Not "Agent", but the word "Employer" is a bit heavy. any other smoother nicer word that means Employ

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 01:19 pm
I am building a website 2 connect talents with Agents, but Agents can be a bride looking for a singer for her wedding or a chef for her dinner party. I am afraid the audience will not link the word agent to any kind of employer, and the word "Employer" sounds heavy. What other words can you suggest?

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 01:27 pm
Perhaps 'client'. The word 'agent' does not mean what you seem to think it does.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 01:45 pm
@contrex,
em·ploy·er
[əmˈploiər]
NOUN
a person or organization that employs people.
synonyms: manager · boss · proprietor · director · chief executive ·
chief · president · head man · head woman · bossman · skipper · padrone · company · firm · business · organization · manufacturer
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 01:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
em·ploy·er

Mansplaining what 'employer' means... yes, I knew that, but the person who uses the web site to find a wedding singer or chef, or whatever, is a client of that web site. When I worked for an employment agency, the people or companies who used us to get temporary workers with specified skills for a day or a week or six months were the 'clients'. We linked workers with clients, and made money by charging the clients a fee for our services.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 01:57 pm
@contrex,
There's still a boss/employee relationship.
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There's still a boss/employee relationship.

What the OP was asking about was an alternative to 'employer' and I supplied 'client', which has a history of use for this purpose.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:13 pm
@contrex,
Boss/employee, boss/client, and boss/customer.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:18 pm
The OP wanted an alternative to employer, and seemed to be using 'agent' which will not do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:19 pm
@contrex,
manager · boss · proprietor · director · chief executive ·chief · president · head man · head woman · bossman · skipper · padrone · company · firm · business · organization · manufacturer
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:23 pm
You're still missing the point. Or maybe you are being mischievous. If the OP thinks 'employer' is a bit heavy, then they aren't going to think much of 'padrone', 'boss', etc. Your choices seem to have a heavy bias in favor of gung-ho 'guy in charge' type meanings.
perennialloner

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:26 pm
@Alexanaim,
maybe sponsor or patron, if you're trying to connect people with talents who want support/funding. client's probably the best option tho
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:34 pm
@contrex,
How about Generalissimo?
contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

How about Generalissimo?

Even better, Führer.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 02:40 pm
Headhunter.

Actually, here in the US, they're usually called recruiters or acquisition managers (if they are higher up in a company) but those people are in the business of looking for employees.

A bride looking to hire a wedding band is a kind of manager and the band, chef, dressmaker, etc. are vendors.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 03:02 pm
When I did book-keeping gigs via the agency I later worked for in their HQ, it was made very clear to all concerned that the companies (the clients) I was working at were not my employer. I was not to be subject to their internal disciplinary processes. The agency took care of all that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 03:04 pm
@contrex,
That's because your employer understood that some "scientific" adjustments were not GAAP.

I like Führer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 06:56 am
@Alexanaim,
Contractor?

Host?

Organizer?
0 Replies

Alexanaim

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:38 am
@contrex,
Hi, Thanks alot for your help.

I did think of client, but I think client is more of a professional or serious word, I was looking for something more smoother or cooler if you know what i mean.
0 Replies

Alexanaim

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:39 am
@contrex,
Hi, thanks alot for your help.

I did think of the word "Client" but was looking for something smoother or cooler. Smile
0 Replies

Alexanaim

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:42 am
@contrex,
Hi thanks, I guess you understand what I mean, that's true these words are great but does not fit where I want it to fit.

To help you a little more, I was even going as far as cool sentences like "I have the money" or "The person that wants you for a job" but unfortunately these are too long too RazzRazz
0 Replies