'A Racist Is as a Racist Does'

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 02:43 pm
@woiyo,
How do you figure? Republicans have been in power in most states longer than Dems. That's how the people of Flint got poisoned.

Republicans have held Congress and Senate and the White House and the SCOTUS most of the last sixty years. Thats who's responsible.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 03:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

How do you figure? Republicans have been in power in most states longer than Dems. That's how the people of Flint got poisoned.

Republicans have held Congress and Senate and the White House and the SCOTUS most of the last sixty years. Thats who's responsible.

I actually smacked my forehead after reading this... I've kept reading your posts because sometimes I enjoy them and they make sense. This one is waaaaay out there. Are you actually going to blame Congress and SCOTUS for the problems in Flint, Baltimore, Detroit and other places that were run into the ground by Democrat mayors, councils and governors?

Seriously?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:02 am
@engineer,
Unemployment by race shows African Americans at over 8% and as high as 18% in certain demographics. Not counting the 30% of those younger than 10 is this what you call a great economy?
engineer

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:17 am
@woiyo,
It's a sad fact the African American unemployment is higher than white unemployment, but historically, yes this is a great economy. This graph shows unemployment numbers. You can see that for both whites and blacks, the picture is dramatically better than in 2009.

http://apps.npr.org/dailygraphics/graphics/black-unemployment-20160205/child.html?
revelette2

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:27 am
All Trump aside, I am curious and interested in knowing why blacks unemployment has remained higher. I wonder what it would take to change that sad status for the black community. I really haven't heard too many answers from anyone. I have a feeling if people did put their heads together to change that, people would say, it is reverse discrimination.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:11 am
@giujohn,
There are several members on A2K who have many accounts. I have only one.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:16 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

... nothing has changed in the lives of the many who live there.

Those, who could move have moved and will continue to move ( case in Chicago). As more move out, further slums develop together with migration of gang members and violence.

It'll never end. Chicago's had a female mayor, a black mayor, a Jewish mayor, many Irish mayors....nothing changes. The slums just keep on rolling... and not all the mayors were dems...

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:29 am
Quote:
The reality is that the African American community has seen job growth, lower crime and more opportunity

Looks like someone is living in LaLa land! If this is you idea of "REALITY",
explain why close to 500 homicides have taken place in Chicago from Jan to Aug, 2016.

Job growth? According to present stats, the growth rate for the US is close to 1%. The only opportunity, poor and middle class folks have is to work their butts off, apply for welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, tax rebates, and try to get on with their sorrowful, tax-burdened lives.

If you want an "opportunity" you have to almost drive yourself to hell and back to get anyone to help you. Ask anyone begging on the street, or ask folks trying to get medical care in a State that offers only one Insurance plan...Or...go further and ask the poor folks in one State of the US, where no Obama Care Insurance is being offered.

Talk about opportunity all you want. Instead of talking, for God's sake, try and do something about it for others, who don't have the financial assets and education you have.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:14 am
A school banned BLM t-shirts but allowed Confederate flag t-shirts...(until now)

Students Protest After Arizona School Bans Black Lives Matter Shirts But Allow Confederate Flag

Only after complaints of a double standard did the administration announce that confederate flag clothing would no longer be accepted on school grounds.

The incident occurred on the school’s picture day last Tuesday, when Havard, a sophomore, said she purposefully wore her Black Lives Matter T-shirt.

Soon after arriving, she was called into the office of an assistant principal who told her that the school’s dress code policy banned clothing and accessories which could “disrupt the education process,” saying that another student had complained about her T-shirt. She was then given a plain white T-shirt and told she had to change out of her BLM one.

Havard complied but not before posting a picture of herself on Facebook and then calling her mother, who had a meeting with the administration the following day to clarify the policy, citing the fact that confederate flag T-shirts had been worn by students in the past with no penalty.

In support of Havard, fellow student, Genesis Santoyo wore a BLM T-shirt to school Wednesday and was told to change as well.

“Today, I felt as though I was being punished for being proud of my culture … in the principal’s office, my dad kept on asking him why they’re suppressing me and why it’s not okay for me to be proud of who I am,” Santoyo told 12 News.

Only after Santoyo complained of a double standard concerning acceptable T-shirts did the school administration announce that clothes displaying the confederate flag would no longer be accepted on school grounds.

But some felt that to equate the racist symbol with the movement against police killings of Black people missed the point entirely.

As Havard explained on her Facebook page, “The creator of the confederate flag in his own words said, ‘As a people we are fighting to maintain the heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race.’”

Be Sociable, Share!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1762670383973376&set=a.1483029075270843.1073741828.100006912945842&type=3&theater

Baldimo

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
As Havard explained on her Facebook page, “The creator of the confederate flag in his own words said, ‘As a people we are fighting to maintain the heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race.’”

I guess she doesn't know the difference between the Confederate Flag and the Confederate Battle Flag. Doesn't matter, she had a pointless point she had to make, damn the facts...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:02 am
@engineer,
Great for the upper class who have seen their net worth grow at extraordinary rates. Middle class has been flat with diminishing income and the lower class is expanding as a result.

So you must be in the rich group.
engineer

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:50 am
@woiyo,
The gains we've seen in the last seven years since the great recession have been targeted at the lower and middle classes, but the reality is that the great recession really was a killer. Only in the last year or so have we got to the point where there is upward pressure on salaries which is what you need to help the middle class.

That said, we have seen real improvement in employment for all racial groups. When Trump paints his view of a wasteland for minority voters, a terrible economy, a collapsing America, it flies in the face of reality. The US has been pretty much the only bright spot in the global economy for the last couple of years. I've visited several plants for the company I work for that are having trouble finding people to fill openings for decent, blue collar manufacturing jobs. The US economy is generating jobs like mad and has been for a while.

PS: If you are really concerned about the growth of upper class wealth at the expense of the middle class, you should be concerned about Trump's proposed tax cut for the wealthy as well as his rabid racism.
0 Replies