Wherever possible (if you're looking for a long term relationship), find someone who enhances your self esteem.
High Strangeness

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:12 am
A lot of people are just natural born liars, they usually become politicians.
Miller

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 08:59 am
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

A lot of people are just natural born liars, they usually become politicians.

You've got that right! One other thing, however, they usually become President of the US!! Drunk
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:23 am
Are you interrogating him about his business?

Are you trying to micro-manage his life?

Why would you be concerned about what a man eats?

What would have happened if he had said that - yes - he ate 5 donuts?
Eliusa

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:28 pm
@PUNKEY,
I would flip over 5 donuts!
I need him healthy! And yes I tell him it's time
to go for annual checkup. And I can tell he is
loving it!
Feels like someone cares!
0 Replies

tictacti

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 01:29 pm
@brendaaahh,
If you're already dating him seriously, then it's his personality. Like you, I lie sometimes. Little fibs, never anything that's seriously effecting someone's people. Men and women who lie often about large things, are dangerous people. As you pointed out, you never know what to really believe.
People like this are horrible, horrible people that don't care about anyone but themselves.
0 Replies

ifo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
@brendaaahh,
there are a lot of reasons. and thats a lie
Eliusa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:14 pm
@ifo,
And we still don't know what OP was talking about.
I love these posters!
0 Replies

brendaaahhh

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 02:08 am
@chai2,
Everyone fibs...some to a larger degree than another Smile
0 Replies

brendaaahhh

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 02:52 am
@brendaaahh,
Hello Everyone and thank you for your answers! Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I didn't want to use my personal email address so I created a new one and I forgot the name.....goodness me!

There has been a couple replies on what the lie was. Here's a couple of them. My guy doesn't have a car right now and uses his ex-wife's car now and then. I don't give a hoot that it's her car and he's using it but he can not admit that it's her car. He says it's his guy friends car, then once he says it his guy friends girls car. I laugh and say it's your ex's car why is it so hard to admit. He has a couple pics of her next to this car. My gym that I go to daily is about 3 blocks from where she works and I see this car there all the time. This car is yellow with a design designed onto it. Like I said in my previous post it drives me crazy that he lies and all I want to do is prove to him he's lying. I'm really embarrassed for myself that my only objective now is for him to just admit he's lying. So I bring it up all often. WTF have I become? A couple weeks ago he used it for a week and again kept telling me I'm crazy so this time I proved him right. I went into the glove box and saw the papers that indeed shows it's her car and registered to her. He doesn't know this.
This is actually the point where I just realized I'm not me anymore. I'm not a better person because of him. All these innocent lies don't make me feel safe. Now I see us as the story "the boy who cried wolf".
When we fight he leaves and sometimes stays somewhere else for the night. He claims he sleeps in the car yet comes home fresh and clean (sometime he's at his buddies house). This has caused me to look at his phone and what do I see...him and his ex-wife saying yes come over. Yet he said he wrote this just to piss me off because he knows I will look at his phone and that he never went over there. OMFG come on.

Life has been really hard for him this past year, financially and everything. He's hit rock bottom. I love him and believe this just a bump in the road. I wonder if the lies are because of the situation or if he's just like this. But it seems from the replies that this is a personal trait and can't be changed or can it? For me I don't feel safe or comfortable or secure in this relationship and it has caused me to act in a manner that I shouldn't.
0 Replies

brendaaahhh

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 02:54 am
@vikorr,
Thank you Found Soul. I keep reading your reply over and over and letting it sink in.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:22 pm
@brendaaahhh,
Quote:
For me I don't feel safe or comfortable or secure in this relationship and it has caused me to act in a manner that I shouldn't.

Let it sink in. We have intuition and we are fortunate if only we were to listen to it huh?

It's possible that he had a tormented relationship with his ex, was lying all the time, had an affair, she felt un-comfortable, not safe, secure Smile And left him. But, you know, better the Devil you know. Lends her his car, let's him sleep over.

What is not yours? Doesn't deserve YOU.

Straighten that skirt up, or down kinda, take a look in the mirror and remind yourself of your self worth. Then get yourself a guy that loves you, you back that you do feel safe with, secure with and comfortable with.

0 Replies