Is Life Futile? And How Can We Know if it is?

Thomas33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:28 pm
@saw038,
Yes. The mystery is if this website is God, as was the set of the film 54, how can that difference be resolved?
saw038

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:35 pm
@Thomas33,
I don't completely follow: resolving the difference between God and what?
Thomas33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:40 pm
@saw038,
If all of reality is God, meaning that the making of the 1998 film 54 was God, as is this website, what is the means to the resolution?
catbeasy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:51 pm
@Thomas33,
Interesting rub..If I argue with you and you and I are God because all is God, then you and I arguing is God arguing with itself. This is actually quite an old observation..
0 Replies

saw038

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:51 pm
@Thomas33,
If everything is God from that movie to this website to you to me, then that is pantheism and there really is no resolution, but I guess to accept the fact that we are all and all things are simply parts of a whole and the whole is God.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think it would appear to render existence worthless, but I think that's viewed from our perspective. I don't think we can imagine what it would be like to be eternal. Would it really be boring? Worthless? Would we feel the ennui like Connor McLoud of the clan McCloud?

It doesn't seem we'd have the same properties. But maybe. Who knows? Kinda reminds me of the chuckle I get watching time travel movies where they show 'what time travel looks like'.
catbeasy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:04 pm
@saw038,
Some interesting discussion here..

I think what keeps us grounded or upends us is certainly not in any small part our upbringing. But yes, also as has been pointed out, our genetics combine with that upbringing making it impossible to know just how someone will respond to similar stimuli.

I think more generally speaking, I agree with what was said earlier as well about survival being sort of innate. You have a head start just from being alive.

Beyond that I think you have to have a purpose, something that you live for that is outside of yourself. I also think you have to feel valued. These are part of being a social being..

These are general things though. I supposed those with purpose and who feel valued could still be depressed. Robin Williams was apparently valued by family and he seemed to have found his purpose. I guess, outside of outside forces, you can't discount the effect of physiological depression as well. Its hard to really know..our perceptions of reasons to live or die will often reflect our own biases.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:17 pm
@catbeasy,
Your mention of Robin Williams shows how difficult it is to generalize anything about life and living.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 12:00 pm
@saw038,
Perfectly natural phenom that has existed forever, things being the way they are because that's the only way they can be
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 10:01 pm
@saw038,
saw038 wrote:
Is Life Futile? . . .
I could be wrong, of course, but the alternative seems like a true bummer.
saw038

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 10:15 pm
@neologist,
"A true bummer" doesn't necessarily make it any less true.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:53 am
Futile futile is making the question...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 07:50 am
@saw038,
Quote:
God discovering itself?

Hope you (or anyone else) don't go down that dead end.

'Purpose' might be over rated as well. Whether you are God or the lowest human, there is but one requirement in life to make it worthwhile.

Something to look forward to.

You need something to fill that requirement in every aspect of life.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
@saw038,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 03:47 pm
Is this perhaps a football question? Is Life Doug Futile, the former NFL QB?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:21 pm
@saw038,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:15 pm
Yes, life is futile . . . it is meaningless. Give up.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 09:36 pm
Is Life Futile? And How Can We Know if it is?

That would mean the one-eyed trouser snaker blows a futile horn.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 09:58 pm
I have found life to be interesting, challenging, and awesome. I believe that those of us fortunate to live in a country that provides equal opportunity for every one is the most fortunate.
Although a slow starter in school, eventually earning a college degree changed everything. Earned decent money, and traveled the world. Most importantly, I have met and made friends from many countries and across the US. That's been the ultimate reward.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 08:15 am
@saw038,
Yeah! Or nature standing off and looking at itsekf. Pure Buddhism.
0 Replies