Is Dredd (2012) better than The Avengers?

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 05:32 pm
Which do you think is better and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,397 • Replies: 12
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 08:29 pm

I'm not much for comics, or comics translated to the big screen, but I love 1980s Anthrax (the band), so obviously Judge Dredd strikes a huge chord with me. I watched the movie at home (in 3D).

I strongly recommend it for any Anthrax fan or Judge Dredd fan. For other people, I would say it is a typical action movie. Not terrible, but nothing that would win an Oscar either.

I might suggest that people familiarize themselves with Judge Dredd (and the world that his story is set in) before they see the movie if they don't already know. The movie will make a lot more sense if people have some idea "what is what" when they see it on the screen.

I never saw the Avengers movie, so I can't compare them. But maybe someone else can review it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 12:40 am
@Thomas33,
I've not seen the Avengers film but the 2012 Dredd film was a real disappointment. It lacked that 200AD feel, there were a few references to Mega City One Culture such as block wars and puglies but it was an aside.

This could have been about any couple of police officers fighting in a lockdown situation, it wasn't even that sci fiey.

I'm not a huge fan of Stallone but his film was much better, it had the Angel gang, Rico Dredd and ABC warriors in it. Definitely 2000AD.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 04:54 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to diverge though, and say that the Stallone Dredd doesn't hold a candle to the 2012 film; I'd also say that Dredd 2012 is better than The Avengers, because though entertaining the latter simply doesn't possess the maturity of the former.

Robert Downey Jr irritates me (at least in the role of Tony Stark), yet Karl Urban brings the right approach to Dredd (which I'd agree is a character inherently of substance - much more substance than of Batman as well).

Dredd 2012 has energy, great music, fun use of camera, and grounded and mature story (although I accept the criticism that the plot itself didn't necessarily represent the mythology of Dredd).

Would you say that the Judge Dredd world is better than Marvel, including things like X-Men.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 07:06 am
@Thomas33,
I much prefer the 200AD/Warrior world, but that's probably cultural. I'm English and British comics are more relevant to me.

Hard to be objective, I think 200AD is better but that might be down to home grown pride.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:36 am
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

Is Dredd (2012) better than The Avengers?

Short answer: No!

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooo!
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:43 am
@DrewDad,
For the longest time when I heard someone talk about The Avengers here, I wondered who they were going to get to play Emma Peel.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 09:22 am
@chai2,
She's now a Tyrell.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/26/15/3098B57200000578-3417517-image-a-10_1453822628135.jpg
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
Allegiances and Alliances.

Emma always knew which way the wind blew.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 05:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Stallone but his film was much better, it had the Angel gang, Rico Dredd and ABC warriors in it. Definitely 2000AD.

I've not seen the Stallone version, but I've heard a few complaints. I recall one Dredd die-hard fan complaining about a scene where he removed his helmet from his head in public, which according to him was something the comic-book figure never did.

There are a couple fan-edits out there that aim to fix the Stallone version and improve it, but I have not seen them either.

I suppose seeing the Stallone version and the fan edits should get bumped up to a higher priority on my to-do list.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 01:52 am
@oralloy,
Don't talk to me, I think you're the most repulsive individual I've ever come across not just on A2K but the internet. You have nothing of value to say about anything.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 09:17 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I've not seen the Stallone version, but I've heard a few complaints. I recall one Dredd die-hard fan complaining about a scene where he removed his helmet from his head in public, which according to him was something the comic-book figure never did.

There are a couple fan-edits out there that aim to fix the Stallone version and improve it, but I have not seen them either.

I suppose seeing the Stallone version and the fan edits should get bumped up to a higher priority on my to-do list.

Here is information regarding the fan-edits that I mentioned:

http://ifdb.fanedit.org/danny-cannon-s-judge-dredd/

http://ifdb.fanedit.org/judge-dredd-redemption/

It appears as if the major complaint about the Stallone movie is a sidekick that provides comic scenes that are contrary to the atmosphere of the comics.

(I still haven't seen the Stallone movie or either fan-edit. Just providing information.)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 10:40 pm
@Thomas33,
I never saw the (2012) Dread. I never had any desire to see the (2012) Dread movie. I did see the original Dredd years ago when it was originally released. The first Dredd movie was okay at best, but no big deal. I also saw the Avengers movie. I seriously doubt that any version of a Dread movie will ever be better than any Avengers movie.

Over the last decade or two, I've been disappointed in several movie remakes. The remake of Total Recall bored me to sleep. The original Total Recall was much better. I preferred the original Robo Cop movie over the remake. I preferred the original Road Warrior over the remake.
0 Replies