Is my website slow and confusing?

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 05:54 am
Hello everyone.
I would be grateful for some feedback as to whether my website is slow and confusing and if so whether you think I should change certain bits.
Many thanks,
Pq

www.gestaltarts.co.uk

Region Philbis

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 06:22 am
@The Pentacle Queen,

didn't have any luck trying to get on from my phone...
Setanta

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 06:27 am
What's a gestal tart . . . is that some kind of "lady of the evening?"
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 06:40 am
@Region Philbis,
bollocks. i think it is too graphicy to be downloadable
Region Philbis

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 06:54 am
@The Pentacle Queen,

nice job -- i like it.

it was a little slow-loading on chrome, but once it came up it ran very smoothly...
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 08:16 am
Ideas straight from my design class -

If you feel the need to animate the loading sequence, then the loading sequence is too long (Are you using Flash? It crashes browsers and is on its way out anyway). Also, please don't center text. A phone will do that for you, and it doesn't look good on a website. Left-justify only, please.

The site didn't come up on my phone at all. I just get a blank screen. I looked at your theme's information, and they show compatibility with browsers but not with phones. No matter that it says it's responsive; it just doesn't seem to be responsive in practice. Can you get it on a friend's phone? Try several phones, several types. Here's another theme that same company makes; it might be a better fit for phones.

You can use Screenfly to test resolution on various sized devices, but that doesn't tell you whether a site loads at all.

I also clicked around; a few of the pages link to 404 (http://carysbeard.wix.com/designer and http://cargocollective.com/nayantarakotian/Arpana-Productions are two) or to older sites (http://mrhg2.user.srcf.net/index.html and http://www.williamcole.co.uk/ are two) which are unresponsive to changes in screen size. Your group would do well to update their sites and add responsive themes so their work looks good on mobile. WordPress does this extremely well (although as you can see some themes work better than others) and will also help a bit with SEO.

Speaking of SEO, if you are planning on blogging, use the Yoast plugin for SEO.

Anyway, image-heavy sites are slow, as you already know. And make sure to design for mobile. There are a lot of people whose only means of getting on the Internet is via their phones.

Hope this helps! The graphics are lovely and very clean. Maybe scale them down to save on load time?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:23 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Stops at 12%, must be glitch
Sturgis

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
Parts load quickly...got to the Peckham Asylum, which shows in page links work...other parts seem to freeze up, but that might be more an issue on my end.

Overall, looks good and for me it was easy to figure the navigation.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Same, went to 20% then went backwards down to 7%, then after around 12 seconds ran to 100% quickly.

Scrolling down, at the 4th section it wouldn't load.

Love Jespah... One day, I may need you Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:47 pm
My computer is too slow to load the site.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 19 Sep, 2016 05:00 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Took a couple of tries to load it - then most of it was fine -except for Clive - the graphic there wasn't happy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 20 Sep, 2016 06:57 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
It's not loading for me, (UK based, relatively new home computer.)

Sorry.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 20 Sep, 2016 09:14 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'm mildly confused why there are side arrows that one in theory can scroll horizontally for other articles/potential pages/etc... and they don't really do anything.

The What's Next is pretty outdated with the last thing dated August 11th (albeit ongoing...).

How about changing this part to Ongoing and Past Projects (until you actually post upcoming future projects or make this page separate from the What's Next (future project) page?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:12 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Just saw this. Beautiful!
0 Replies