No power to my garage dead wire?

jckolb

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 10:21 am
I had a cousin who knows wiring and boxes come out and trouble shoot a circuit down in my house that seemed to happen when someone plugged in a power tool. My garage has no power. He determined that the main wire coming into our garage was burnt out, the wire! He tested this by using a cut plug and splicing it with some three wire and putting that into the second wire in the circuit (where we had the load in our outlet) and bringing wire over to the outer side of the circut. When he plugged it in and turned on the power the rest of the garage worked. He said two ways to fix this, one is to have a new main wire run through the house all the way to the garage. Second by bumping up our washer and dryer from 20 to 30 and then teeing in that main line to that circuit in the garage which is almost in the same wall (3 feet away). What do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 846 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 10:29 am
@jckolb,
I think the number one reason for the power in the garage going out is the GFI circuit tripping (especially when using power tools). The next thing I would expect would be a breaker tripping. Then a bad GFI, then a bad breaker. The very last thing I would expect would be a wire failure (by a huge margin). Before doing anything else, find the GFI in your garage and reset it. Then check the breaker box.
jckolb

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:59 pm
@engineer,
Well I called a electrician and we started on each outlet from the box on that circuit and the first outlet was the issue. He fixed it in 15 min after I worked on it with the first guy for 2 hours and was going to schedule a $500 job. The guy who fixed it was much more in charge and had a plan after listening to my story. I figured it was a short or bad wire/outlet somewhere on the circuit and was right!
0 Replies