God never gives you more than you can take.

Terry

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 12:27 pm
While "God never gives you more than you can handle" may be a comforting platitude, it is refuted by statistics on nervous breakdowns, drug and alcohol abuse, and people who take out their frustrations by beating spouses and children.

Yes, God/Fate/Chance/Life gives some people more than they can handle alone. Faith-based belief in your own abilities may allow you to do more than you thought you could, but sometimes you need tangible assistance and support from other people. The problem is that those who most need help may not know it is available or may not be able to ask.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 12:31 pm
my reply....horseshit....
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:33 pm
To what part BPB - don't just horseshit and run - give us a little more than that bro!

TF
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:50 pm
I believe People get more than they can handle constantly....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
Then, they'd be dead.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:08 pm
Lash wrote:
Then, they'd be dead.

Well, sometimes they do die. Or end up in mental hospitals, become "dead inside," etc.

Lets take someone who witnessed a very traumatic event, like seeing their entire family get killed. Later, they develop post traumatic stress disorder, and it slowly drives them mad, incapacitates them, and they end up in a mental hospital. Try as they might, doctors cannot help them become better. They waste away, locked up.

Were they just "being weak" (they actually had the strength to handle all this but chose to copout to the mental hospital)?

Or did god or something, in effect "give them more than they could handle?"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
extra medium, that touches on what bothers me most about this line of thinking -- when it becomes blame the victim. ("If he'd only trusted in God...")
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 11:15 am
extra medium--

I definitely don't want you or anyone else thinking that I believe people who have horrible crap happening to them are in any way to blame for the inability to handle it.

I was sort of saying in a smart ass way that if you're still here, you have been able to handle it so far.

And, re sozobe's comment. That thinking is deplorable to me. While I gave a personal anecdote about the thread topic, and talked around it a bit--I don't really know what to think...a serious response to this topic. Life can hand you a world of crap. I don't really even think God is "at the controls"--for some reason, I think we're on automatic pilot, but God can provide guidance and comfort, while we navigate it...

Course, I could be wrong...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
Lash wrote:
Then, they'd be dead.

and we all die...so it follows......
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:16 am
Lash wrote:
I do believe attitude and/or faith determines whether adversity makes you stronger, or kills you slowly.

I'm currently facing events so horrible, you wouldn't believe me if I shared them. I have actually considered suicide in the lowest moments--but survived--and will not consider it again.

Please share! When I look around at people, it seems that their lives are so flawless. It makes me feel like the only screw up that exist on this earth.

Suicidal? I understand that emotion. I have felt it. I really do not see any light at the end of the tunnel for me or would have more strength to hang in there.

After the insanity of my life, I belive anything!! Please post or hit me with a PM. Life get so confusing. It is actually comforting to know I am not alone and struggling so hard.

Is spirituality the answer? My brother keeps trying to convince me this is what I am lacking, in life, which is why I take everything as my personal responsibility. He says to hand it over to God. There are so many religious beliefs out there, I don't know what God I should be handing my burden in life over to. It doesn't make sense to an Agnostic, completely ignorant of religion, so I go with reality, as I see it. It is pretty depressing!!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:40 pm
Wildflower63 wrote:
He says to hand it over to God. There are so many religious beliefs out there, I don't know what God I should be handing my burden in life over to.

I've always wondered where these people draw the line who say "Let God Take Care of Everything."

For example: yesterday on the way to work I saw this bumpersticker that said: "Why Worry? God is at the Controls."

Ironically, that bumpersticker made me worry MORE...that is, I gave that particular car more space on the road. Very Happy

I had this vision that this person must have some secret direct connection to God that enabled God to somehow drive their car, whereas the rest of us underlings were driving our own cars.

Is this person driving down the road letting "God" steer? Really?
Are these people letting "God" drive them down the Road of Life? How the H. does that work?

And there is so much disagreement on where to draw the line. Some groups for example, resist using medicines that are known to cure diseases because they'd rather "leave it in god's (or faith-healing's) hands."

Anyone know what how "leaving it in God's hands" can be useful? When you "leave something up to God" how do you know you aren't simply copping out and there is something more YOU could have done to improve a situation? (ie, instead of leaving it up to God's hands and only searching 16 hours/day, you search 24/7 and find a place that has a difficult new cure for your child's disease).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
Wildflower--

When PMs are back up...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:45 pm
Lash wrote:
Wildflower--

When PMs are back up...

I'm waiting for an email Embarrassed