Who Is What?

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:06 am
I've asked members before to identify their ideological status and got a lot of "I don't believe in labels" responses.

I'm going to change the "question":

If you are game assess fellow members as one of the following (in no particular order):

1) Liberal
2) Progressive
3) Democrat
4) Leftist
5) Conservative
6) Libertarian
7) Republican
8) Rightist

Ideally you will use only one term, but if you feel it necessary, use more than one. I can't stop anyone from making up their own classifications or insisting that no classification applies, but please try not to.

It is important to note that there are no value judgments around these terms except those you bring to the exercise.

This is a version of a management exercise I have employed in companies I have helped run or owned.

I think most of us will not be surprised by how we are regarded even if we insist on rejecting labels, but some people may indeed be very surprised (this was my experience when I used this with my companies).

As long everyone is able to restrain themselves from invective, this shouldn't be a controversial thread.

It could lead to good discussion about what these terms, universally, mean.

I'll start it off with my next post.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 443 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:27 am
Georgeobi1: Conservative
Revellet: Democrat
ehbeth: Progressive
Maxdancona: Progressive
Lash: Libertarian/Leftist (This one was tough and I had to bend my own rule)

Just a start
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:28 am
Ass-essing myself, I am liberal, with a tinge of old school conservative. I don't like the label of progressive and I don't like for Democrats to masquerade as liberal but vote otherwise.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Not quite what I asked, but thanks. It will be interesting to see if others (should this thread go anywhere) agree with you.

For the record, I appreciate that no political label is likely to completely describe the opinions and world views of individuals, but they are used and they carry connotations.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 01:44 pm
Some folk seem easier to define than others. For the most part I've not given thought to the final title of a person. The few exceptions tend towards an almost maniacal shouting and I'd rather not incur their wrath (though in at least a few instances it's happened in the past). Seems wiser for me to read along and only respond if someone tries figuring me and gets it wrong...or right.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm left of the centre.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 02:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I get what you want but I've lost interest in my own political position and care even less about others' positions.

I think you did pretty good on you list with one exception.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who Is What?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:12:22