Arguing Without the Quote Button

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:09 pm
'Sall right.

Anything else you need to know before I go to work?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:12 pm
You all seem to be under the impression that I've never argued with my mother (or even another woman) before. It's just that I only recently realized how frustrating trying it is to argue without being able to quote back to other statements.

Back when I was younger, I used to argue with my mother as an act of rebellion (as most of us did), and would pull the same tricks that she recently did with me. So, as an experiment, I began a discussion with one of my peers and argued like a woman. Needless to say, the discussion quickly devolved into an argument and we both got upset. Just goes to show you that only women have the wit and talent to win an argument through fallacy and illogic.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:18 pm
dlowan wrote:
'Sall right.

err, ....Do you feel up to arguing about something? Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
Individual wrote:
You all seem to be under the impression that I've never argued with my mother (or even another woman) before. It's just that I only recently realized how frustrating trying it is to argue without being able to quote back to other statements.

Back when I was younger, I used to argue with my mother as an act of rebellion (as most of us did), and would pull the same tricks that she recently did with me. So, as an experiment, I began a discussion with one of my peers and argued like a woman. Needless to say, the discussion quickly devolved into an argument and we both got upset. Just goes to show you that only women have the wit and talent to win an argument through fallacy and illogic.

You got some facts to back that one up, Individual?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
Dlowan,
nevermind, you answered my question.

Lets say a brief prayer for Individual, now. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
extra medium wrote:
dlowan wrote:
'Sall right.

err, ....Do you feel up to arguing about something? Embarrassed Laughing

Oh - I am always up for a good argument - makes my synapses crackle...

But I think Individual may consider this harmless byplay as a hijacking of his thread.

Mebbe we need an argument thread??? Sad thing is, though, that they generally just turn into contradiction threads.

It would be fun to have a real silly debate thread, you know - I mean to have proper arguing - but about ridiculous subjects.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:28 pm
This is not an argument.

However, this is.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
It would be fun to have a real silly debate thread, you know - I mean to have proper arguing - but about ridiculous subjects.

That is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard of.

Rationale: It would be a waste of both cyberspace and human worker time which could otherwise be used for more productive activities, such as putting in extra time at the office.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:34 pm
Lol - I suggested another thread!!!!

But - I could run you a really fun argument on that topic!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
Ooh, please do! That sounds like fun.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:48 pm
Do it bunny....I sooo need to see how this turns out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:53 pm
Lol - work - after work...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
There is nothing new under the sun. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
Ok - client hasn't turned up.

Quick beginngs of argument in favour of silly debates:

Do we all agree that the ability to reason soundly and look logically at an issue is a good thing?

Do we agree that learning to do this well often happens in dialogue with others, where our reasoning and the bases for our beliefs is roundly challenged?

Do we agree that human beings naturally learn best when they are able to listen and take things in, when their creativity is engaged, when they are having fun, when they are DOING the thing they are learning about, as well as hearing about it, or seeing others do it? And that a very basic part of all human learning begins in play?

So - silly debates.

When we are debating about core, hot button, issues, often we find it difficult to put aside our passions and really engage with our opponents' arguments, and to observe the discipline of good debate (for anyone attempting to assert that this is only true of women, I refer you to Politics and Religion eg., here on these very boards)

Also, often the best debates are found on those self-same boards - but many are a little heitant to leap in, and hone their skills, for fear of the very emotional and aggressive responses they may get - or because they feel hesitant about their abilities in the area.

When, however, we humans engage in playful debate, we are able to practice the skills of reason and logic and good argument construction in an atmosphere more conducive to good learning, because it is less engaging of the passions which tend to cloud our judgment, and many of us have less fearfulness about engaging in debate.

We are also, I would contend, more able to gain skill in really listening to our opponents' arguments, however silly they may be, and in being flexible about our own stances in such playful argument - though the full gamut of reason and logic is available to us.

Similarly, the pactice of arguing counter to one's own beliefs is a piece of play that I think is a very helpful one.

The play's the thing!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
And I like silly debates, too.

So yah boo sucks to anyone who doesn't.

Last one in is a rotten egg.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
Baaa
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:55 pm
Humbug.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:57 pm
I don't know why, but that seriously tickled my funny bone. Ahhh, the yid gene awakens!
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:56 am
other buttons
Quote buttons would be nice but when it comes to arguments with the wife I'd opt for a mute button, pause button, possibly rewind or fast forward, and some days an eject. Or maybe a put the credit card back in the wallet and keep walking button. Or a simple yes dear button. Actually that would do just fine. No matter what the need, one click of the button and "yes dear" is all we need to content with.

(meanwhile the wives are working behind out backs to come up with the lets go shopping buttons, get off the couch and mow the lawn buttons, and the dreaded loss of desire to watch football buttons)
0 Replies