"Mundus vult decipi"

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:29 am
"The World wants to be deceived."

I saw a reference to Caleb Carr's 2000 novel "Killing Time" this morning in a column, and while I thought I had read the novel 15 or 16 years ago, I wasn't sure. Looked it up and, yes I had. I didn't remember much about it other than it involved a pair of brilliant siblings with sinister intent and that I found it disappointing (unlike Carr's other work).

The reference by Jim Geraghty was:

Quote:
(If we were branching out beyond films, 2016 could also be represented by Caleb Carr’s 2000 novel Killing Time, set in not-too-distant future where information and misinformation flow so freely, very few people know what is true and most have learned to not care.)

Here is a link to a NY Times book review of the novel in case you want to synopsis of the story.

https://www.nytimes.com/books/00/12/10/reviews/001210.10zalenst.html

If you read the novel and want to offer your criticism of it, please feel free to do so, but my question is whether or not you agree with the novel's premise as relates to 2016.

Although it's set in 2023, the efforts of the siblings to combat information overload, if you will, begin in 2017, so Carr in 2000, or whenever he started the novel, was pretty much predicting what the information scene would be like in 2016.

I think he got it basically right.

What do you think?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 373 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's bernays/orwell.
They aren't predictions - They're blueprints.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:33 am
Not much different from "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."'
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Mundus vult decipi"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:07:16