Is this a new thing - sitting on highway overpasses?

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 03:22 pm
Maybe this is just a coincidence -- but in the past week I have seen two different situations where individuals are sitting on the railing on a highway overpass.

I know I have heard of various "challenges" one reads over social media. My daughters did a harmless one --- try to use only 20 dollars and purchase an entire outfit (shoes, top, bottom, accessories) of something you like. Then there are extreme dangerous challenges such as "chubby bunny" one and the cinnamon one.

Is this one of these sorts of challenges -- has anyone heard of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 05:11 pm
@Linkat,
What I have seen at the San Jose International Airport are cars parked at one end of the flight path watching the planes land and take off. I assume they are people who have never flown.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:22 am
A teenaged boy was telling me how he got this ugly looking burn mark on his forearm. He said it was an ice cube challenge. Kids see who can tolerate rubbing ice on a single spot on their body the longest. I kid you not, it looked like a fairly fresh 2nd degree burn
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:44 am
@snood,
Yeah it is really odd - there are all these sorts of challenges kids do -- some are actually dangerous. My kids fortunately are bringing them up to me before they engage in them.

ON the one hand though - we used to do dumb things --- but it was more word of mouth dares (ie licking a cold metal pole in the winter --- nope I didn't do it but there seems almost every year some dumb kid did). Just now they have internet access so they get a bit more creative challenges.

I once dared (and this was a young adult college graduate) to take a shot of hot pepper flakes. I never in my life thought he would be dumb enough to do it. But you know guys they want to look cool and impress the girls - well after he did it -- he certainly did not look impressive.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:53 pm
@Linkat,
Sitting on a highway overpass rail can be dangerous or not so much depending on the sturdiness of the rail as well as the overall size of the seating section. It would also depend on how much space between the rail and the roadbed.

Either way, it seems nuts (to me), but no more insane than a person who decides to lie down on railroad tracks.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:01 pm
@Sturgis,
It seems nuts to me too, but when you're young......I've done similar "dangerous" things. All young boys believe they are invincible.
Look at those 16 people who flew in the balloon and lost their lives. A relatively safe thing to do.
I have flown in small airplanes and helicopters with no fear. Even let my son when he was 16 years old learn to fly. He took me up only once. When we were visiting in Hawaii many decades ago, when my brother-in-law was stationed at Hickam Field, his friend, PJ, flew us on a single engine plane to Kauai.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:04 pm
Yeah, that sounds extremely dangerous, and hopefully those who do it will be caught in the act.

A lot of overpasses now have cages around them. I'm thinking that should be a standard feature.

If it's an overpass cars use, something built up from the railings that would make it impossible to climb over.

Kids do crazy things, but this is just too unsafe.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:07 pm
@chai2,
And it's unsafe for other people who aren't being stupid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:08 pm
@chai2,
Now that you mentioned it, I have seen those screens at overpasses where there are pedestrian walks.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

And it's unsafe for other people who aren't being stupid.

Oh yes!
Definately!

Just recently a 59 year old guy was arrested here for multiple rock throwing incidents. There have been a about 100 rock throwing incidents in the last 2 years. It's thought he's responsible for "the lions share of them"

He's been charged with aggravated assuault with a deadly weapon, and they hope to charge him with attempted murder.

One guy had the rock come through his windshield, breaking his jaw, brain injury and a stroke. The rock thrower was the one that called 911 saying he saw the guy swerve into the median. What a sicko.

Even worse, this guy is also now a suspect of sexual assault on a 9 year old.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:35 pm
@chai2,
There's been a shooter on the highway near Berkeley on highway 80 that's been ongoing for quite some time. He's going to kill somebody that's going to kill others.

EDIT: It seems the shooter has been caught. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/05/26/arrests-made-in-east-bay-freeway-shootings/
0 Replies