Trump in a nutshell

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:29 am
Trump refused to pay winner of a 2010 golf contest his $1M prize — and when mogul was sued, he doled out settlement using money from his charity

Quote:
Donald Trump once refused to pay a winner of a hole-in-one contest $1 million during a 2010 golf tournament, prompting the competition’s angry winner to sue the mogul, recently unearthed documents from the lawsuit show.

And when the GOP nominee finally settled the suit for $158,000, he did so with money from his charitable foundation, which is illegal.

Under the rules of the competition, Greenberg was entitled to a $1 million prize.

But the rules also stipulated that Greenberg’s shot had to travel at least 150 yards, a distance that Trump’s golf club, allegedly, made the hole short of, on purpose.

Eventually, Trump’s club and Greenberg settled the case, with the company agreeing to donate $158,000 to a charity chosen by Greenberg, which he later decided would be the Martin Greenberg Foundation.

The money given to Greenberg’s charity, however, came from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, tax forms for the mogul’s charity from 2012 show.

Leaders of nonprofit groups and charities are legally forbidden from using money that could benefit themselves or their personal businesses.

I also note that this puts the lie to Trump's claim that he never settles lawsuits.

"I never settle lawsuits, but when I do I illegally pay from my 'charity.'"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,995 • Replies: 61

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:43 am
@DrewDad,
If he would, by some fluke of the laws of physics, get elected, how soon must congress wait before drafting letters of impeachment?

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:46 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If he would, by some fluke of the laws of physics, get elected, how soon must congress wait before drafting letters of impeachment?

Pretty sure he'd need to do something impeachable first. Otherwise there would be a whole lot of recall votes in Congress. If the people vote him in, that's just the way it is. You guys will just have to learn to deal with it.
revelette2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Going by his shady history which is being revealed more every day, it wouldn't be long until he did something impeachable.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:08 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Going by his shady history which is being revealed more every day, it wouldn't be long until he did something impeachable.

I'd be surprised that Trump's shadow could even be made out beneath the blackness of Clinton's history.
parados

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:14 pm
@McGentrix,
If Trump is indicted for fraud or other crimes for the way he used his charity to pay for personal items do you think that would be grounds for impeachment? What if he was convicted? Or do you think Trump would actually resign?

There is no such thing as recall elections for members of Congress or the Senate.
revelette2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:17 pm
@McGentrix,
Which doesn't respond to the statement you are replying to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:42 pm
@parados,
that was my point . A "stashu of limitations" exists on most felonies except murder and treason, so crimes commited in his candidacy time, would they count as "crimes and/or ,misdemeanors"???, and therefire actionable by articles of impeachment?

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 12:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

that was my point . A "stashu of limitations" exists on most felonies except murder and treason, so crimes commited in his candidacy time, would they count as "crimes and/or ,misdemeanors"???, and therefire actionable by articles of impeachment?

I reckon that it would be the same when Clinton has to go on trial about the emails, or any one of her other scandals. We have quite the pair of numbskulls as out candidates.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 01:49 pm
@McGentrix,
What will you do when it finally comes out that there is nothing illegal or treasonous in the 'mystery' emails??? My guess is you will simply follow the slime trail left by Trump and his merry bunch of slime balls and never stop believing the rumors.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
@McGentrix,
Clinton isn't going on trial for her emails. It has been investigated ad nauseum and there are no crimes there. People can't even point to a credible law that would have been violated let alone evidence she might have broken that law.

On the other hand. There is an allegation that Trump has used funds from his charity for personal use. That IS a crime and people have gone to jail for it. It might be possible he would be able to repay the funds and the charity pay a fine for violations without crime being charged but if he did what is alleged there is no defense that it was not a crime under current law.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 02:52 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Pretty sure he'd need to do something impeachable first.

Not true, actually.

Just as a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich, Congress can vote on articles of impeachment any time they want to.

Now, the trial in the Senate probably requires some evidence of wrongdoing....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 03:40 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
We have quite the pair of numbskulls as out candidates.

I might not have picked numbskulls as the descriptor, but I sure don't envy voters having to pick between Clinton/Trump/Klein/Johnson.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:51 pm
@McGentrix,
Real proof, not just your worthless opinion?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:52 pm
@farmerman,
He would just pardon himself and end it there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:01 pm
@parados,
This seems to be the latest on Hillary's emails. Not good for Hillary.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/opinions/hillary-clinton-email-fbi-probe-opinion-cox/index.html
nimh

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 03:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
That's an opinion piece from two and a half months ago, so not really "the latest on Hillary's emails".
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:00 am
@parados,
Quote:
People can't even point to a credible law that would have been violated let alone evidence she might have broken that law.

How about PERJURY??

Talking about using a charity for personal gain? Look right at the Clinton Foundation.

Face it. there are 2 knuckleheads running for President. Yet one has been part of the corruption in Govt for the past 30 years. And you want this to continue?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 08:50 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:
Face it. there are 2 knuckleheads running for President. Yet one has been part of the corruption in Govt for the past 30 years. And you want this to continue?

Another attempt to create a false equivalency.

Clinton's the most qualified person to run for the President in my lifetime.

Trump's a marginally successful business person, in that he hasn't lost his shirt. (He'd be worth over $12 Billion if he'd simply invested his inheritance in Index funds.)
DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 08:52 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:
How about PERJURY??

How about you STFU.