When are, if ever, pre-emptive strikes justified?

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:35 pm
Every source i'm able to check on-line while here at work does show the Seven Year's War as beginning in May, 1756--but they also all refer to a declaration of war between England and France. Therefore, having no other source to fall back on, i'll concede Frederick's attack in August on Saxony as a pre-emptive attack.
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:37 pm
Thomas wrote:
thethinkfactory wrote:
When are, if ever, pre-emptive strikes justified?

In principle, it's impossible to draw any clear line. In practice, the only specific example I can think of is Israel in the run-up to the six-day war. When Israel attacked, the armed forces of Egypt, Jordan, and Syria were mobilized, on their way to the Israeli border, and outnumbering the Israelis by far (if I am correctly informed). In this situation, no reasonable person could demand that Israel wait until the best moment for her enemies to attack.

If I recall correctly, Israel had really great intellegence that the Arabs were getting ready to strike, and mobilized everyone and everything. Then one of the smaller Arab units got out of postion and crossed some invisible line in the sand and shot something inconsequential, which did happen to belong to the Israelis. Therefore the Israelis were merely responding to yet another Arab attack. It's just that they took a page out of the Joe Paterno's play book, "The best defense is a good offense." and the Israelis cleaned house, almost.

Kelly
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
Kelly,

As I recall - there was a lot of talk at the time to get Isreal to stop this war - because they were cleaning house so badly.

So - we have - despite the history lessons of above - one paradigm case of preemptive strike.

That is the historical fact - no on to the philosophical facts - is it moral?

TF
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:24 am
Israel decimated Iraq Nuclear capability (the OSIRAK Nuclear Reactor Installation) with a pre-emptive attack on June 7, 1981.

Many muslims resent to this very day the failure of the USA or the UN to intervene.

All that seething resentment has been brewing for decades.

And now, we naively bat our eyes and wonder
why they're "out to get us".

Du-uh!
0 Replies