Language and Propaganda - an example

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
The passive aggressive part is the public announcement that you have someone else on ignore.

I participate in the political threads. I have never needed the ignore button. If I did, I certainly wouldn't announce it publicly.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:33 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't think you were. It's just that ci was talking about people ignoring other posters and those posters getting mad about it, and I was just wondering if you meant the person who puts someone on Ignore is trying to be a control freak or the person who is complaining about putting someone putting them on Ignore is the being the control freak.

For the record, two posters who have complained to me about my putting them on Ignore, (only one of which I actually had), struck me as being control freaks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
We can't. Use the ignore function as you wish, peek, or don't. It's your life, don't let anyone else try to tell you what to do.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 11:51 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I get the notion you haven't been attending very closely to my argument here.

Politics is many things. One aspect of it is communications designed to convince others that your notion of policy are worthwhile. Not all such communications are propagandist unless you axiomatically define the term in that way. And that obscures far more than it provides any means to think clearly about differences. The NY Times is not Pravda. Are you, writing here, the equivalent of Joseph Goebbels? Is an honest statement in political communications the same as a purposeful deceit?

I believe this post is quite revealing of unquestioned biases of which Blatham may no longer be aware, perhaps due to long exposure. Does the NY Times print only "honest statements designed to persuade others of worthwhile policies"? Some would argue otherwise, noting that biases can come in many forms, including the omission or exclusion of unwanted facts and otherwise unwarranted emphasis on others. I have the impression Blatham would consider the National Review to be largely Propaganda (indeed part of a coinspiratorial "movement:" as he often notes) while considering the New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly and others perhaps to be sophisticated analysis .... indeed perhaps even scholarly. How about the Wall Street Journal: is it propaganda?

In a similar manner politicians of all stripes rant about the "special interests" supporting policies they oppose. On the left the favorite targets are the Koch brothers, the NRA, and "corporations" ( though most balance their contributions carefully), while on the right it is George Soros & other prominent donors, Labor Unions, various advocacy groups such as the Sierra Club, The NEA , Planned Parenbthood, etc. All would likely argue that they are only exercising their right to advocate their beliefs and views.
Clearly the real definition of "special interests", and even "propaganda" usually has far more to do with the perspective of the commentor than the intrinsic nature of the "interest" itself.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
I don't know if there is the one and only definition of propaganda.

As far as I remember, propaganda is the attempt to influence the thinking, acting and feeling of people.
The main characteristic of propaganda is that the different aspects of a topic aren't shown but opinion and information are mixed to one unit.
And usually propaganda is linked to other forms of state information control such as direct censorship, monopolization of the media and/or persecution of others.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Who is the more propogandist? Hillary or Donald? And why?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I don't know if there is the one and only definition of propaganda.

If there might be one, it would not fit easily into a few sentences.

Quote:
As far as I remember, propaganda is the attempt to influence the thinking, acting and feeling of people.

This, by itself, doesn't really do the job of identifying propaganda versus other sorts of communications designed to influence others.

Quote:
The main characteristic of propaganda is that the different aspects of a topic aren't shown but opinion and information are mixed to one unit.
I like that. Because propaganda will have something like a singular purpose, it will always be marked by purposeful omissions of relevant data (where it conflicts with the intended purpose) and will include, almost always, false data. The intention of propaganda is to deceive. If that intention is absent, use of the term "propaganda" doesn't really make sense, I would argue.

Quote:
And usually propaganda is linked to other forms of state information control such as direct censorship, monopolization of the media and/or persecution of others.
I like this as well. Highly authoritarian regimes will manifest these characteristics almost always. But of course this isn't a black/white phenomenon and propaganda can and is evident in communications within states more democratic than such authoritarian regimes. I think too we ought not to limit our understanding of propaganda as a phenomenon limited to governments. Other agencies do this stuff as well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:52 pm
@blatham,
It's really ages ago that I did some semi-scientific work about propaganda (at university).

The Nazis were quite honest about it: they didn't have a spokesperson or press officer in the local party organization but a propaganda warden ("Propagandawart"). [And there was the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda] and the Congregatio de propaganda fide] But here, propaganda had a slightly different meaning by those who used it at those times.]
blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:54 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Does the NY Times print only "honest statements designed to persuade others of worthwhile policies"?
But I didn't say that. I made two points that you've somehow conflated. First, I differentiated communications designed to communicate, honestly, policy ideas from communications designed to deceive. Second, I pointed out that Pravda and the NYT are not the same species of publication (in terms of who controlled or controls them and the intentions of those involved).

Quote:
biases can come in many forms, including the omission or exclusion of unwanted facts and otherwise unwarranted emphasis on others.
Of course.

