Dizziness problem!!!!!!

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 08:08 am
Hi, I'm 17 years old , from New Zealand and I desperately need some help/advice with this one.

I have gotten this dizziness for 7 years now. It feels like an earth quake is in my head. When I'm dizzy, I sway side to side, I have to keep my head straight otherwise I lose my balance and lasts for 2-3 hours, once to twice a week. I sleep it off and sometimes I do get a slight headache with it. I try to take a headache tablet but it rarely works.

Happens when I play sport, in bright places (malls, grocery stores, even when I'm watching a movie at the cinema) and when I’m not doing anything active. Sometimes it just happens.
I get sometimes get nausea with it and only twice have I vomited because of it.
I did hit my chin before this all started and I did have an eye surgery when I was 18 months old. (Maybe that has something to do with it?)

I've taken heaps of heart tests like an ECG, I had a heart monitor and some others, an inner ear test, an EEG and an MRI but they all came out clean.
I thought it was vertigo at first because of the symptoms but my ear test came out clean.

I'm now on medication (propranolol) but it's not helping, it only reduces the time I get it.
The doctors seem to think it’s migraine vertigo but I know what a migraine feels like and this isn’t it. It could be vertigo but my ear test came out clean. I’ve looked up the symptoms and I pretty much have all of them but I’m unsure.
Any advice? I'm out of opinions and it's ruining my life.

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 08:14 am
@someone300898,
Get tested for blood sugar and pressure. I get unexplained dizziness at times (here in the US at least, it's called a vasovagal response), and often water, sometimes plain and sometimes with sugar and/or salt helps. I've found heat and stress make it worse.

Disclaimer: I am no doctor, but these have helped me.
someone300898

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:03 am
@jespah,
Thank you so much! I will try that!
jespah

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:18 am
@someone300898,
Good luck! I know how distressing it can be.

The EMTs were kinda nice, though. Smile

Seriously, I have never been hurt by this, but it can be kinda scary. I definitely hear ya.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:40 am
@jespah,
I've had this a few times, almost all of them related to a blood pressure pill I used to take, and don't have to anymore, as my pressure is a lot better these days. (I still follow it, to watch for low pressure). I've gotten fainty once since, read up on the vago business again, and subsequently try to keep myself well hydrated. Didn't know about the sugar/salt being part of it, so do now, thanks to Jespah.
0 Replies

someone300898

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:11 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for your concern! I appreciate it Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:19 pm
@someone300898,
Did they do an MRI? I had one years ago when I had similar symptoms.

They discovered post-viral scar tissue in my middle ear that they couldn't discover otherwise.

I can mostly control the symptoms by using an antihistamine when I know the barometric pressure is about to drop.
someone300898

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 12:29 am
@ehBeth,
Yes, I had an MRI for my brain but it came out clean like all of my other test results so now I'm stuck on what it is and the doctors just put me on medication that doesn't really work.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:02 am
@someone300898,
I had two MRIs and an MRA in Feb following a stroke. It was also clean, but I guess somebody has to pay for all that expensive equipment.
0 Replies