and my fingers came away covered with blood

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 01:30 am
Should "and my fingers came away covered with blood" be "and my fingers came away covering with blood"?

Thanks in anticipation

Context:
I was jogging on a park trail on a warm spring day, without a care in the world, when something whacked me, hard, in the back of the head. I touched my scalp, and my fingers came away covered with blood.
Link to the context

roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 01:59 am
@oristarA,
Use covered.

Your fingers could be covering (hiding) blood, but they will be covered with blood.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 03:48 am
@oristarA,
Use covered.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 04:15 am
If anyone wants to know the reason for the blood, without clicking the link, it was a female goshawk defending her young.
0 Replies

Mark Jasons

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:25 am
@oristarA,
"I touched my scalp, and my fingers came away covered with blood."

First, this is a Compound Sentence with two independent clauses connected by a conjunction "and."

I touched my scalp \ and \ my fingers came away covered\covering with blood

Since "touched" is Past Tense in the first clause, the other clause should be in the past tense too (it's a verb phrase with an interrupting adverb "away"): came away covered because...

If you use the Past Progressive "came covering" it would mean continuing action in the past, like in this sentence:

I opened the door, and she came running into the room.

The fingers touched the scalp. Blood got on them from a cut. As the person moved the hand away to look, the person saw the blood on the hand.

0 Replies