What is Aleppo? Gary Johnson foxed by Syria question

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Gary Johnson Can't Name A Single Foreign Leader
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 12:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have one, at least what I know about him, and he's a good dancer too..
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Jeez.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
He disqualified himself by huge embarrassments.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd like to get JPB's take on this.

from june 2016

http://able2know.org/topic/308396-95#post-6214817
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 03:09 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/gary-johnson-touts-inability-to-name-foreign-leaders.html

Quote:
The ostensible point of Johnson’s tweet is to suggest that he hadn’t struggled to recite the name of a single foreign leader — rather, he had correctly intuited that no nation on planet Earth is currently governed by an avowed libertarian.

There are a couple of problems with this line. One is that Johnson wasn’t asked to name a head of state he wishes to directly emulate, only to identify one he respects. This should not be a difficult task. Johnson is a strong supporter of expansionary immigration and could praise aspects of Angela Merkel’s handling of the migration crisis, even as he identified policy areas where their views diverged. Or he could have voiced his admiration for Justin Trudeau’s leadership on marijuana legalization, even while criticizing the Canadian prime minister’s affinity for big government.

Or Johnson could have simply said, “Actually, there is no leader I look up to because none practice my philosophy of government.”

But instead, Johnson sputtered his lips, paralyzed by his own ignorance.

The other problem is that, even if one accepted that Johnson’s difficulty stemmed from his ideology, that line creates its own problems: The fact that no modern, democratic nation has ever endorsed the libertarian view of government might suggest something unflattering about the popularity and feasibility of that vision.

Johnson’s “Aleppo moments” are inexcusable — not least because they set back one of the libertarian’s more admirable causes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 05:34 pm
DURHAM, N.H. (The Borowitz Report)—Asked at a town-hall meeting on Wednesday to name his favorite foreign leader, the Libertarian Presidential candidate Gary Johnson seemed stumped at first before finally responding, “Obi-Wan Kenobi.”

The host of the town hall, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, initially appeared taken aback by Johnson’s answer, but the former New Mexico governor went on to defend it vigorously.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Jedi Master, Chris,” Johnson said. “More than anyone else, he taught me that the Force is already strong with me.”

“We’re on the same page about this, aren’t we, Bill?” he asked his running mate, the former Massachusetts Governor William Weld, who smiled weakly and shifted awkwardly in his chair.

As the town-hall audience murmured nervously, Matthews reframed the question for Johnson. “What I meant was, Governor, could you name your favorite world leader on this planet?” he asked.

Again, Johnson seemed perplexed, before eventually replying, “Frodo.”

The Libertarian Party announced on Thursday that Johnson would participate in no additional town halls.

Andy Borowitz is a New York Times best-selling author and a comedian who has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He writes the Borowitz Report for newyorker.com.
hingehead

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“Frodo.”

I often wondered if we're on middle earth, or upper or lower. Or maybe mezzanine.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 01:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't know why, but that made me think of this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ0ybDTUsAA45MV.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 07:04 am
NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—In an appearance Friday on CNN, Gary Johnson, the Libertarian Presidential nominee, promised that as President he would get tough on East Korea.

“This behavior is unacceptable,” he said. “The East Koreans are making us look like idiots.”

While stressing that he remained, for the most part, an isolationist, he said, “I will do everything in my power as President to support our allies in West Korea.”

He also blasted the Obama Administration for its “lack of transparency” in conducting foreign policy. “I think it’s unconscionable that I just found out about these countries today,” he said.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 11:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Why does this guy who knows nothing continue to embarrass himself. Doesn't he have people around him to inform him to keep his mouth shut? LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 12:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am speechless (almost).

If you made up a story like Gary Johnson, nobody would believe you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 01:01 pm
@hingehead,
The floor below basement.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 08:57 pm
and Johnson's running mate chimes in with

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/30/politics/bill-weld-hillary-clinton-qualified/index.html

Quote:
Washington (CNN)Libertarian vice presidential hopeful Bill Weld said Friday that he's "not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president of the United States," the latest misstep in what's been a painful week for the third-party ticket.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 10:47 pm
Johnson is about what the Republicans would have probably nominated instead of Trump, had the situation on the ground been different. I am definitely not a fan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:19 pm
Thinking of voting for Gary Johnson? Ask yourself these questions:
Want to eliminate the minimum wage? Pass the TPP? End federal spending on healthcare and education? Abolish environmental regulations because someday the Sun will swallow the Earth?
If you said "Yes" to all, then voting Libertarian is for you.

from Jill Stein
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:39 pm
I defended him to Izzy as not stupid, re the Aleppo debacle. I prefaced it by saying I'd never vote for him (I've much disagreement) but not automatically taking him as stupid on a tv question he didn't get.

I give up, being dead wrong.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Ok, my guy was Justin Trudeau. Sniff, no one asked. Given more attention, I'd probably find stuff wrong with him too. So, I'll stop paying attention. I'm tired of all these mad men.

Which doesn't mean I'm mad for Hillary Clinton, as anyone who has read my stuff knows.
Of course I will vote for her.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 07:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The reason I will vote for Hillary is based on the fact that she has spent her life to better the lives of children all around the world.
Her treatment of her emails is a non-issue when I look upon her total character.
She has already admitted it was a mistake, and she won't do it again. That's good enough for me! Her future contribution to children is more important. I don't know of another person who can be a better advocate for the children of this world.
http://www.redandblack.com/athensnews/michelle-obama-showcases-hillary-clinton-s-devotion-to-american-children/article_4259acc0-52ee-11e6-9f4f-9321f5b3e590.html
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know and agree with this.
The question is: who cares?

I'm entirely surprised how many people in the US are for this guy.

Scary city.
0 Replies