Is There A Greater Guitar Artist Than Jeff Beck?

contrex

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 03:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No politics welcome.

I class racism as a moral, not a poltical issue. Clapton was alleged to have said (to the crowd, via a mike) ""I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. ******* wogs, man. ******* Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs....Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!". To call objection to that 'political' makes me wonder about you, Finn, as if I didn't already.

Back to topic... What about Taj Mahal?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 03:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
OK, but Clapton is nowhere near the artist Hendrix, Page and Beck were/are.

He is an incredible technician and within his own right an artist, but he never moved beyond the Blues (Except for a few financially motivated forays into Pop) He's "great" but he doesn't belong in this discussion.

Page was a true innovator as well as being a brilliant player, however his movement as an artist beyond Rock was limited to Indian/Arabic themes.

Hendrix was a genius, but he died very young. Beck isn't the genius Hendrix was but his artistry has endured and evolved for decades beyond Jimi's death.

If you want to argue that Hendrix was greater than Beck based on his short lived genius, I'm not going to give you a hard time, but the Greatest Guitar Artist of all time, at least to me, requires longevity as well as artistic growth.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 03:10 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No politics welcome.

I class racism as a moral, not a poltical issue. Clapton was alleged to have said (to the crowd, via a mike) ""I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. ******* wogs, man. ******* Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs....Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!". To call objection to that 'political' makes me wonder about you, Finn, as if I didn't already.

Back to topic... What about Taj Mahal?

Wonder all you want you stupid twit.

Clapton may have been, as you suggest, the most venal person on earth, but it has nothing to do with his guitar artistry.

I love Taj Mahal but he's not even in the race. (And no you jackass it isn't because he's black)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 04:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Joe Satriani maybe? I'm not a guitar player so I don't know what makes one good, I know what I like. Smile
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 04:19 pm
@rosborne979,
Another technically brilliant guitarist.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:54 pm
José Feliciano, though he plays Spanish guitar, I think most guitarists would pay tribute to him.
mark noble

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 08:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
All musicians should get proper jobs.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 09:12 am
@mark noble,
Money for nothing and their chicks for free...
mark noble

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 09:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Music is a distraction.
It is meant to reverberate in your head for hrs, days, weeks.
All it does is STOP you thinking.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 09:43 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

José Feliciano, though he plays Spanish guitar, I think most guitarists would pay tribute to him.

I agree that he should be held in high regard.

As for other guitarists paying tribute to him, I'm sure they would, but somehow he missed Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of All Time:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jeff-beck-20111122

I think he belongs on it, but for whatever reason the "panel" didn't see fit to include him. He's not alone as an absent great though.

To a great degree these things are subjective, and with this list I think there was a concerted effort to get some Rock Heroes on the list, who probably don't belong there.

Beck doesn't jump to everyone's mind when they think of guitarist and yet he made #5 on this list compiled by, to a certain extent, his peers.

There isn't anyone in the top 5 who I would say don't belong there, and I do think (as does Beck) that Hendrix was a musical genius. At the top of their games, I would give Hendrix the nod, but we have no idea how he would have played out over decades. With Beck, Clapton, Page and Richards, we do.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 09:47 am
@mark noble,
Interesting.

I disagree, but interesting viewpoint.

I'm quite capable of deep thought while music is being played, but I can imagine how it might interfere with the thinking of others.

Certainly some "music" is nothing more than loud noise and tough to think through, but not so with all; for some people.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

Check out a few of the Youtube comments. Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:46 am
@mark noble,
Words are complimented by music because music is the universal language.

Words are a distraction too, nature is a distraction, people are a distraction.

Thinking is a distraction from simply enjoying life.

Thinking is a distraction from just feeling and feeling is a distraction from the other senses.

Life is full of distractions when one can only monotask.
Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:57 am
Tried to recall this virtuoso guitarist's name the other day but couldn't. It dawned on me this morning.

Leo Kottke.

If you're not familiar with him, check him out. Check out Last Steam Engine Train or Pamela Brown.

In this sort of discussion he is certainly worthy of honorable mention and a listen. I've seen him in person and was very entertained.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:07 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Tried to recall this virtuoso guitarist's name the other day but couldn't. It dawned on me this morning.

Leo Kottke.

If you're not familiar with him, check him out. Check out Last Steam Engine Train or Pamela Brown.

In this sort of discussion he is certainly worthy of honorable mention and a listen. I've seen him in person and was very entertained.

Yes, a hell of a player.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 02:13 am
In the day, I liked John Williams, who some may remember for his versions of "Cavatina" by Stanley Myers, (song "He Was Beautiful" using that tune with lyrics and vocals by Cleo Laine, released 1973) and his guitar version used as the theme for the 1978 movie "The Deer Hunter". Very accomplished in the classical field, and he had a fusion band called Sky in the 70s and 80s.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 06:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
If I'm a bit tired.
I'll stick a 4hr (Typically Delta-wave) North american indianesque, relaxation 'youtube' playlist on, in the background - And, I agree - There is a time and place for music.

But - 'Beware the viols, for one's thoughts can stray - By the design of others'.

Prince - 'While my guitar gently weeps'.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 07:00 am
@TheCobbler,
If 'Thinking is a distraction from enjoying life'. (Terrible premise, btw) - Then 'enjoying life is a distraction from thinking' ?
0 Replies