Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:14 am
Howdy everyone. <3
Yes, long time no see... long time no say anything. Still love yall Smile

I have a question.

I need to cover a mattress that is king size, and smelly.
It was urinated on by a sick dog once, and the only cleaning it got was spot cleaning.
The mattress will be used again, but I dont know what kind of cover to suggest for these people that will contain the smell.. does that make sense?

The mattress is 10 years old and they want to cover it and use it, but find a cover that will stop the smell.

no, buying a new mattress is not an option. This mattress was expensive and medically necessary ( hear 4k on a mattress... )

so what mattress cover would work?
A simple plastic one is not enough... maybe waterproof ones since they keep it dry? Im clueless here..

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:32 am
@shewolfnm,
Can the people who own the mattress afford to have it professionally cleaned?

I wouldn't worry so much about covering the smell (if that's even possible) but I'd be concerned about ongoing bacterial growth if it was cleaned so poorly that the smell was able to develop.

The mattress needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

Then a good mattress cover (which will not be inexpensive)

http://cleanmyspace.com/how-to-clean-deodorize-and-care-for-a-mattress/

At ten years, the mattress is likely at the end of its usable life. Most mattresses now are warrantied for 10 years, though 15 might be possible. If it's stained, the warranty is void in any case.

A proper professional cleaning and best quality mattress cover could run to $500.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 11:36 am
I dont know if cleaning would be possible at that level unless there is an option for it where they are moving. I will definitely tell them about it.

the mattress is not available in a price range they can afford any longer, so they cant get rid of it,and they say it still works for them . ( many bone problems, muscle problems, movement issues etc)

I dont know how bad the smell is, im assuming they are more concerned with ensuring it wont happen again, but their search is based on what has happened to it before if that makes sense?

I will show them that link. thank you
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:16 pm
@shewolfnm,
Depending on how recently the damage occurred, it might be worth salvaging. If the smell remains - there's still bacterial activity to contend with.

Given modern mattress technology, there is absolutely no need to spend that kind of money on a mattress (other than advertising). I've been to many mediations and arbitrations on this very subject over the past two decades. Orthopods and chiros will tell you that a top quality Sears mattress set is appropriate. Those run $900 - $1500 US, even before the August sales (when mattresses are usually marked down). If specialty (i.e. firm) mattresses are required for medical reasons, they can get a prescription that some plans will cover a portion of - usually no more than the Sears equivalent, since better advertised mattresses aren't actually better mattresses . There are only a very very very few mattress factories - sticking different labels on identical mattresses.

Key to maintenance is the monthly flip and regular vacuuming. That will keep the mattress good for those 10 warranteed years. *

* for anyone reading this - keep that dang receipt and warranty - Sears in particular is good about honouring the warranty
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
"Given modern mattress technology, there is absolutely no need to spend that kind of money on a mattress"

Im not debating what they spent, nor am i going to tell them they were wrong for their purchase.
They need help covering it, and want to find the best cover, and best ways to preserve their medical bed. I get that. Do I agree with their purchase? no, but i also dont have their physical problems, so I dont have the right to say. ... but this is what they need.

im wondering if leaving it in the sun would help too IF there is a smell. You can do that with pillows and they 'dry' out some and can regain some of their buoyancy. I wonder if that would work with a mattress too. Granted, its a Kal King... so... eek. But they are moving anyway, maybe leaving it outside in the sun, uncovered while the semi gets packed, and then again when its unloaded will help.

im thinking a double cover might be good AFTER a good cleaning.
I dont know the last time the bed was urinated on.. I asked a bit and it seems like it was over a year or so ago, and it was only one animal ( elderly dog, kidney infection) .. so it could have been several times, could have been once or twice..

maybe a water proof cover, like those you would put on a toddler bed, and then a basic allergenic cover...

im still looking at the other covers though. I saw one that was 200... maybe thats a good choice.

A light spray with vinegar/water mix, before sitting it in the sun.. that might work too.. ?

ill do my best to evaluate it when I go over to their home again today and report back.
If the smell is bad, that will change the shopping and search needs.. if it isnt, maybe a simpler one, and a deep clean is enough.
I wish I knew more about the time frame though. that would make looking MUCH easier. hehe
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 01:00 pm
@shewolfnm,
I'm telling you about what's available now, so you've got a bit of extra info if there is discussion about what their options are going forward.

A new mattress set will cost more than a professional cleaning and two sets of commercial quality covers (which often reduce the benefits of the mattress - especially if there is plastic or rubber in the covers - which increase sweating even when you're on top of them) - but not even 50% more.

It's "keep it in your back pocket" info.

__

Once you've sniffed out the situation, you'll know more.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 02:11 pm
I agree, and I did try to suggest that to them, but they are worried that a bed may not do for them with this one does...I can understand that. Once you find something that works, you don't want to leave it alone, but I personally cannot imagine sleeping in a bed that may or may not have been cleaned professionally after that kind of a mess. Did I mention they are Hoarders?.....*sigh* and tying to tell them to buy new was daunting to say the least
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mattress cover
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:53:54