What is the most terrifying image in movie history?

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:00 pm
Of all the horror flicks you've seen, which image scared you the most?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,438 • Replies: 46
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:44 pm
I felt a shock when I went into a theater and saw them making light of nuclear holocaust in Dr. Strangelove. It took most of the movie to recover. Since then I have watched it several times. It is one of my favorites.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dr Strangelove doesn't feel like a Stanley Kubrick film. 2001 does however feel in sync with The Shining.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:21 pm
@Thomas33,
I got so tired of 2001, I fell asleep. Same with The Shining.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
The funeral scene during the 70's Salem's Lot adaptation is scary; Mike Ryerson is drawn to Danny Glick's coffin, and what makes the moment so terrifying is that Ryerson has all the freedom in the world to run away, yet he's drawn like a magnet.

Another image is from The Woman in Black (2012); Daniel Radcliffe's lawyer returns to the house which contains the Woman, and there's a shot of her watching him from the window, him seeing her in return.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 10:29 pm
@Thomas33,
There's a scene in a movie I saw when I was very young. I don't know the name of it or remember any of the story, but there is one scene of a very old woman sitting in a rocking chair in a room by herself, creeps the living **** right out of me.
Also, seeing someone or something looking out at you from a window.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:27 am
http://cinesourcemagazine.com/images/uploads/4_12_Cvr15_ClawsSaucers_ph1.jpg
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:33 am
@TomTomBinks,
What other details can you remember about the scene?
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:34 am
@izzythepush,
Is this from a 1920's silent film: a surreal film?
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:43 am
Carnivale, an old HBO series that followed the nomadic experiences of a carnival troupe during the Dust Bowl era. There's a thick supernatural thread running through the plot.

One popular sideshow is a family of peep-show dancers. The dad barks and plays the records, mom and her two girls take it off and shake it. The management is aware of a virulent religiosity in one town they visit. - he warns the family not to perform in this town or to keep their tops on...

Greed wins the day, the family performs, one of the daughters is missing.

Meanwhile, the players have found a deserted town. Used to be populated by miners. They go into town occasionally, drink at the bar with the only inhabitant, a bartender who can never leave.

(Lol, not sure this lead up is worth the scene, but it was horrible to me). So they find the girl's body. They'd carved harlot in her forehead and hung her.

The manager of the carnival is compelled to attain vengeance, so he takes a gun to the ghost town, looking for the bartender. Truthfully, I forgot exactly how that plot resolved, but heavy misdirected human condition behaviors play out in a mob scene.

The vision that got me: The dusty group trudged through the abandoned town, leaving under the burden of possible guilt for the young girl's life and the possible scapegoating of an innocent man when the manager catches sight of something moving in the window of one of the buildings.

It's the dead girl screaming for help. She seems trapped in another dimension. We can't hear her. In moments, hands of a sea of old miners cover her body and pull her down.

Eternity.

That image stayed with me.

That show had a few gem episodes stuck in amid some of lesser quality.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:43 am
@Thomas33,
It's one of those classic moments in film, where it actually looks like someone's eye is being sliced with a razor. It's very hard to watch.

Quote:
Un Chien Andalou (French pronunciation: ​[œ̃ ʃjɛ̃ ɑ̃dalu], An Andalusian Dog) is a 1929 silent surrealist short film by the Spanish director Luis Buñuel and artist Salvador Dalí. It was Buñuel's first film and was initially released in 1929 with a limited showing at Studio des Ursulines in Paris, but became popular and ran for eight months.

The film has no plot in the conventional sense of the word. The chronology of the film is disjointed, jumping from the initial "once upon a time" to "eight years later" without the events or characters changing very much. It uses dream logic in narrative flow that can be described in terms of then-popular Freudian free association, presenting a series of tenuously related scenes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_Chien_Andalou

It's mentioned in Debaser by The Pixies.

Got me a movie
I want you to know
Slicing up eyeballs
I want you to know

Girlie so groovy
I want you to know
Don't know about you
But I am un chien andalusia

I am un chien andalusia
I am un chien andalusia
I am un chien andalusia

Wanna grow up to be
Be a debaser
(Debaser)
Debaser
(Debaser)
Debaser
(Debaser)
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:01 am
@Lash,
Reminds me of Oculus, a movie from just a few years ago - there's a similar situation at the end.
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:22 am
@Thomas33,
I'll give Oculus a look. Thanks.
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:32 am
@Lash,
Another great image is in Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers; Tommy Doyle is trying to break Kara Strode out of her room at the clinic, and the viewer is shown Myers entering the same hallway, just fifteen feet from Tommy.
(I actually think this movie represents far greater progress for Paul Rudd than his current time in the MCU)

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:27 am
@Thomas33,
When I was a kid I was terrified of the Cybermen in Doctor Who. I hid around a corner, much to my parent's amusement, when they were marching across the moon.

They weren't even that scary compared to now.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/20/79/10/20791053c15e5c67b35da80edf29f81c.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/4b0025bf8266a8b3bf756c841fab1f97ffebf95c.jpg
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
I never followed Doctor Who. But science-fiction has lots of terrifying images as well as horror; Palpatine from ROTJ, and the T-1000.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:51 am
@Thomas33,
It's strange what does scare kids. My daughter used to be terrified of the Wily tree geezer from Ren and Stimpy.

Sorry can't find a picture of him.
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:57 am
@izzythepush,
I think I've always found scary what I find scary as an adult. Tim Curry's Pennywise was scary when I was a child, but I still appreciate his performance today (and look forward to the remake).
The same applies to Palpatine; I always anticipated when he strikes his lightening at Luke, yet even today I think that scene is more than iconic.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:01 pm
@Thomas33,
Look into Dr. Who. Some of the images are terrifying in a not-what-you-are-used-to way. Weeping Angels, The Ood, The Silence.
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:26 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I am vaguely aware of Dr Who, but I just never bothered with it like I did Transformers, or Star Wars or Lost.
Did you watch Lost?