"Until this moment I think I never really gauged your cruelty"

giujohn

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:14 pm
@oralloy,
Actually, watching it I felt kind of dirty, like prostitution.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:16 pm
@oralloy,
We will see how that plays in the press Oralloy. You have guaranteed us a Trump victory... we will see how much you know next week too.
oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
We will see how that plays in the press Oralloy.

Meh. Liberals seem to like to feign outrage over completely non-outrageous things. The press may cover some Leftist histrionics about this. But then when nothing comes of the histrionics, the world will move on to something else, and the media will move along right with them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:33 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
Actually, watching it I felt kind of dirty, like prostitution.

I listened along, but didn't actually watch the screen. The guy sounded to me like just another embittered liberal who hates anyone who disagrees with him.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:49 pm
@maxdancona,
(listining)

I take your main point.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:09 am
@oralloy,
There are a lot of people I disagree with and respect. Trump supporters are a special case.

The core of Trump support is White Supremacy (I don't say that about everyone I disagree with). People who support Trump who aren't White Supremacists are putting party over country.

I don't have any respect for Trump supporters.
giujohn

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are a lot of people I disagree with and respect. Trump supporters are a special case.

The core of Trump support is White Supremacy (I don't say that about everyone I disagree with). People who support Trump who aren't White Supremacists are putting party over country.

I don't have any respect for Trump supporters.

First, please State your definition of white supremacy and second,please State your proof.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
thack45

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:50 am
Donald Trump is understandably quite upset by Mr. Khan's vicious allegations:
Quote:
While I feel deeply for the loss of his son, Mr. Khan who has never met me, has no right to stand in front of millions of people and claim I have never read the Constitution, (which is false) and say many other inaccurate things source

Making inaccurate claims about others, whether it's in front of millions of people or not, certainly is a shitty thing to do..
Quote:
If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. source

Quote:
In a tweet on Friday night, Trump incorrectly said that Hillary Clinton and the Democrats are "trying to rig the debates."
In fact, the fall debate schedule was determined almost a year ago by the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, a private group made up of both Republicans and Democrats...

"I'll tell you what I don't like. It's against two NFL games," he said. "I got a letter from the NFL saying, 'This is ridiculous.'"
An NFL spokesman said Saturday: "While we'd obviously wish the debate commission could find another night, we did not send a letter to Trump." source

That's just in the last 48 hours..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:03 pm
@snood,
I agree with you. If the media had done its job, Trump would now be toast. Instead, he's a runner up for POTUS.
How can a sociopath like Trump be at this stage of the election? He's a known racial bigot, xenophobe, a habitual liar, and a woman hater.
What gives?
revelette2

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
For starters, the media gave Trump more air time than any other candidate, including negative air time for Clinton's emails sagas. They couldn't get enough of him, now they are all wondering, "how did we get here?" Give me a break as Joe Biden says.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 01:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I agree with you. If the media had done its job, Trump would now be toast. Instead, he's a runner up for POTUS.
How can a sociopath like Trump be at this stage of the election? He's a known racial bigot, xenophobe, a habitual liar, and a woman hater.
What gives?

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!! It's that damned mainstream media In Cahoots with that billionaire Trump... They have an agreement with Trump to help raise their ratings... I thinks they may be paying Trump under the table! Well Hells Bells they've been in secret talks with Trump for over a year. It's all been orchestrated, it's a sham!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 01:37 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
This Khan guy made an over the top attack against Trump, and Trump was well within his rights to hit back at him.

"Within his rights" is to set a pretty low bar, he is within his rights to do many stupid things.

And not all attacks and criticisms are created equal, there are many legitimate criticisms he could have used but he went for the mindless playground insults as per usual.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's not the media's job to go out of their way to take down candidates. And if they had gone out of their way to do so it would have played into Trump's hands as the "anti-establishment" and "anti liberal media" candidate.

Ultimately Trump's success is the result of there being enough people who support him, and no the media can't change that. The media is overwhelmingly anti-Trump, even conservative outlets have attacked him and fought with him (how many Republican candidates have fought with Fox news over the bad coverage they get?) and it didn't stop him.

