The Quotable Reich

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:25 am
Robert Reich
33 mins ·
I spoke with a leading Democrat this morning, who said Hillary "had it made," but worried she won't be able to get anything done once she's president. I asked him why.
"First of all," he said, "She won't have the typical presidential honeymoon. There won't be a 'first hundred days.' She’s more distrusted by the public than any major candidate in recent history. By Election Day the public will be choosing which candidate they hate the least."
"But at least she'll have a Democratic Senate," I said.
"There's no way Dems get 60 votes, so it won't help much."
"But the public will insist on certain of her policies, right?"
"Unlikely. She hasn't established a mandate to get anything big and significant done. Most of the public has no idea what she stands for."
"What about her infrastructure proposal? That's pretty ambitious."
"Are you kidding me? $275 billion over five years is chicken ****. By the time it gets watered down it will pave a few roads."
"What about her proposed Buffet Rule, that every rich American will have to pay at least a 33 percent top tax?"
"Get real. The guys with the money are laughing all the way to Union Station. They stopped it dead under Obama. They'll kill it again."
"So what do you think she'll do as president?"
"It will be foreign policy, 24-7."
"And she knows what she's doing there."
"I hope so. She'll certainly be more hawkish than Obama."
"You're painting a pretty bleak picture."
"Not at all. Trump is melting down. He's bonkers."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 24,850 • Replies: 613

Blickers

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:41 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, I guess we can trust you for the "worst case scenario" as regards Hillary. Very Happy

That's okay, there's always time to at least consider worst case scenarios.

As far the 60 Senate votes go, if Trump continues to go down, (lately the polls have been stabilizing at a 6 point differential, which still might be enough to shift the Senate majority Democratic, though under 60 votes), on the first day the Senate meets they decide the rules by majority vote. If the Republicans want to be hard-asses, the Senate can simply remove the 60 vote requirement for legislation to come to a vote, (it used to be 66 or something and got lowered previously), on the first day.

Since the Senate is traditionally considered the private men's club with genteel manners, they will be loathe to do something that will render them more like the "this is war" House. But if the Tea Partiers are going to come back full of defiance and plans to install permanent gridlock again, it just might happen.

As far as Hillary's unpopularity, look at Obama. Obama was in unfavorable territory for most of his second term, now he's moved into solid favorable territory. The more the voters look at Trump, the more they appreciate the people and ideas that Trump doesn't like. Hillary has already begun to be viewed less unfavorably than before, (not that that's saying much), but we have months to go. And Trump, who's major appeal was that he was brash and fresh at the beginning, is now starting to wear on the nerves of the electorate. He's beginning to be like the new guest who was full of funny stories when he first showed up five hours ago, but now the host is beginning to wish the guy would leave already.

By Election Day, there's no telling how sick the voters will be of Trump's mouth and tweets. And oh yes, if the Republicans' big issue is Emails, and it appears that it is, there's no telling how sick the voters will be of that come November either.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:41 am
@Blickers,
We can trust you to guard these forums 24-7 to make certain nobody is allowed to post contrary to your concept of how to think and vote.
revelette2

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:47 am
https://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/147/006200_11.jpg

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:48 am
@revelette2,
That describes you and Blickers to a Tee
revelette2

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Not sure I actually qualify being a 51 year old grandmother rather than grandfather. But, seriously, I don't think it will be bad as you think.
Blickers

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 12:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote edgar:
Quote:
We can trust you to guard these forums 24-7 to make certain nobody is allowed to post contrary to your concept of how to think and vote.

Listen, bud, I'm not the guy who has the neighborhood looking through my window and shouting "Disgrace!" when I take my shirt off. Very Happy ... Very Happy ... Very Happy
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 12:12 pm
@revelette2,
Not to respond for Edgar but..

Bad? No. (None of the above was particularly "bad", so much as just not much good). Worse than Obama? To an extent. In my view, "more hawkish than Obama" is not good. I also don't believe she intends to do a thing about growing wealth disparity, and only what is easy or convenient for public education. Of course anyone who knows Reich knows he's not gonna simply fall in line with the party for its own sake
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 12:44 pm
@thack45,
I 'preciate it. I don't tend to argue minutiae all day long. (Here is my link and detailed list why someone is full of ****; Here is MY detailed list and link why it is not me, but you full of ****; Well here is my counter; Well here is my counter of your counter) Life is too short.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 09:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

Rebutting your posts isent stopping you from posting. Everyone has the right to make sure your posts are accurate.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:04 pm
@RABEL222,
To make sure they don't hurt Clinton.
Blickers

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
What part of Rabel's "Rebutting your posts isent stopping you from posting", are you failing to understand? Your OP was just standing there, all alone and forlorn, so I responded to it.

And this is the thanks I get? Crying or Very sad
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:48 pm
@Blickers,
What part of "You are keeping me from posting" did I say? Quote it back to me. You need to take a course in comprehension.
Blickers

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sorry, edgar, but I don't tend to argue minutiae all day long. (Here is my link and detailed list why someone is full of ****; Here is MY detailed list and link why it is not me, but you full of ****; Well here is my counter; Well here is my counter of your counter) Life is too short.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 01:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too, but I have longer hair.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:22 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Sorry, edgar, but I don't tend to argue minutiae all day long. (Here is my link and detailed list why someone is full of ****; Here is MY detailed list and link why it is not me, but you full of ****; Well here is my counter; Well here is my counter of your counter) Life is too short.

As I said. Now tell me where I said someone is stopping me or anybody else from posting.
Blickers

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
That was implied in your previous posts. And to go into the minutiae of showing where it is implied, and how it is implied, and under what circumstances such implication may or may not be appropriate would be to engage in the very behavior you and I both decried.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:30 pm
@Blickers,
It is implied in your prejudiced mindset. Nowhere else.
Blickers

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I disagree. And what does this have to do with what Reich said?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:44 pm
I don't know. You started it. You have wasted my time and I will not respond again.