Is it ok for Democrats to persecute a man for his Atheism?

RABEL222

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:54 pm
@Lash,
Hay Lash, remember when your honest Bernie hacked into the Clintons information early in the election cycle?
Lash

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:59 pm
@RABEL222,
Hay, ignernt. That didn't happen.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:24 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Religiously, SBs and Jews both believe in the God of the Old Testament, so they have that much in common. Atheists are godless.

I think you're right. I thought you were alluding to the hatred of Jews (for killing Jesus) by Christians which is largely mythical.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Largely mythical? Even leaving the Holocaust out of it there were pogroms in Russia, the Spanish Inquisition and the expulsion of all Jews from England during the reign of Edward I. And that's just scratching the surface. There's a **** ton more of persecution.

Try researching a bit before posting such absolute bollocks.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't say the Jews were not persecuted, only that the reason was not killing Jesus. And I was speaking of present day but I would argue the point even back then. And you forgot the KKK btw.

First, the groups you mentioned are only self proclaimed Christians. Do you really believe the Nazi movement was Christian? The literal meaning of 'Christian' is 'Christ like'. If that description doesn't fit, they aren't Christian.

Second, the current historic and current hatred of Jews is not based on the crucifying of Jesus but is more related to 'clan' rivalry or jealousy issues (those damn Jews have taken over Hollywood, banking, business, etc.)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:54 am
@Leadfoot,
I said I was scratching the surface. If we're talking about present day, there's still plenty of anti Semitism in Hungary and other Eastern European countries.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Do you really believe the Nazi movement was Christian?

When it suited them, the pope who supported them definitely was.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
Yes there is, but the reason is not that they killed Jesus.
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:58 am
@Leadfoot,
It was money.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 08:11 am
@Leadfoot,
No, that's the justification.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 08:51 am
@izzythepush,
So there's this massive conspiracy based on the killing of a man who you presumably don't believe existed?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Don't presume to tell me what I do or don't believe. For a start it's none of your bloody business and I don't proselytise.

Anti Semitism has plagued Europe for millennia, it's a fact. Whether it was because they supposedly killed Christ, thus letting the Roman Empire off the hook, is debatable. They were a handy scapegoat for the powers that be when things go wrong and their money was another motivating factor, but regardless of all that it still happened.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:27 am
@izzythepush,
I was just ask'n, no gun to your head or anything.
Again, yes, anti Semitism exists.

But more to the point of the OP, I find it interesting that the leaked email reveals the unspoken fact that if you can get a US presidential candidate to say 'I don't believe in God', he WILL be instantly disqualified and un-electable. I don't think that fact has anything to do with the religious right nut jobs either.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I was just ask'n, no gun to your head or anything.
Again, yes, anti Semitism exists.

But more to the point of the OP, I find it interesting that the leaked email reveals the unspoken fact that if you can get a US presidential candidate to say 'I don't believe in God', he WILL be instantly disqualified and un-electable. I don't think that fact has anything to do with the religious right nut jobs either.

What does it have to do with, then?
Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:58 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Mrs Clinton has chosen a VP candidate, who speaks Spanish. Is that supposed to be an important quality, if one is to be a powerful VP candidate?

What's more important for either a presidential ( or VP) candidate, a man who believes in God, or a man who speaks Spanish? ( Who cares, by the way!)

Maybe, if Bernie spoke Spanish, no one would care whether he believes in God or not.

The VP choice for a women candidate might be as sensitive a choice as in private enterprise, when a women is up for a big promotion, and managment has to find someone that will report to her, while not upsetting egos, so the organization continues to run smoothly. Just extrapolating my observations from the private sector. The same concern might have been when a VP had to be found for our current President? There is a common denominator for both VPs chosen if you haven't noticed.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
The way I read it, they could have been looking to develop a contingency in light of the SBs and the Jesus thing.

So how do you think it would go? Do you think SBs would prefer a Jew or an Atheist as a VP?

Religiously, SBs and Jews both believe in the God of the Old Testament, so they have that much in common. Atheists are godless.

So, being born into a Jewish family is like being vaccinated against atheism?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
What does it have to do with, then?

I think it has to do with the 75% of people who are not religious, don't spend any significant time thinking about God but feel uncomfortable when anyone says there is none.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Atheists would be included in that 75% as you've described it, however.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:33 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
So, being born into a Jewish family is like being vaccinated against atheism?

Sure. Sometimes the vaccine doesn't take.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yes, absolutely.
0 Replies