If anything can be blamed on the media it is that they are driven by clicks and eyeballs and this train wreck brings it in spades and they are part of feeding the cycle by giving him attention. Even the attacks on Trump keep him in the press.
giujohn

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 01:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I certainly can't argue with any of that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 02:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, we've already established that you and I disagree on this, but since you're continuing to push your narrative that the media doesn't have great culpability in the rise of Trump, I feel obligated to provide dissent.

The media has not done their job - by working to normalize all Trump's atrocious behaviors and pronouncements from the very start, they have helped create the illusion that he is doing nothing out of the ordinary. They know his behavior has reached unprecedented lows for a public figure, but they exploit it for ratings, rather than expose the lies, distortions and insults that make up his campaign.

He has said and done things that would have - until him - been considered at least marginal behavior and most likely unacceptable in a public figure. But they have worked overtime to make his atrocious and shameful behavior appear just 'politics as usual.' How? By quickly moving on from one ridiculous, unsupportable statement of his to the next without challenge, so as not to be "scooped" by the competition in the 24 hour news cycle. By finding a false equivalency for every statement or behavior of his - as if everyone is doing the same kind of foul, dehumanizing, racist spiel. I saw it this morning. When Alex Castellanos (Trump surrogate) was asked about Trump's latest profane behavior against the parents of a Muslim war hero, they allowed Castellanos to answer by raising the charges about Hillary supposedly causing Americans in Benghazi to die. They allowed him to do that, then nodded and moved on.

Years after the run-up to Bush's Iraq invasion, a lot of stories surfaced about how the media had done the public a grave disservice by not being tougher on Bush administration representatives - by not asking tougher questions. There were stories about how some of them knew Bush's justification was shaky, but they just went along with the crowd. Phil Donahue lost his top -rating show at MSNBC because he was outspoken in questioning the run-up to Iraq.

I say we we will see those type stories surface years from now about Trump's rise, and how it could have been checked by genuine journalism. Unless Trump wins. Then the press probably won't be free enough to comment about such things.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 02:36 pm
@snood,
I guess I don't really have much to say to your dissent because it strikes me as coming from someone watching completely different events than I am. I don't recognize what you say in the reality I share at all.

Not sure if we just read different things (though I tend to read lots of aggregators so it's pretty broad) but I have heard time and again from nearly every editorial bit of journalism (and non-editorial journalism should just report the facts and not try to editorialize anyway) that this is not normal. In fact we are on a thread about an article that is making that precise point that you say the media is not making, here is a quote from the article: "the 2016 election isn't simply Democrat vs. Republican, but normal vs. abnormal."

I have not seen almost any editorial support for Trump at all, I do not see him being "coddled" at all, even Fox news went after him (see Megyn Kelly spat).

Simply put, the reality you describe is simply not the reality I am in at all so I don't really have much to say other than we apparently disagree. I think the media has covered him more negatively than anyone I have ever seen run for president and his success has been in spite of it. But yeah, I acknowledge that you see things very differently here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:04 pm
@snood,
I agree about Trump's atrocious behaviors and pronouncements.
The following is only one of many I found on Trump. If there were only a few with their opinion about Trump, I would ignore them. But there are many from some of our best universities.
http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/02/psychologist-explains-trump-is-literally-a-narcissistic-psychopath/

That Trump would encourage violence at his gatherings should be enough information about this sociopath.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I acknowledge that you see things very differently here.

But only after you make the point several times that mine isn't the "reality" you live in.

I've seen those instances you describe as "negative" handling of Trump. I live in the same world with just as much access to just as many outlets of information. Here's where we are going to have to leave this, Robert - if we want to respect each other's positions. You and I view the same event from different perspectives. You and I might see 10 news stories and disagree about what actually happened, and the ramifications of each event. I see it happen for instance, every time a black man is shot by a cop. Some folks see it as a justifiable act in the context of their dangerous jobs; some see it as a cowardly murder.
Depends on your point of view. I know the quote about everyone being entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts, and I agree with that. But I think it's a self-evident fact that Trump has gotten away with things any other politician would have been burned for, and you think its a fact that he's been handled negatively by the press.

So, we just disagree, and your reality isn't any realer than mine.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:00 pm
@snood,
I'm not trying to make the case that my reality or my perspective is any more valid than yours, though I'd obviously hold your opinion if I thought it were more accurate than mine. In any case I don't see any profit in repeating the differences of opinion either. We think differently and will both be fine.
0 Replies