Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:09 pm
Letter to the Editor, Victorville, Ca Daily Press

On July 27 equivocal atheist John Pedigo with “Infinity” disputes another reader’s contention that God is finite and created the Universe, asserting "The Universe is infinite and if he is simply calling the Universe God, then I can get behind that.” Well, as an apodictical existential pantheist I’d agree only partially. Clearly, to explain why there’s a universe requires explaining a mysterious phenom we don’t yet understand; so perhaps I can offer a basis for truth in both camps. But to claim it’s infinite entails some notions pretty hard to accept.

(I adopted the adjectives “apodictical” and “existential” because they sound impressive. However as it turns out, they’re very much appropriate by suggesting our position to be very simple and straightforward--though having gained very little credence, at first seemingly obscure and arcane.

However John, regarding infinity: If the rules are the same everywhere, intuition says the Universe can't be infinite because anything that can happen would be happening, in an infinite number of different places. That means at this very moment under identical circumstances an infinite number of Dales are communicating with an infinite number of Johns.

Also an infinite number of Letters to the Editor essentially identical to this "one," the only difference being in my first para where the semicolon is replaced by a comma. Everyday logic maintains that if there’s a God She simply wouldn’t have done it that way. We can’t entertain the idea of Creation ‘cause it’s so full of contradiction and paradox: As Mr. Pedigo sdays, “Who created God…and who created that creator?” Also we’d add, where and when, if not how?

So we maintain that no contradictions are entailed if we simply assume She’s existed forever, in one form or another. Yet why? Well then, we have to assert She’s not supernatural, She exists ‘cause She has to. Her absence, it will eventually be shown, would be impossible in any universe with even the slightest change in any natural constant. Thus She’s merely a natural body; probably nothing outside Her, It, the Universe; since there isn’t any outside. Her body is the Universe and all the activity therein Her thinking.

Then what about Good and Bad? As John maintains, "The meaning and purpose comes from man. Free will comes from mankind and can be good or evil.” Thus what’s good for one guy is awful to another: For Porky's defender, the idea of our Christian friend keeping a pig, intelligent as a 3-year-old humanoid, in a dirty pen is disgusting; but even more evil to hang him upside down and cut his throat so he painfully bleeds to death before chopping him up and eating him.

Thus, is there a God or not?. Well yes and no.

Given the ability to do near anything at all, however, will She punish me and my friends for harboring my crazy idea?

I’ll think about that as I crunch my morning bacon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,695 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't personally like one thousand dollar words when simple words will suffice. That's my .02c worth.
There is no god; only nature.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yea thanks Cis, that's another way to put it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think Elmore Leonard a waay better writer than Charles Darwin. Charles could hve made a bigger argument with 1.3 of the words(and a better choice of those he used ).

dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
Alas Man, 1.3 of the words is 30 percent more of 'em

Myself no shining example. Too often have I saved a posting without first editing it

Maybe tho you could link something pertinent about the former

That's Elmore not Dale
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:14 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm going to break with my tradition and say yes, yes there is a God.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Everyday logic maintains that if there’s a God She simply wouldn’t have done it that way.

Doesn't that assume you know what She is trying to accomplish?

I find it astonishing that Her methods and 'paradoxes' can be used as justification for declaring Her non existent when Her reasons and motives don't even get a moments consideration.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 05:02 pm
@rosborne979,
I respect your commitment. I guess I'm one of those people who trust what scientists tells us about our species, and how humans evolved. I know it's only their best guess, but I'm okay with that.
0 Replies

PanarinI

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 03:01 pm
@dalehileman,
You crunch your bacon and your bacon doesn't crunch you:)
"Your bacon crunches you and you don't crunch bacon" - could have been typed in a single Universe of infinite ones.
//typed when eating a sausage
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 03:27 pm
@PanarinI,
Quote:
"Your bacon crunches you and you don't crunch bacon" - could have been typed in a single Universe of infinite ones.

Yeah, yeah, W. Shakespeare's sonets too.

But we don't have a universe of infinite ones. (it would take some zeros too BTW)..
PanarinI

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 03:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Why don't we?)
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 03:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
what She is trying to accomplish?
Apparently, anything that can happen will happen

Quote:
reasons and motives don't even
Well put, foot
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:18 pm
@PanarinI,
Quote:
Why don't we?)

Cause like it or not, we live in a finite universe.
Besides, If there were an infinite number of ones, there wouldn't be room for anything else, even though they take up less space than zeros.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Apparently, anything that can happen will happen

Hope so, I need the distractions. I get bored easily.
Krumple

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:22 pm
@dalehileman,
There are other factors here.

The first is that space is infinite but mater is finite. It means we are limited in scope but if space is infinite there is no imbalace as long as mater is finite.

If there are other infinite realities then it stands to reason that there is a reality where even the concept of god does not exist. No religion and the idea of a creator has never been thought. I bet it's a great reality to exist in too.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
How can you be bored? You spend the good part of every day on a2k.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How can you be bored? You spend the good part of every day on a2k.

Do you always answer your own questions?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
You said,
Quote:
I get bored easily.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes I did.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:29 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
where even the concept of god does not exist
Us pantheists have an even better approach but before we can express it adequately we havta change our way of thinkin'

I'd agree that certainly there's only one finite reality
0 Replies