"Until this moment I think I never really gauged your cruelty"

revelette2

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 08:44 am
It doesn't matter if Trump "meant" temporary ban of Muslims or continued ban, it is against the constitution to make laws based on religion which is why Khan asked Trump if he had ever read the constitution. It was a very logical question.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 12:48 pm
@revelette2,
What revelette2 said. The fact that many Americans are in this country because their ancestors migrated to America, and people like Trump don't understand the Constitution are based on ignorance and bigotry. What made America strong is the simple fact that the migrants from around the world came to America and made it great, and what it is today. People like Trump don't understand the basic knowledge about our history.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 01:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I posted you up for that, re some of the basis of american strength, but I've no idea what Trump understands, by which I mean I don't know his level of con that is going on. At base, he may actually mean all that. At - maybe worse - it's all a playing ploy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The other problem is that Trump appeals to angry White people and racists. There aren't enough voters to counter the women, African-Americans, Latinos, Muslims and educated people that he turns off.

Did you forget his running mate is an Evangelical, and there are many of that persuasian that would want an Evangelical as VP, and maybe one day the President? It is one of the beliefs, I thought, that at the Second Coming Jesus is going to be quite mad at his flock, let alone the rest of the world. The Catholic version of an all loving Jesus is not the Jesus off the U.S. hinterland, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:15 am
@izzythepush,
Not interested in your psychic knowledge about what's in Mr. Trump's mind. The fact is that reality doesn't jibe with the title of this thread. No one can tell me any cruel thing Mr. Trump said about the Khans, after Mr. Khan attacked him, other than mildly and briefly wondering why Mrs. Khan didn't speak as well. If that's the totality of what he did, it doesn't match the thread title, "I think I never really gauged your cruelty." That title makes it sound like he made vicious remarks about them, or their son, and he didn't.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:28 am
@Brandon9000,
The fact is reality doesn't fit in with your prejudices and complete lack of empathy. As a Trump supporter I doubt you're even on nodding terms with reality.

I've never been interested in your nonsense, and it is nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Scary, I think you're serious. I worked for Lockheed Martin when the contract was awarded so I wanted the Lightning to be a good plane but the concept was deeply flawed in trying to make the same airframe do VTOL and air superiority fighter.

True that you can't do both in one plane. But that just means that the F-35 is not an air superiority fighter.

Thus my comment about it being criminal to cancel the F-22, and my comment that Mr. Obama lied when he said the F-35 was good enough to do the same job as the F-22.

But anyway, if you do away with unreasonable expectations for the F-35 to be an air superiority fighter, then it is a fine plane. Instead of thinking of it as a replacement for the F-16, think of the F-35 as a replacement for the Harrier jump jet.

Leadfoot wrote:
Not Obama's fault but he wouldn't know **** about what was wrong with the F-35.

He opened his mouth and told people that it was OK to cancel the F-22 because the F-35 was good enough to do the same job. If he didn't know what he was talking about, he should have kept his mouth shut.

I have no expertise in brain surgery. If I started telling people random gibberish purporting to be knowledge about how to do brain surgery, I'd be lying.

Leadfoot wrote:
And if fighters are obsolete, why build it at all?

Fighters obsolete?!? We need air superiority. It is far better to have our ground forces able to fight without worry about attack from enemy planes, while the enemy worries constantly about attack from our planes.

There is a plan to have the new crop of stealth bombers be able to carry a huge mass of air-to-air missiles in their bomb bay. If it all pans out, perhaps they will be able to replace air superiority fighters. But this is still on the drawing board, so who knows how it will work in practice.

If this plan for air-superiority bombers doesn't pan out, our armed forces will be in trouble in the future if they end up in a big war, and all because Obama canceled the F-22.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:38 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
But you do agree that a temporary ban is still a ban?

Not in the current context. The term "ban" without the modifier "temporary" almost certainly refers to something permanent.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, Khizr Khan never said anything about it being permanent or temporary. And that's not really necessary, is it? A ban can be either temporary or permanent, as you yourself recognize. What you're arguing with, therefore, is Khan's choice in the way he describes the "total and complete shutdown" that Trump has proposed. In short, you're not saying he was wrong, just that you would have phrased it differently.

