Hillary the prostitute, Pay to Play

roger

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2016 07:55 pm
@RABEL222,
$1000 for 6 days; 1875 for thirteen days. About the same only the only insurance I paid for was Medicare B.

Here's how it works. Suppose the hospital charges 200, but medicare only allows 100. They pay 80% of 100 and you pay 20% of 100. Not 20% of the 200 the hospital thinks their service is worth. Sounds like you and I had about the same actual out of cost per day. The only difference is that you paid 3,240 in premiums, and that was my point in posting. It sounds like you have crap for insurance.

No, this was not VA hospital. When you have a stroke, you really don't feel like driving 200 miles and arriving at 2:00 am.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2016 08:36 pm
@RABEL222,
Seriously? Sorry I was actually interested in something you had to say. I guess we can return to our normally scheduled pissing match.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:44 am
@roger,
I think slowly expanding Medicare is probably our best bet to getting to a single payer system.

The insurance companies are too entrenched; going straight to single payer would be horribly disruptive at this point.

We need to start squeezing them the same way the tobacco industry is being squeezed. Kill tobacco altogether, and you destroy the economy of several states. Kill tobacco slowly, and folks have a chance to transition to other industries.
giujohn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:51 am
@DrewDad,
I doubt you're old enough to be rabell's daddy so stop acting like it... He's old enough to fight his own battles, stop dipping your beak into where it doesn't belong
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 09:07 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
There are not a lot except for people with pre-existing conditions or unable to afford insurance before the ACA was created.

I guess helping millions isn't very many in your mind.

The argument that insurance costs have gone up since the ACA as a direct result of the ACA is a BS argument. Insurance costs rose at a faster rate before the ACA.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:46 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
The argument that insurance costs have gone up since the ACA as a direct result of the ACA is a BS argument. Insurance costs rose at a faster rate before the ACA.

I won't hold my breath, but if you have some evidence of that to share with the class, that would be great.
maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:23 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

parados wrote:

I won't hold my breath, but if you have some evidence of that to share with the class, that would be great.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/09/03/new-report-shows-slow-health-care-spending-growth-continued-2013-while-near-term-tre
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Health premiums after Obamacare? They’re lower.

Quote:
Average health insurance premiums in the nation's individual market actually dropped when the Affordable Care Act was implemented

Surprisingly good news about premiums

Three years before the ACA took effect, health insurance premiums were increasing by 10 percent to 12 percent each year, and the rate of the uninsured was growing.

Today, even as news about big premium increases for 2017 raises concerns about the Affordable Care Act’s long-term health, an analysis released last week in the journal Health Affairs seeks to put things in perspective. The upshot: Things could be worse.

It turns out that the average premiums in the individual market actually dropped when the ACA was implemented.

“Average premiums for the second-lowest cost silver-level (SLS) marketplace plan in 2014, which serves as a benchmark for ACA subsidies, were between 10 and 21 percent lower than average individual market premiums in 2013, before the ACA…,” write researchers from the Brookings Institute.

And in 2016 – two years into the marketplaces’ operation – premiums are still lower than they were in the individual insurance market in 2013. They’re 20 percent below the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) original projections, write co-authors of the analysis, Paul Ginsburg and Loren Adler.

In addition to lower than expected premiums, ACA plans include a host of benefits many policies didn’t have before the law took effect. That, along with a guarantee of coverage for all who apply for health insurance and restrictions on medical underwriting should have caused a precipitous spike in the cost of health plans.

Yeah, but I still can’t afford coverage.

New benefits baked into ACA-compliant plans give consumers more for their money; Silver plans cover 17 percent more health expenses than the average plan prior to the ACA, according to the analysis.

Even with rates set to skyrocket in some markets for 2017, researchers estimate that things would be much worse without the ACA. In fact, rates would have to rise by “more than 44 percent in 2017 to approach where individual market premiums would have likely been in the absence of the ACA, even under conservative assumptions,” the researchers write.

More at the original article.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/assets/2016/07/individual-market-premiums-dropped.jpg

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 01:28 pm
Ok, I see what you guys are doing. So despite the fact that the average amount that employees need to contribute toward their health care has increased more than 134 percent over the past decade, you see the actual cost of insurance not increasing as much as a good thing. Got it.

Baldimo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 02:10 pm
@McGentrix,
They like to ignore the rising costs of insurance on the employer end because it doesn't fit their narrative. A vast majority of the US population had no issues with their health insurance, we changed the entire system to fit a small percentage of the US population. The left love the "rob Peter to pay Paul" way of doing things.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 02:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Ok, I see what you guys are doing. So despite the fact that the average amount that employees need to contribute toward their health care has increased more than 134 percent over the past decade, you see the actual cost of insurance not increasing as much as a good thing. Got it.

Healthcare costs that employers pay are employee benefits too McG. My company has been very stingy with salary increases and they now share with us annually how much money they put in for each employee in health/dental care (as well as retirement 401ks, etc).

Since we provided links....would you care to?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 04:03 pm
@maporsche,
Well, since you provided Parados with links, I was waiting for you to do the same for me.

You guys are separate posters, right?
maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 04:39 pm
@McGentrix,
You asked Parados for a link. I provided YOU a link.

If you don't have one, that's cool. I'll continue to think you're talking out of your ass until then.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 04:54 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Healthcare costs that employers pay are employee benefits too McG. My company has been very stingy with salary increases and they now share with us annually how much money they put in for each employee in health/dental care (as well as retirement 401ks, etc).

Since we provided links....would you care to?

I once had an employer that was so desperate to come up some benefits that they listed mandatory payroll taxes and the value of our unpaved parking space.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:22 pm
@maporsche,
That's fine, I mean I obviously I just pulled that information out of my ass knowing that you would never ask for a link or evidence.
maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 06:10 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

That's fine, I mean I obviously I just pulled that information out of my ass knowing that you would never ask for a link or evidence.

See, that wasn't so tough. An old dog, new tricks and all that...
Nice job.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 06:14 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I don't know what your argument is though. Healthcare costs increases have slowed down significantly since the ACA was implemented. This 'decade' that you've chosen is a mixture of pre and post Obamacare. I'm curious what the employee share increases looked like for a clean before/after. That number may share something meaningful to your argument against Obamacare.

But really, maybe your argument should be with employers who are passing this cost on to their employees. That's THEIR decision.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:15 pm
@McGentrix,
That is supposed to support your contention?
The very first link supports mine

U.S. Health Care Cost Increases at Lowest Rate in Nearly 20 years: Aon

The second one, while proclaiming the cost to employees for employer health care costs have gone up over 134% in 10 years, fails to point out that the majority of that increase was prior to the ACA.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:44 pm
@roger,
You misread my post. $20,000 for 6 days. Not $1000. I paid the $1000 for my max. So $20,000 minus $4240= $15,760 Is what I saved with my insurance. Than of course their was my wife's $180,000 minus $4240 = $175,760 that we saved thanks to our insurance. Like I said it kept me from having to wipe out my savings and save my house. I think it was well worth it.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:46 pm
@DrewDad,
We should also take on the drug companies who have been ripping of medicare because an inept congress passes laws allowing them to do so.
0 Replies