Death & Nothingness?

saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 09:13 pm
“Try to imagine what it will be like to go to sleep and never wake up... now try to imagine what it was like to wake up having never gone to sleep.” - Alan Watts

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,547 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:54 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
now try to imagine what it was like to wake up having never gone to sleep.” -

Silly.
saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How??
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:09 pm
@saw038,
It's an impossible "what if" scenario.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11108/
saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I dream. I have vivid dreams. I had a dream a view nights ago where I believed 100% that it was real. I even thought back to other dreams I had had and concluded that this was real.

However, I woke up. I found out that it was not 'real'.

I have had other dreams where I woke up in my room and did things and thought it all to be real...then I woke up for real and found them out to be false.

Now, I present my subjective experience which I know I cannot accurately convey to you.

But regardless, it is something to inquiry about. Because I thought and I believed.

And as Descartes said, "I think, so therefore I am."

That is my question and that is the reason for the quote.
fresco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:19 pm
@saw038,
The Watt's questions were intended to be considered with respect to the possibility of transcending our 'consciousness' based on the limitations of the physical body. Most esoteric systems including major religions have that idea as axiomatic. Gurdjieff, for example, who argues that most of us are 'sleepwalking' interprets the word 'sleep' as used in the bible as 'confinement to lower levels of consciousness'. Also the concept of 'born again' explores the metaphor of 'realization of the reality of the spiritual realm'.
Reactions to such ideas of transcendent levels of consciousness tend to be either of welcome relief, or cynical dismissal.
Ref: 'In Search of the Miraculous'. Ouspensky
saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:25 pm
@fresco,
I love your response, but could you be more specific about the word 'sleep' in regards to the bible? Does it come from the source you referenced or other knowledge you have gained?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:31 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
"I think, so therefore I am."

People think based on their subjective perception of their environment. The influence of the parent's and their genes, siblings, friends, and people "we" meet all have some influence in our lives.
As with fingerprints, we are all different, but are the product of everything we come in contact with, and how it affects us.
saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We may be all different. We may all have different upbringings and environments, but the fundamental that we exist is what I am talking about.

The fact that I am something. That 'I' exists in the world and apparently it also exists in pseudoworlds such as dreams.

We spend one third of our life there so I do not think it should be callously disregarded.
fresco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:43 pm
@saw038,
Yes..Ouspensky refers to Gurdjieff's interpretation of the disciples 'sleeping in the Garden of Gethsemane'.
NB Googling 'Gurdjieff sleep' will produce many references. The best one is generally acknowledged as the Ouspensky book.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 03:58 pm
@saw038,
There are many books on interpreting dreams. I often have relationships with beautiful women in my dreams, but I know they are only dreams. In my awaken state, I also admire beautiful women. I still do at my old age. The only thing I notice is that my definition of what was beautiful in my younger days have been somewhat modified. I'm more interested in the personality of the woman than her outer beauty.
0 Replies