I do think it is necessary to state temporary if that is what is meant.

But even if he did mean temporary, there are still big problems with his statement. A temporary halt while the government comes up with better procedures would not violate the Constitution. If this guy is excoriating Trump for proposing a temporary emergency measure, then it is he who needs to go read the Constitution.

joefromchicago wrote:
Sorry, but I'm having trouble finding where Khan said that Trump had tried to silence him. It's nowhere in the excerpt that you posted.

His statement "he has to have the patience and tolerance for criticism" implies that Trump had done something that wasn't patient and tolerant of criticism.

His statement "but no one else can criticize" implies that Trump was trying to disallow criticism of himself.

It is kind of like the infamous question "have you stopped beating your wife". The statements contain underlying presumptions beyond their direct meaning.

joefromchicago wrote:
And regardless of whether Khan was being hypocritical or not, that doesn't mean he was "whining," which you said he was. I asked for examples of whining, not hypocrisy.
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, again, are those examples of "whining?" Certainly, you'd have to concede that Trump has engaged in similarly "colorful language." Does that mean that Trump has been whining as well?

I propose this as the best definition of "whine" in the current context:

1.3 - A feeble or petulant complaint:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/whine

I think all of my previous quotes from the guy meet the definition.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:42 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
It doesn't matter if Trump "meant" temporary ban of Muslims or continued ban,

No! Facts DO matter. This liberal nonsense that "lies aren't lies because words can mean whatever you want them to mean" is one of the reasons why people should always vote for Republicans.

revelette2 wrote:
it is against the constitution to make laws based on religion which is why Khan asked Trump if he had ever read the constitution. It was a very logical question.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution

"No establishment of religion" means that the government cannot have an official religion (which would then be favored over other religions). It does not prevent the government from temporarily halting immigration from nations that are deemed likely to have terrorists hidden in the populace.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:59 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Not in the current context. The term "ban" without the modifier "temporary" almost certainly refers to something permanent.

Since you accept the Oxford English Dictionary as an authoritative source, please tell me where you find "permanence" as part of the definition of "ban."

oralloy wrote:
I do think it is necessary to state temporary if that is what is meant.

So I was right. You don't think Khan's remarks were inaccurate, just that you would have phrased them differently.

oralloy wrote:
But even if he did mean temporary, there are still big problems with his statement. A temporary halt while the government comes up with better procedures would not violate the Constitution. If this guy is excoriating Trump for proposing a temporary emergency measure, then it is he who needs to go read the Constitution.

Can you cite a supreme court precedent for your position?

oralloy wrote:
His statement "he has to have the patience and tolerance for criticism" implies that Trump had done something that wasn't patient and tolerant of criticism.

Well, I don't think that was implicit, I think it was explicit. But that doesn't mean that Khan was accusing Trump of attempting to silence him.

oralloy wrote:
His statement "but no one else can criticize" implies that Trump was trying to disallow criticism of himself.

He said Trump thinks people can't criticize him. In other words, Khan was describing Trump's opinion, not his position or his intention to silence critics. So again, there's nothing there to suggest that Khan was saying Trump was trying to silence him. What else you got?

oralloy wrote:
It is kind of like the infamous question "have you stopped beating your wife". The statements contain underlying presumptions beyond their direct meaning.

No, I'm afraid you've misinterpreted that "trick" question as well.

oralloy wrote:
I propose this as the best definition of "whine" in the current context:

1.3 - A feeble or petulant complaint:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/whine

I think all of my previous quotes from the guy meet the definition.

How was Khan being petulant?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 06:20 am
@oralloy,
I am just glad you are not in a position to decide what the constitution means. We can not discriminate on the basis of a religion. Law experts have weighed in on the subject already. I'll take their reasoning over yours.

Quote:
Donald Trump proposed a system of religious discrimination for U.S. immigration policy on Monday, advocating a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States," according to a written campaign statement.

