Choosing good dog food?

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 08:47 am
I have a 2 y/o spitz/sibe mix (cross breed). Adopted him from a shelter and I don't know what they feed him there.

So I thought this is the perfect opportunity to introduce a new brand of dog food to him, something that has high quality, something he deserves. Don't go tell me to google the answer because I've already done my research, I want someone with experience that knows dogs pretty well answer me.

I'm not being picky, and any help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,187 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 08:51 am
@roycovin,
Have you had your dog assessed by a vet? had blood tests done?

A lot of information will come from those evaluations to determine what will best suit your dog.
0 Replies

seac

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 04:33 pm
@roycovin,
I unknowingly fed my Doberman Pedigree dry food that killed him. I looked up the consumer report on that brand and there are hundreds of reports of dogs getting sick and dying from it, dry and canned foods. Most of the cases were the same as my dog. Other brands have had recalls on them for various reasons of food poisoning, but why isn't Pedigree recalling their foods. This has been happening for close to ten years, maybe more. Best thing to feed your dog is a home cooked meal, rice mixed with shredded boiled meat or chicken and a little vegetables.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 18 Aug, 2016 09:29 am
weve raised hunting dogs, catahoulas, and border collies. Weve always fed them i/2 can of ALPO mixed with 2 cups specific dry kibbles for young, active, old, etc dogs. This was split as a 2X a day feeding.
ALL THESE FOGS were active ground pouners. They mostly lived out of doors and were llowed free run of the farm. They would pretty much sty with us (because we hqd something interesting going on all the time)
Stasha, my border collie babe, would lway curl up on the couch each nite nd watch tv with us nd she never begged for food.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 18 Aug, 2016 10:02 am
@roycovin,
The best source is your vet. My vet gave me a list of recommended brand dog foods.

I use Wellness for my dog -- it is considered a very good quality food. It is not cheap, but it is considered very good quality. But as my vet explained if you feed them better your vet bills will be less and they will be healthier.

You should have found out though what he was eating before as it can cause problems for the dog to change their diet - you should do part their old food and part their new and then increase the amount of new until that is all they are eating.
0 Replies