The IRS is threatening me (fun at lunch)

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:15 pm
I am so damn sick of these messages - not that I have to listen to them, but I figured I am going to get back at them.

You know the fake scam ones that try to frighten you saying there is legal action against you call them back.

So I did - I used a number at work in a conference room (lunch time fun) - I called several times just to tie up their lines and try to annoy them. Every single one had an extremely thick accent.

One such US IRS agent as they called themselves name was get it John Smith. After pulling Mr. Smith in and making him think I was really scared, I proceeded to tell him I am an accountant so I know just a little bit how the IRS proceeds with such issues. I think he began swearing at me and calling me a whore - but I got him more angry because I calmly said with your thick accent I cannot understand a word you are saying so he proceeded to try to spell whore - at least I think he did but he started it with an H and the spelling sounded more like hole with the accent. He hung up because he couldn't even swear properly at me.

I will try again later. It is quite amusing. I also made it clear what a bunch of idiots they are if they really think people are falling for this as it is hugely advertised this is a scam - and not to mentioned I am going to keep harassing them as much as they are harassing others.

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:36 pm
@Linkat,
I suggested to my cousin that he ask if he could pay his debt with service, and then tell them he's a hitman.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:36 pm
They were calling mrs edgarblythe like that. Many times a day. They did it enough to residents around here that it merited a segment on local TV news. I have wondered how many folks fall for it.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:45 pm
If anyone hasn't figured it out, IRS does not call with threats of legal action.

Oh, by the way, Microsoft doesn't call to tell you how to remove threats from your computer.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:01 pm
I did a google search for this scam and it said that it is probably around $5 million that people in total got taken for.

I am going to call them again tomorrow - please provide some good names I could use. I used Francis Nusbum last time. I would like to be more creative than John Smith. Maybe I will say Bond ... James Bond.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not me, but that woman with the voice of doom was scary city. Scarcity, get it?
I suppose they won't be caught, but I'm assuming there is a law against this sort of thing.
Uh, I don't just answer any old phone call, and yes, I knew the IRS doesn't phone you. I think they (the voice) called twice, from different states, weeks apart.
Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Not me, but that woman with the voice of doom was scary city. Scarcity, get it?
I suppose they won't be caught, but I'm assuming there is a law against this sort of thing.
Uh, I don't just answer any old phone call, and yes, I knew the IRS doesn't phone you. I think they (the voice) called twice, from different states, weeks apart.

I guess I find it difficult why they can't be caught - they leave the phone number --- I called and was able to speak to them. I called the same number several times. Just seems odd to me.
Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:15 pm
Just read this -

Nationwide, about 3,052 individuals fell for this scam and ended up paying $15.5 million, according to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration’s report to Congress. That data is from Oct. 1, 2013, through March 9, 2015. So scammers could have picked up more than $5,000 per victim on average. But the highest loss reported by one person was $500,000

All the more reason for me to harass them back - it is likely these are elderly people who cannot afford to lose money. I am going to fix their little red wagon.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
please provide some good names I could use.
http://www.prank-ideas-central.com/prank-calls.html
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:53 pm
@Linkat,
Never occurred to me to call them back, oof, rather not, but now I wonder. That was my assumption that this stuff is illegal but a) maybe I'm wrong or b) maybe they are slippery eels somehow, but that doesn't seem so from your experience.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:55 pm
@Linkat,
Agreed; I suppose there are "elderly" phone records out there, just waiting.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh no no no RP.

You have to go to the experts at this, the Car Talk guys. Right in your own back yard.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits

Long list, just so many to pick from.

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 04:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
good times
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 04:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I call back from stray conference rooms at work just so they don't get my number some how.
Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 04:49 pm
@chai2,
gold pure gold...

I really like Wilma Butfit
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, I get you being smart re calling from the conference room - but I'm wondering about their calls being somehow legal, and I greatly hope not. This must have been explored by the Treasury Inspector General, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:22 pm
1. You guys should ask for their telephone number, and report it to the feds.
2. Ask them where to send the money, and ask for their bank account routing number and account number.
chai2

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
good idea ci.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:39 pm
And the next thing I found was 15 ways to offend Indians...now I wouldn't do it to any of my friends or under normal circumstances any ethnic group, but scam artists are not human and thus are subject to the worst offense.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:34 pm
@Linkat,
The sad thing is that they wouldn't be doing it if there weren't people falling for it.

1. Forums
  2. » The IRS is threatening me (fun at lunch)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:17:18