The incendiary proposal was swiftly denounced by Trump's rivals in both parties, and as a policy proposal it is probably illegal.

"I believe Trump's unprecedented proposal would violate our Constitution," said Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe. "Both the First Amendment's Religion Clauses and the equality dimension of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment."

Tribe, a constitutional law expert, said Trump's proposal also conflicts with the Constitution's general prohibition on religious tests outside of the immigration context. "It would also conflict with the spirit of the No Religious Test Clause of Article VI," Tribe told MSNBC Monday evening.

Beyond the law, Tribe said it was also notable that using religious discrimination for immigration would be "impossible to administer" and "stupidly play into the hands of extreme Islamic terrorists."

In the modern era, federal immigration law has generally cited religion to protect and welcome refugees facing religious discrimination by other countries — not to advance discrimination by the U.S. In 1980, for example, Congress passed an amendment to the Immigration and Nationality Act to protect some potential refugees facing "fear of persecution" on account of their "religion," among other factors.

As a matter of federal law, Trump's call to insert religious discrimination into national immigration policy would hark back to policies repealed many decades ago.

More at the source
McGentrix

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 07:01 am
@revelette2,
You've become a Constitutional literalist then? The Constitution means what the Constitution says and all that?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 07:41 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
True that you can't do both in one plane. But that just means that the F-35 is not an air superiority fighter

OK, call it a 'higher performance fighter', same thing applies, trying to make the same airframe do two radically different jobs is either doomed to failure or so costly that it is not justifiable and takes too long to develop. We got the second scenario. That's why the pentagon is talking about reviving the 'old' F-15 and flying A-10s.

Your points are valid about the canceling F-22, but they had no choice in the face of the F-35's cost, and that was before the costs about doubled when the reality of how hard it was to build a double duty aircraft were realized.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 09:51 am
@McGentrix,
When it concerns discrimination, yes I am.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 09:55 am
@McGentrix,
it's not about Constitutional literalists; it's about the Constitution, period. It's about discrimination based on religion which Trump doesn't understand. It seems you don't understand the Constitution too!@
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 03:28 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The fact is reality doesn't fit in with your prejudices and complete lack of empathy. As a Trump supporter I doubt you're even on nodding terms with reality.

I've never been interested in your nonsense, and it is nonsense.

Making negative comments about me personally, whether correctly or incorrectly, does nothing to advance your argument. Give me an example of something cruel that Mr. Trump said about the Khans. They certainly said negative things about him. I have given examples of nice things he said about Mr. Khan earlier in this thread. As far as I know, the only thing remotely negative he ever, ever, ever said about them was a brief and mild speculation as to why Mrs. Khan hadn't spoken. What is it he said about them that corresponds to the description "never really gauged their cruelty" in the thread title? I've asked that question in this thread before. Why can't you answer?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 04:07 am
@Brandon9000,
There's no argument to be had with you. Arguing with far right racists only legitimises their position. Trump is pushing a racist far right agenda and therefore you'll brook no criticism of him. He insulted the Khans, you refuse to see that and assume that you have the right to tell people whether or not they should feel offended by that.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:31 am
Trump goes back to his hotel and takes a bunch of those happy pills his proctologist prescribes to him for his err, "problem" and lets his defunct animosity take over. Sort of like a cross between Linda Blair in the Exorcist and Edgar Cayce on a bad day.

Smile

giujohn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's no argument to be had with you. Arguing with far right racists only legitimises their position. Trump is pushing a racist far right agenda and therefore you'll brook no criticism of him. He insulted the Khans, you refuse to see that and assume that you have the right to tell people whether or not they should feel offended by that.

Other than asking why his wife hadn't commented...which even at the farthest stretch of the imagination is not an insult... document for us the insult to the Kahn's.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:42 am
@TheCobbler,
Trump said his schooling was similar to serving in the military.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/us/politics/donald-trump-likens-his-schooling-to-military-service-in-book.html?_r=0
Trump lives in another reality.
0 Replies