Can I legally buy a vehicle (Motorcycle) at 17?

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 05:29 pm
I have just recently passed my motorcycle safety course and have my permit. I want to take my skills test but do not have a bike and my mom will not let me purchase one. You may be wondering why I took the class anyways to begin with, I took the class to prove to my mom that I was mature enough to handle things on my own, (I went and bought my own gear, I purchased the class itself by myself also) and have took the time to sit down and try to talk to her but she isnt having any of it. So basically I have spent all of this money and it will be going to waste if I am not able to purchase a bike. I have told her multiple reasons and sent her many articles telling of why motorcycles can benefit me but no change. I have also stated that next year I will be turning 18 and will purchase one anyways but still, nothing. (Call me impatient if you want) . But I was curious if there were any loophole or way around the whole "You have to be 18 to sign a legal contract." Also I have also said that I am not getting a sportbike just a standard. Thanks for the help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 08:42 pm
@alexeatscrayons,
If someone wants to establish an unenforceable contract with you, it is their privilege. Why the would want to is beyond me.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 09:19 am
@alexeatscrayons,
Yes.
Whether you can use it, or not, on the road, depends on your country's regs and licensing laws.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 09:53 am
@alexeatscrayons,
Are you looking to take out a loan? If you are paying cash, there is no age requirement I know of. You should probably listen to your mother and hold off until you are 18. It's not like you could hide the bike even if you purchased it.

A note of caution to help you understand your mother: In my Navy days, I was the safety officer for my boat. The Navy kept outstanding records on sailors and accidents and one that caught my eye was that 95% of sailors who registered as motorcycle riders on base laid their bikes down within six months. I have asked riders over the years about this and every one of them has gone down, some multiple times. My bother went over the hood of a car that didn't see him and ran a stop sign. A man who worked for me was killed in an accident. A guy at work had a deer jump in front of him and suffered significant injuries. You are seventeen and I'm sure you think you'll be different. Those Navy guys were typically 18 and 19.
0 Replies