Is it racist if someone doesn't find other ethnicites attractive?

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 04:25 pm
Men who are Western and have light skin is what appeals to me, because that's what I am, but I just can't help but to feel bad when I single out other ethnicites as being a potential partner in a relationship, or even a friend. I don't find the majority of Asian, African, Brazilian, Middle Eastern, Indian and African American men attractive. And a big turn off for me is when a guy doesn't speak English, or their English is broken. If this is classified as racism, what can I do to fix that, because I do not in anyway like my way of thinking?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:01 pm
@Maybebroken,
Have you ever wondered why white folks like to get tans?
roger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Lot'sa times.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:04 pm
@roger,
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-11/young-women-tanning-beds/54875904/1

As this study shows, over 30% of white women use tanning beds. Are you still a racist?
Maybebroken

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Due to the lack of melanin in our skin. Most white people don't like being pale, but I don't feel that answers my question.
chai2

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:22 pm
@Maybebroken,
No they sure didn't, did they.

No it's not racist.

Would you be asking this question if you were Black, saying you really only found other Black people attractive?

It's what you find attractive.

I have to disagree with you saying "most white people" don't like being pale. Where did you come up with that? I'm pale, I like it just fine.

If you're going by that article ci linked to, that 32% of young white women who use tanning beds are ages 18 to 21. In other words, college age kids. People who probably not yet supporting themselves, and don't have adult responsibilities yet.

Tanning beds have been popular with younger college age people for decades. They get over it when they go out into the world.

If you continue to read on, it states that 5.6% of adults have reported using a tanning bed in the last year (even once).
Do the math. It's pretty much very young people/adults.

There are some ethnicities I find attractive, and some I don't. It's human nature to have preferences.
Maybebroken

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:26 pm
@chai2,
I shouldn't have said 'most'.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-11/young-women-tanning-beds/54875904/1

As this study shows, over 30% of white women use tanning beds. Are you still a racist?

32% of white women between 18 and 21 and
30% of white women between 22 and 25.

Only 5.6% of the total population, both men and women, of all ages have used a tanning bed it the last 12 months.

Like I said in my previous post, this is pretty much a college girl thing. It was the same back in the day when I was in college. You stop when you get a job and go to work.
0 Replies

Kleinmk5

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:54 pm
@Maybebroken,
No its a matter of personal preference
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 07:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That one has puzzled me a little in the past. But the things that really get me head scratching is when white women get butt implants and lip implants to protrude in the same ways that black women have been denigrated for.
chai2

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:10 pm
@snood,
I know snood, that's really weird.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 03:19 am
I have never understood the sun-worshipers, either. I have very pale skin, i avoid the sun as though it were the plague. As for my butt, i ain't gonna go there.
Reggiemaha1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:03 am
No not exactly. racism is only the act of being racist like actually doing things that offend or hurt other races. More like stereotypical in your situation
0 Replies

Reggiemaha1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:10 am
But don't feel bad, this actually applies to everyone. Psychologically, we are actracted to people who look like us because it makes us believe that we can trust them more. Ever wondered why lots of couples look the same ?
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:12 am
I've been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink," and he has compiled an impressive peer-reviewed body of evidence that racial strife in our country from simplistic issues like dating preferences to the shooting of Diallou (sp) and others results from ingrained social conditioning.

It's fascinating and highly recommended for people interested in why race is still such a visceral problem in the US.
saab

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
It is a question of fashion.
It used to be - before sunscreens - that only out door workers had a tan.
Noone of upper classes wanted to be taken for a worker. Why do you think they had parasols, hats and all the other things to cover up the skin.
When swimming and bathing at the beaches started, people used bathingsuits covering big parts of the body. A suntan was a way of bragging - I can afford to go to the beach
Bathing suits got smaller, the suntan deeper and now again we should not get a suntan.
http://www.b.qbicom.se/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GammalBild1.jpg
0 Replies

Maybebroken

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:16 pm
@Reggiemaha1,
Feeling safer with someone who looks like you, isn't that classified as racism? I'm sure the only reason why "psychologically" we feel that way is due to society embedding in us that people who look that way, or this way are bad because they don't look "decent" or that they look "thuggish". It's wrong to not trust someone due to how they look, and I don't like that I think that way. It is NOT okay. There are people who "look" but they are bad people, and it's biased for me to trust them, but to coward away from someone who doesn't look like me. My mom doesn't look like my dad, but she married him. Or do you mean skin color when you say that we are attracted to people who "look" like us? I happen to know a lot of couples who don't LOOK like each other. It's not something normal that EVERYONE does. In that case, why don't children stick with people who look like them? It's only in older people that you see sticking with your "own". That's why this world is so divided.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:40 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

That one has puzzled me a little in the past. But the things that really get me head scratching is when white women get butt implants and lip implants to protrude in the same ways that black women have been denigrated for.

In line with your puzzlement, why were "bussels" (spelled correctly?) part of women's fashions in the 1890's?

Not that I'm correct, but the two cosmetic surgeries you mention above might be reflecting that on an unconscious level, Caucasoidals do believe that Blacks possess more physical appeal.

However, seriously, have you ever noticed how blotchy white skin can be (a la a plucked chicken), and Black skin can be silky (except in the winter when it might get "ashy" and many Black women periodically apply hand lotion cream).

Having went through a phase in my younger years, where I read books on palmistry, which some believe was once a science in ancient India, but the libraries were destroyed when India was attacked from the North by the Aryans, against the darker Dravidians, you must be aware that many Blacks have longer fingers than many Caucasoidals. This reflects a more cerebral orientation, compared to those with shorter fingers, that are supposed to reflect more base, earthier emotions, in the world of palmistry.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I have never understood the sun-worshipers, either. I have very pale skin, i avoid the sun as though it were the plague. As for my butt, i ain't gonna go there.

Can you expound on where the "freckle" came from?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:42 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I've been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink," and he has compiled an impressive peer-reviewed body of evidence that racial strife in our country from simplistic issues like dating preferences to the shooting of Diallou (sp) and others results from ingrained social conditioning.

It's fascinating and highly recommended for people interested in why race is still such a visceral problem in the US.

What's so hard to understand that the masses can be easily brain washed. Do you really think anti-Semitism came from Christ dying on the cross?
0 Replies