Quote:
I have the impression Blatham would consider the National Review to be largely Propaganda (indeed part of a coinspiratorial "movement:" as he often notes)
First, any publication or media entity that originated as (or evolved into) a tool to forward a particular political ideology is a different creature from a news entity and will obviously be more likely to fall to propagandist behaviors. Whether any would be properly labeled as propagandist would depend on content (and intention). Second, re "movement" - please attend to the writings and self-descriptions of countless right wing individuals and groups where "movement conservatism" is proudly boasted. I've given you many examples before. Here's another, from Conservapedia no less. So read it and then stop with this crap complaint of yours.
Quote:
Conservative Movement
The conservative movement is a collection of volunteers, principles and goals for the betterment of society. A defining characteristic is adherence to logic and faith above self-centered behavior. The primary goals include:

less government
more morality
hard work and prosperity
genuine charity rather than forced big government income redistribution via the Welfare state and Nanny state.
http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_Movement

Quote:
while considering the New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly and others perhaps to be sophisticated analysis .... indeed perhaps even scholarly. How about the Wall Street Journal: is it propaganda?
None of those would match my understanding/description of propaganda. That said, there is a difference between the WSJ's reporting and the WSJ's editorials.

Quote:
Clearly the real definition of "special interests", and even "propaganda" usually has far more to do with the perspective of the commentor than the intrinsic nature of the "interest" itself.
Yes. Unfortunately this term has lost most of its value and usefulness because it is thrown around so carelessly or dishonestly (plus it's often a complicated matter). But we can't do without some term to indicate how a small sector of the community/nation can often have a motivation to steer policies and ideas such that their narrow interests are enhanced and often to the detriment of the overall population.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The Nazis were quite honest about it: they didn't have a spokesperson or press officer in the local party organization but a propaganda warden ("Propagandawart").
Yes. As I think I must have mentioned earlier, here in the English speaking world, the term propaganda was a quite innocent term before WW2. Edward Bernays, an early public relations/marketing genius wrote a book about his techniques and it had the title "Propaganda" (a copy of that book was found in Goebbel's library). Now, of course, no marketing dude would ever title a book with that word or even have the word anywhere in the text.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 03:01 pm
@blatham,
Like the Democratic and Republican parties?
blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 03:02 pm
@RABEL222,
Not sure what you're referring to.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 09:38 pm
Because it's relevant to a comment above ("movement conservatism" or "the conservative movement") let me point to this piece by Josh Marshall (this is the last graph)
Quote:
There's been a lot of discussion of anti-Semitism and the Trump campaign but a fierce resistance to coming to grips with the fact that anti-Semitism is a key driving force of the Trump campaign, that the campaign itself is an anti-Semitic one even though the great majority of Trump's supporters are not anti-Semites. When he closes out his campaign with a blatantly anti-Semitic ad, it's time to rethink that resistance.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-rolls-out-anti-semitic-closing-ad

John Birch ideology was a key feature of movement conservatism when it arose as a relatively coherent political phenomenon gathered around Goldwater. And anti-Semitism was a key feature of the Bircher ideology. This stuff did not disappear from American culture. As I've mentioned earlier, when I first went down to Texas a bit over a decade ago to meet Jane's (Lola's) family, one of her sisters on discovering I was interested in politics, encouraged me to watch a video. It was a poorly made but classic diatribe on the "international bankers". It was the Bircher ideology still rihocheting around in southern American political thought.
blatham

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 06:27 am
And what should we call this?

Quote:
Meanwhile, fake news is everywhere. The Drudge Report, in one of the most bizarre examples, has been promoting a story about Clinton campaign adviser John Podesta drinking bodily fluids at a secret Satanist dinner. Though absurdly false, the tale had plenty of believers, inspiring hundreds of thousands of related tweets and plenty of “news stories” on right-wing sites.
http://wapo.st/2ecO9yK

Read the entire piece by Margaret Sullivan.
Quote:
But even as the worst of media grows exponentially, the best is deeply threatened. The Wall Street Journal — whose journalistic standards are historically top-notch — is laying off reporters this month to reduce costs.

And as print advertising revenue slips into something perilously close to free fall, much more of that is sure to come.

In this case, the Journal let us know what the Enquirer had done. That takes time, money, skill and reporting talent. When those wither, journalism will be in worse trouble.

Yes, that’s possible.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 11:01 am
@blatham,
I think you are laying it on a bit thick here. Your pasted comments indicate Trump is anti Semitic, and his campaign is significantly motivated by anti Semitism. Really? Do you believe that President Obama is also anti Semitic, or possibly harbors some deep rooted sympathy for Islamism?

It appears to me that you are a bit selective in the somewhat far fetched fantasies you embrace. That's not very scholarly.

