What is Aleppo? Gary Johnson foxed by Syria question

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 02:31 am
Quote:
One of the third-party candidates in the US presidential election has been ridiculed after being wrong-footed by a question on a key Syrian battleground.

Asked what he would do about the city of Aleppo, if elected, Libertarian Gary Johnson answered: "What is Aleppo?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37309763<br />

And I thought Trump was ignorant.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,150 • Replies: 82

saab

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:07 am
@izzythepush,
Sometimes I wish there were special schools for "want to be politicians"
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:10 am
@saab,
The bloke down the pub who doesn't know anything knows what's going on in Aleppo. It would be hard to miss, but Johnson somehow managed to.
hingehead

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 06:59 am
@izzythepush,
Aleppo - are they in the Champions League this year?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 07:02 am
@hingehead,
The got knocked out by Damascus Lokomotiv.
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm
Aleppo was once the financial capitol of Syria, where a Sephardic community once existed. Today that community is in Israel or NYC. Who doesn't now this? While many people think they know a Jew by a "Jewish look," they usually are thinking of an Ashkenazi look, that reflects mixing in many countries. The Sephardim can be mistaken for Greek, Italian, or some other Mediterranean people. Also, the women are extremely style conscious, and tend to be Modern Orthodox. Glad you asked.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
What???? I thought Aleppo was a designer line of yoga duds.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 01:49 pm
@glitterbag,
For me it's always Macbeth.

"Her husband's to Aleppo gone, master o' the Tiger,"
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 02:02 pm
@glitterbag,
To me, it's Pinus halepensis, aka Aleppo pine.

On Johnson, I agree with him on one or two or a few things and disagree on scads of others. No way I'd vote for him, but I don't hate him or really fear him like I do Mr. Trump. That I keep seeing Trump's photos all over the news makes me mentally nauseated. Hardly any of us follow everything going on in the world in detail; I did know about Aleppo's horror, but I'm at this point in my life a news hobbyist. The guy is running for president, and he did know at least that Syria's a mess, just hadn't clocked the name Aleppo. Bit of a small bruhaha to me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I think Johnson didn't frequent your pub often enough. ..................... Wink
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Or any pub.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:34 am
@ossobucotemp,
How can he not have clocked the name Aleppo and still be aware of what's happening in Syria? It doesn't make sense. It shows a level of ignorance one would not expect in anyone serious about running a country.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:09 am
@ossobucotemp,
We have an Aleppo pine bonsai, Its almost 70 years old and was my mom's prize plant(I think my dad looted japanese officers quarters or homes in Burma. I didnt wanna get in izzy's face, since he loves to make his points about how stupid Americans are.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:21 am
@farmerman,
Hopefully I don't think Gary Johnson is representative of all Americans.

When have I ever called you stupid?
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 09:15 am
I think you're being too critical. The guy was asked "what would you do about Aleppo if you were elected" completely out of context. He obviously is educated on Syria and showed that later in the interview. Not everyone is going to immediately process a relatively unfamiliar group of syllables. He might've thought Aleppo was an acronym. It's like being asked out of the blue "what would you do about Sana'a." Few people would straight away think Yemen.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:11 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Not everyone is going to immediately process a relatively unfamiliar group of syllables.

It's not unfamiliar it's in the news right now.

Quote:
In Syria, rescue workers in the rebel-held part of Aleppo say that government forces have used chlorine gas to attack civilians.

They say helicopters dropped barrel bombs containing the chemical on the Sukari neighbourhood.

President Assad's government has always denied using chemical weapons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37292143

How could he not know about this war crime that happened not long before his interview?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:14 am
@izzythepush,
One thing I thought was odd was how the questioner pronounced Aleppo. It wasn't the way I'm used to hearing it. I'm not sure I would have recognized it - though in the context of being interviewed as a presidential candidate, I'd hope my team would have better prepared me.

My first thought on hearing the clip was ... doesn't the interviewer know what that word is. Ohhhh it's supposed to be Aleppo.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:16 am
@ehBeth,
Not seen it, but you'd think a professional interviewer would know how to pronounce place names. Wouldn't happen on the BBC.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:26 am
@izzythepush,
Using the BBC as an example isn't meaningful. BBC announcers have their own pronunciation tics that are distinct from what you hear in other parts of the world.

I listen to Monocle as well as other international radio programs most nights. Pronunciation varies significantly by region/country/background.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
Asked what he would do about the city of Aleppo, if elected, Libertarian Gary Johnson answered: "What is Aleppo?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37309763<br />

that isn't how the question was phrased

<slaps BBC reporter's wrist>

throwing in a clip here

___

Separately - while I want/expect leaders to be able to think on their feet - a little context would have helped.