Does wearing thick glasses make one unatrractive?

Jack91

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 12:08 am
Hi,
I am a guy 24 years old, student. I have been lonely for some years now and I cannot figure out why. I am not that shy. I meet girls in events, classes, etc. I have small conversations with them. Some of them seem to enjoy talking with me. BUT after they leave and I try to contact them with facebook, phone ,... some of them do not answer and some of them make lame excuses to avoid hanging out with me. It just seems that none of them were interested in me. So I focused to find out what's wrong with me. And the only major weak point that I can notice, is that I wear really thick glasses. So I was wondering, does wearing them make me extremely unattractive? would it help me, if I had a eye correction surgery?

looking forward to see your answers. I appreciate any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,194 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
Whatever it is, I don't think it's glasses. I wear thick glasses, and I had lots of girlfriends and have been married three times.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
@contrex,
As you likely know, since you have a sharp mind (not sucking up, it's a true fact), some fair portion of women like me like guys for their minds, and of course other body members - movie star handsomeness not a requirement. Myself, I was no 'dog' in those days of yore.

Lots of us have had thick glasses, but my own now are fairly thin, even the legally blind eye lense. I'm lucky the other one is good enough for seeing. Years ago, I wore contact lenses for vanity's sake (some funny stories there). Then I said the hell with it, re the bother, and went back to glasses. We don't know where Jack91 lives, but there are various lenses available other than "coke bottle" - money, of course. I've no idea of prices now since my eyes are stable. I had an old friend who had coke bottle glasses, one of my female pal group, and was very happy re contact lenses.

So, this breaks down to Jack worrying about being dismissed re his glasses and about how this makes him feel. Contrex didn't have attraction problems, probably because of a fair level of self confidence. So, to me, self confidence is what to work on.
contrex

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Contrex didn't have attraction problems, probably because of a fair level of self confidence. So, to me, self confidence is what to work on.

I felt that if a woman despised me purely because of my glasses then clearly she must be very stupid, and I certainly didn't want to go out with stupid people, so I wasn't missing anything.

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:51 pm
@contrex,
Nods.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
To get closer to the taint of thick glasses, the old friend I talked about, rescued by contact lenses, this was in the sixties, had extremely thick ones, and coke bottle was the right description.

So, now I am wondering what Jack thinks is thick?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 03:48 pm
To elaborate, I had glasses, what Americans call "English snaggle teeth", a broken nose, and I am not exactly handsome, and I spent my 20s and 30s shagging my ass off.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 04:19 pm
@contrex,
Making me laugh - I've never heard of english snaggle teeth as a concept, but I do know us americans can be idiots about teeth...
I tend to like free teeth.

I admit to following the english equivalent of the Washington Post's Date Lab, called Blind Date. Part of continuing learning..
Jack91

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 09:02 am
@ossobucotemp,
Hey Guys! Thanks for your replies!
For the record, I live in Munich, Germany for two years now. I speak both English and German so communication should not be a problem.

I think you are right. Glasses cannot be such a big deal. I am drawing a blank here. I think I should consult with an adviser of some sort.
0 Replies