Hmmm, hot baths can be good for you

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 10:25 am
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2016/aug/21/can-hot-bath-beat-bike-ride-good-health

I take this with a grain of salt, or a cup of tea, but it's an interesting find.

A clip:

Name: Hot baths.
Appearance: Bubbly.
That’s nice. I love a long, hot bath with a book and a cup of tea. Who doesn’t?
Cats. But otherwise, sure. It’s like being back in the womb, but with a book and a cup of tea. And it’s good for you. Better than exercise!
Really? Well, in one narrow way, based on a single study with a small sample, perhaps
I see. How do we know this? Some scientist called Dr Steve Faulkner did this experiment at Loughborough University where he fitted 10 unfit males with rectal thermometers and other devices, then got them to have long, hot, relaxing baths.
I think I’d be more relaxed without the thermometer. You get used to it. After the bath, the men got a meal, and on another day they did some vigorous cycling instead of the bath.
And? Much to everyone’s surprise, the bathers had peak blood sugar levels after eating that were 10% lower than the cyclists’. In short, the study suggests that hot baths might do a better job than exercise at lowering your blood sugar, which is the challenge in diabetes. The theory is that it is something to do with “heat shock proteins”.

end/clip/there's more to the article

Interesting how the algorithm reordered my tag sequence. I get it that health should be first, but the rest of it is in odd order.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,513 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:03 am
I love a hot bath. I get the water as hot as possible, then let it alone for an hour while the chlorine dissipates. It's still nice and hot.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:50 am
@ossobucotemp,
Burn a few bay leaves and garlic skin in an ashtray, leave room for 5 mins then return.
0 Replies

JenniferScott1221

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:12 am
@ossobucotemp,
Soaking in a hot bath is a great way to relax while helping your body detox as it raises your core temperature, dilates your blood vessels, aids blood circulation, lowers blood pressure and draws contaminants out through your pores.
0 Replies

DmitriyEpelboym

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 08:43 am
@ossobucotemp,
A hot bath, or soak in hot water raises our body temperature. Several benefits of this rise include: Improved blood circulation, Improved lymph circulation, detoxification, increased metabolism and calmer nervous system.
Benefits of a hot water bath:
1)Hot water baths are excellent to cleanse your body as the warmer temperatures tend to kill all the germs that you are exposed to throughout the day. It is also helpful in maintaining better personal hygiene.
2)They are extremely beneficial to relieve cold and cough as the hot water and steam tends to clear your airways and help in decongesting your nose and throats.
3)They are also known to beat insomnia and sleep disorders and are excellent to induce sleep.
4)Hot water baths are also known to relieve stress and fatigue and also help relax sore muscles. It has also been shown to improve the flexibility of muscles giving you a supple body.
5)Studies have also shown that hot water showers reduce sugar levels in the body making them ideal for diabetics. This study showed that sugar levels of diabetics who immersed themselves in hot water tubs for 20 – 30 minutes for three weeks, had reduced by 13 %.
0 Replies