WHAT MUST I DO: GO TO ARKANSAS?

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:40 pm
Families have their odd sayings that no one else seems to be making use of. My step-father in particular had quite a few. When caught in no-win situations he often said the words I used to make a title for this thread. Other times, appropos of nothing, he might say, "Dear George - And that's all she wrote." When conversations got lively he was wont to repeat several times during the course of it, "Fire barrel one." When he belched he turned the sound into, "Whale oil." Do you have any good ones to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,911 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:49 pm
"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:44 am
Thanks for sharing, Roger.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 10:02 am
My mother-in-law used to say, when her children or her husband made excessive requests of her service:

"Would you also like me to stick a broom up my ass and sweep the floor as I go?"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 10:19 am
Yeah! Now, that's a saying.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 10:37 am
And it was spoken in Spanish, her native tongue, as an (somewhat) appropriate rejoinder to "Bring me...get me... hand me...fetch me".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 10:45 am
So, for those of you who are in need of the occasional handy retort en Espanol, here is the translation:

Quieres que me meta una escoba en el culo y que la pase por el piso para limpiar el piso mientras camino?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 10:55 am
Mom would get tired of us balking at answering uncomfortable questioning. She'd say: "Speak, ass; mouth won't."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:41 pm
What a fun topic! I love these family sayings.

My mom said "Iscabible!" and "Shavickie!" when she was mad.

My dad always said "We're going to need a bigger boat" when things took a downhill turn. (He stole this from the movie "Jaws".)

My father in law, a natural story teller, once said "That girl could run faster than an Arkansas virgin". I wish I could remember all of the nutty things he's said - he can be truly hilarious.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 01:01 am
Mom: "I'm gonna jerk you baldheaded!" All her children still have hair, barely.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:38 am
"If you don't sit down and be still I am going to knock you into next week."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 02:31 pm
My son recently reminded me that I used to approach him and run the palm of my hand up his face, saying, "Up jumped the rabbit -" then run my palm down his face - "down he went." I told him how my step father often would do that when I was a kid. Then I did it to him again, for old time's sake.
0 Replies

srv

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:55 am
If my mother was waiting in line and the person that was being waited on was holding up the line because they wouldn't make their mind up. She would say Either **** or get Off The Pot
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:22 am
@srv,
I know that one. My mom sometimes would say, "Speak, ass; mouth won't."
0 Replies