On a related matter, do you believe there is a Progressive movement afoot in the United States, or something that could be labelled as "movement Progressivism" ?
blatham

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 12:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I think you are laying it on a bit thick here. Your pasted comments indicate Trump is anti Semitic, and his campaign is significantly motivated by anti Semitism. Really?
I said neither of those things. I pointed to a Trump ad that just aired and I spoke about how the anti-semitism that was a feature of the John Birch movement still echoes in America in the present. As to that ad, don't take it from me (or Josh, who is Jewish). Here's the Times of Israel
Quote:
Trump closing campaign ad revives remarks seen as striking anti-Semitic tonesAudio from criticized speech that rails against global conspiracy is overlaid with images of prominent Jews
http://bit.ly/2ednqC5

Here's a report from the ADL on "Anti-Semitic targeting of journalists during the 2016 presidential campaign" http://bit.ly/2eds2Ie
the report found that
Quote:
“the words that show up most in the bios of Twitter users sending anti-Semitic tweets to journalists are ‘Trump,’ ‘nationalist,’ ‘conservative,’ ‘American’ and ‘white.'”

And apparently you aren't familiar with the "alt-right" crowd (a big part of Bannon's audience). I'll leave it up to you whether to bother getting familiar with that. Anti-Semitism is alive and thriving in this community.

The point is that the Trump campaign is pushing these buttons (along with others) with the hope of activating these ugly segments of American culture and society.

Quote:
Do you believe that President Obama is also anti Semitic, or possibly harbors some deep rooted sympathy for Islamism?
Why the hell would I have any reason to hold he has anti-Semitic notions? There are no words or behaviors from him past or present to lead one to such a conclusion. As to Islamism, might he hold affinities? Sure. The question here would be why wouldn't you? But I'm guessing that "deep rooted sympathy" thing might be some investment you have in believing the crap put out by D'Souza, Hannity, Limbaugh and others about Obama's world view and values. I hope not as if you did, I'd probably never speak with you again.

PS... Do you remember how the people on Fox went utterly insane about Obama's "terrorist fist bump"? What the **** do you think that was all about?

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 12:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
On a related matter, do you believe there is a Progressive movement afoot in the United States, or something that could be labelled as "movement Progressivism" ?

There is nothing I know of that self-defines itself in those terms. Certainly nothing organized and with a half century history. The closest thing I can think of would be the Occupy Movement or Bernie Sanders' followers. Both are very recent and the first was against organization by philosophy (which is why it died fast). Whether Sanders' followers organize in the future, god knows.

This is an interesting question from you. What I think you're up to is merely just trying to reject my descriptions of movement conservatism because it doesn't have an equivalent on the other side. As if such a balance must exist.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:26 pm
@blatham,
The organized American Progressive (ahem!) movement started in the late 19th Century and reached an early peak in the early 1920s ubnder the leadersip of Senator Robert LaFolette of Wisconsin. Much later in 1948 formerly Democrat VP , Henry Wallace ran for president as head of a reconstituted Progressive Party. It has been an identifiable movement in American Politica for over a century, experiencing a few peaks on its own, and exercising a significant influence on Democrat party platforms in several elections and administrations..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 03:08 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is an interesting question from you. What I think you're up to is merely just trying to reject my descriptions of movement conservatism because it doesn't have an equivalent on the other side. As if such a balance must exist.

I'm not up to anything and I do not recognize any necessity of balance or equivalency as you suggest. That is a self-serving fiction of your own creation.

Political parties across the spectrum are populated by human beings and human bahavior in large groups does indeed present a number of detectable patterns that are often repeated. That, however, is merely a fact of ususal human behavior. Despite that , I'm aware of no force that compels it on every issue, such as you appear to imagine.

In the case of the Progressive movement in American politics it appears you are simply ignorant of the historical facts. Don't blame me for that.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:49 pm
Quote:
“Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will,” Goebbels said. Everywhere one turns one hears people parroting lies as if they were their own carefully considered personal opinions. The upshot is that an alternate reality has been constructed for millions in this country over the last couple of decades thanks to TV, talk radio, and the Internet. Spreading falsehoods, of course, is very profitable, as con artists of every type from mealy-mouthed preachers addressing their mega churches to those touting loans that require no background check can tell you. Lies sell everything from fattening foods to “your computer is damaged and we’ll help you fix it” scams. The basic requirement for democratic governance—that the majority of the population agrees on the parameters of what is true and what is false—has been deliberately obfuscated in this country. The absence of accountability for repeated fraud by those in power, both in government and in the private sector, the proliferation of fake grass-root organizations, think tanks, and lobbyist firms funded by the wealthy to deceive their fellow citizens and turn them against one another, has become the most characteristic feature of our political life. A genuinely functioning democracy endangers powerful interests and those working so hard and making so much money to destroy it, since they may sooner or later end up in jail.

To mislead one’s fellow citizens on such a vast scale is evil...
http://bit.ly/2f0G409