Is Enlightenment/Awareness a prereqisite to Buddhism?

alikimr

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:04 pm
I am not sure if a clarification to the intent of the question is necessary....but, anyway, what I am really asking is this.....can an Aware
and Enlightened person understand Buddhism, or it is the teachings of Buddhism itself that make a person Aware/Enlightened?
This question follows naturally from the Buddhist position that
only after one realizes the state of Nirvana does one in fact become
Enlightened.
My parallel post referring to Science and Buddhism contains the seed of the paradox.....Science is a Dualism discipline....whereas
Buddhism is definetely not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 8
No top replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:27 pm
My understanding is that the teachings of Buddhism can lead one eventually to Enlightenment.

One does not have to be Enlightened to begin practicing the teachings of Buddhism. For example, perhaps I am not Enlightened, but I can try my best to follow the Eightfold Path of Buddhism: Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration.

Perhaps in this life I am not Enlightened but try hard to follow the Eightfold Path. Perhaps I will fall short and backslide in some areas, in any event not be Enlightened. Still, I can make progress on the path by following the Eightfold Path and other teachings of Buddhism, even though I'm not Enlightened.

However, once one is truly Enlightened, the "teachings of Buddhism" and other teachings are irrelevant. Paradox? Yes, at first glance.

My understanding of Enlightenment/Nirvana is that once one is in this state, all need for "teachings" are washed away.

When Buddha reached Nirvana, he no longer needed any "teachings." He didn't need to "go back and study Buddhist Teachings" or something. My understanding is he voluntarily chose to stay, to teach and help other sentient beings reach Nirvana by developing and spreading Buddhist teachings. But he didn't need the teachings any longer.

-Extra(running for cover from Asherman) Medium
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
So... Buddhism, which differentiates between the state of Nirvana and the concept of personal Enlightenment, is not duelist in nature?

Imagine that.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
When the buddist dies what happens?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:31 pm
Extra Medium,

I think you've got it. You've hit the main points, and avoided the most obvious pitfalls. I don't feel any need at this point to add a thing. You done good.

Husker,

Let me refer you over the extended discussion on the Philo form on Souls that is still active.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
Kuvaz,

Personal Enlightement is when one awakens to Nirvana, Ultimate Reality. In Ultimate Reality there are no dimensions, or multiplicity. The Perceptual Reality of mundane existence appears to be made up of many things. Change and valuation are implicit in Perceptual Reality, but not in Ultimate Reality.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
Asherman wrote:
Extra Medium,
I think you've got it. You've hit the main points, and avoided the most obvious pitfalls. I don't feel any need at this point to add a thing. You done good.

Embarrassed

Wow, this has made my month.

I waited The Man's reply in agony. I could already feel the sting of the stick on my outstreched hands: "No, no, NO! You got it all wrong again. Now sit there and meditate on this pain and I'll come back in 4 hours and ask you again...."

And with this, I think I will take a vow of silence forevermore. Before I say something foolish... :wink:

Not!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:48 pm
nicely put Big A. i was tugging his tail.

however, anything personal indicates a differentiation in time and space. one considers consciousness merely the articulation in time and space of the ineffable ground of being.

mere words do not measure up. buddha showed us a way, but such a map is not the journey itself. ...as alan watts said, dont mistake the menu for the meal.

tut tvam asi
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:12 pm
Nice chap, Watts. Met him once on his houseboat across the Bay from San Francisco. We talked a short while and drank some tea. I've forgotten what it was we talked about. Probably, living afloat.
0 Replies