need help with my academic dismal letter

safi38

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 09:33 am
Dear USSC,
I am writing this letter of appeal asking to be re-in stated back in school for the fall semester.
I realized that I have not met the standards set by the college and have no one to blame but myself. However,I would like to explain why I have not been performing ideally and why I hope to work harder in the fall.

When I applied to xxx, I was overwhelmed when I got accepted to such Prestige college. I applied here because my former boss and his family members were alumni of this school and when I explain what I wanted to major in they encouraged me tovapply. It felt great to be a first time college student out of a family of five. I wanted to make a difference to my family by getting an education pass a high school diploma.
On entering xxx, I knew I had to maintain my GPA was a must, so I seek advisement, unfortunately for someone with a high school diploma, didn't know what tovexpect,I was not informed on how to select classes properly, so I choose the hardest classes in my first semester, which I failed terribly. I was placed on academic probation. I thoughthink I could redeem myself for the spring semester.

Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse. As the breadwinner for my family, my parents were diagnosed with medical issues, I couldn't keep up with my school fee or medical bills and in the midst of my finals I lost my job. This took a tool on my mental, I wasn't able to concentrate on my studies. I decided to do a class for the summer which I also failed.
When I received my dismissal e-mail I was so depress as I didn't know what to do.

At this point, I am making a promise that if re-instated,I work harder and take advantage of tutoring and advisement to help better my grades.
Thanks.

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 09:43 am
You need to tell how all those things that held you back are now Corrected or changed.
For example what about your parents? Are u still the family breadwinner?

What have you done about making wiser class choices? What school counselors have you sat down with and gotten a sensible schedule?

And - most importantly - what have you done to get yourself emotionally ready for school? Sorry to be so blunt, but your depression may indicate you are not able/ capable of being a student.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 09:57 am
@safi38,
I gather that English is not your first language.

Have you ever taken advantage of tutoring and help with English and with the rest of your studies? If you have not, then you need to indicate in your letter that you are going to if reinstated, and here are the steps you have already taken (and list them). Don't just vaguely mention them. Give specifics.

Here's the deal. Academic institutions see people like you all the time. It's not that they are unsympathetic. It's more that they have heard it all before. Furthermore, if you do not tell them how you are going to fix things in the future, then they know you and they are going to be in this exact same place a year or six months from now. While taking more of your tuition money is appealing to a lot of colleges, the people behind those colleges tend to be nicer than that.

They want you to not be wasting your time. But they are not responsible for your happiness, your ambitions, your organizational abilities, or your resourcefulness. They will help you if you ask, and if you show you are trying to improve things.

Show them how you are changing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:17 pm
@safi38,
I was overwhelmed when accepted by such a Prestigious institution as xxx, having selected it because my former boss and his family were alumni, and when I revealed my desired major they encouraged me. It felt great to be a first-time college student out of a family of five, wishing to make a difference to the rest of them by credentials beyond a high-school diploma.
0 Replies