Language and Propaganda - an example

blatham

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:21 am
Quote:
Watching irony die can be an exasperating experience.
Quote:
Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming, the No. 4 Republican, said that on issues like health care, he hopes [Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer] “works closely with us, listens to the voices of the voters around the country and ends this really senseless obstruction.”

Let’s take a minute to unwrap this, because it’s one of the more jarring quotes of the year.

First, listening to voters’ voices isn’t a bad idea, but in the most recent election cycle, voters (a) preferred Hillary Clinton by a considerable margin; (b) shrunk the Republican majorities in both chambers; and (c) keep telling pollsters that they’re not on board with the GOP’s repeal plans.

Second, for John Barrasso to decry “senseless obstruction” without appreciating the irony is completely bonkers. The far-right Wyoming senator has been almost hysterically obstructionist when it comes to health care policy in recent years, at one point going so far as to demand that officials “stop celebrating” good news related to the ACA reform effort.

But even if we look past these highly relevant details, Barrasso seems to genuinely believe Democrats should “work closely” with Republicans hellbent on tearing down the existing health care system and replacing it with some alternative no one can identify. The response from Democratic leaders, in effect, has been, “Um, no.”
obstructapalooza
Lots of stuff these days is predictable. But this bunch decrying obstruction was as guaranfuckingteed as anything.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:23 am
@georgeob1,
Turkey is a Muslim country with many freedoms. Women do not have to cover their heads. Turkey is a secular republic. Over 97% are Muslim.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:13 am
@blatham,
It appears you can't take even a small dose of what you have been putting out for a long time. There are words for that.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:27 am
@blatham,
Quote:
they [ISIS] are seriously ugly in those beliefs and actions. But it's not the whole faith nor anything but a small minority.

My overly short post probably did give the impression that I was going after Islam but my intended target was really the attitude of US leaders to discount the religious component behind terrorism and claim it's just 'politics'.

Yes, the violent ones are a small minority but it's a minority which has an unlimited pool of people to recruit new terrorists from and the reason for that is the very deep religious beliefs of Muslims, here and in Muslim country.

If I leave it at that, you might think I'm saying that IS terrorism is a major threat to us. I am not. Terrorism doesn't even show up on my list of concerns. I'm far more concerned with how government responds to this minor irritant. 9/11 was bad but it was a sucker punch. We should be aware of the problem and respond (stronger door on airline cockpits - duh, and good screening) but going to war? Just crazy, unless you really think you could stamp it out by getting rid of the relatively few violent ones. You can't.

And this is the point - Nothing stirs up a violent reaction from people more effectively than to de-legitimize their most closely held beliefs. That's what Flynn and others like him are doing.

I think Muslims have a deeply flawed religion, just like Christians, but we don't (or at least shouldn't) tell them they don't have anything real they believe in as a national policy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:56 am
@blatham,
The Republicans in Congress are doing far more outreach to Democrats in attempting to deal with the ongoing collapse of Obamacare under the weight of the many contradictions and unworkable policies inherent in this ill-conceived law, than the Democrats ever offered in enacting it. Unfortunately Blatham doesn't mention that.

Again Obamacare is unravelling entirely on its own. Insurers are opting out of the system due to heavy losses, patients aren't signing up as required in the law and provisions in it the feckless Obama adiministrating isn't even making an effort to enforce. Fiunally rates are rising fast, and authorized government funds to bail it out are running out - all without any corrective action on the part of Democrats or our hapless President.

layman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, it's not just that they're playin partisan politics. It's that they CAN'T allow Obama care to be replaced.

It's Obama's legacy.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:03 pm
@layman,
Perhaps Republicans should simply let it collapse on its own.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:46 pm
@georgeob1,
I'd rather they fix stuff than try to score some kind of political points.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:22 pm
@McGentrix,
I think polishing a turd is likely a waste of time. There are a couple of Republican replacement bills at various stages of readiness, but given Schumer's words it appears they will merlly howl about the outrageous withdrawl of benefits. It may well by wise to go slow and allow the crisis to unfold.
0 Replies