grammar question, again

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 08:01 pm
Should I say/write:
1)
I was hid OR I was hidden. Does the first include an implicit reference to another party who hid me? Is the second completely neutral? Such that "I was hid from sight" and "I was hidden from sight" have two different meanings?
2)
Similarly, in the cases of "I was freed of his clutches" and "I was free of his clutches," is the meaning different, the first implying a something which did the freeing. Or can they both be neutral? Or is one maybe incorrect?

Thanks for the help Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 815 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 12:28 am
@perennialloner,
These are correct, the others not:

I was hidden.
I was freed from his clutches.
perennialloner

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 05:53 am
@contrex,
Thank you, contrex. So after a "to be" verb I should always use the past participle, if I'm not using an adjective instead? Could someone explain the correction of from please too.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 06:03 am
Freed from means liberated from some trap or restriction; free of means not suffering from some bad thing. I was freed from prison on June 1st; I have been free from pain for two weeks.
perennialloner

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 06:48 am
@contrex,
Wouldn't that mean

I was free of his clutches can be correct, then? As in, I was free of the suffering caused by his clutches instead of literally liberated from them?
contrex

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 08:13 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Wouldn't that mean

I was free of his clutches can be correct, then? As in, I was free of the suffering caused by his clutches instead of literally liberated from them?

Yes.
0 Replies