How long will a fly infestation last?

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:27 am
I live in a one bedroom ground floor apartment. Two weeks ago I noticed about 5-10 maggots underneath my bathroom mat and some buried in the hallway carpet. Last week I found about 15 brown pupae and by Thursday night 2-3 adult flies followed by a lot of flies in the kitchen on Friday afternoon. I also had some in my living room and bedroom. It's now Saturday morning and there was more killing required in all rooms but not as many as yesterday afternoon. Should I call out an exterminator? One company I spoke to said the infestation will die down after that initial burst on Friday Is this true? I'm concerned they're laying more eggs. Should I get the property treated asap or will it die down as long as I keep killing them quickly. I don't know what the initial host for the eggs was, it's a new build property so unlikely to be any dead animals in the walls or whatever. As it's summer I did have the patio doors open a lot which is maybe how the initial fly got in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,487 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:11 am
@jeromecorey,
I'm sure they got in because of the patio doors being open. Or some other opening, e. g. even a small hole in a screen.

Either way, I would get it treated. The idea of an infestation just dying down seems absurd. But I am not an expert in this area; I'm just thinking you want those suckers gone and I suspect just hanging around is a less than ideal remedy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:32 am
@jeromecorey,
Their behavior will depend on what species they are of course, but in general, if you remove their food sources they (and most insects) will not hang around or reproduce. Also, a maggot cannot mature into an adult fly without a food source, so they must be (or have been) eating something.

The real question is, what attracted them in the first place, and can you find it and get rid of it. An exterminator wouldn't hurt. At least they will be able to identify the species and figure out what they are doing there.

What geographic area are you in? Is this in a cold climate or a tropical climate?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 12:08 pm
@jeromecorey,
A pest (your label) will vacate as soon as you stop feeding it.
0 Replies