Atheists embarrassed: study proves atheism uses less brain function

Expert2

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:53 pm
Atheists embarrassed: study proves atheism uses less brain function
Oct 26, 2015 by Dr. Joel McDurmon 62 Comments

This has to be embarrassing . . . if you’re an atheist. A new study performed at the University of York used targeted magnetism to shut down part of the brain. The result: belief in God disappeared among more than 30 percent of participants.

That in itself may not seem so embarrassing, but consider that the specific part of the brain they frazzled was the posterior medial frontal cortex—the part associated with detecting and solving problems, i.e., reasoning and logic.

In other words, when you shut down the part of the brain most associated with logic and reasoning, greater levels of atheism result.

You’ve heard the phrase, “I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist”? Apparently we can now also say, “I have too many brains to be an atheist.”

For a group that makes so much noise vaunting its superior prowess with logic and reasoning, this study has got to be quite a deflator. For a group that claims to be rooted primarily in logic and reason, and to exist for little reason other than that they have used logic and reason to free themselves from belief in God and, as they allege, superstition and fairy tales, this study is the equivalent of a public depanting­—i.e., the would-be emperor’s got no clothes.

The problem is, this laughably transparent attempt to exalt evolution and downplay the existence of God has one major flaw: it proves that the best way to get there is to turn off reasoning and logic—the very part of the brain that does the very tasks they wish to exalt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,145 • Replies: 32

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:24 pm
I give you half a point for enthusiasm.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm deducting half of that half a point for the OP nonsense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:15 pm
Maybe it takes a lot of brain capacity to hold a belief in the unbelievable.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
@Expert2,
What this really means is that if someone who doesn't believe in the god can beat you in a thinking contest, you will be doubly embarrassed.

As an aside, was the word embarrassed once spelled em-bare-assed?
Charlie4U

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
I reckon this is the only study proven to be a fact? I never had an atheist show me proof or evidence that the big bang created anything nor the missing link that reptiles became mammals. Ahhh.. less brain function. The dumbing down of society.
Glennn

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:22 pm
@Charlie4U,
Well, there were 38 participants in the study. I guess that makes it conclusive.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:22 pm
@Charlie4U,
You have to read actual science to get that. The Bible has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:29 pm
@Expert2,
Here's something: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-brooks/atheists-smarter-than-believers_b_3751796.html
Freddie2

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:38 pm
Well, atheists claim science back their theories? No such evidence though, just hot air. Take away their voice and they got nuttin.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:03 pm
@Freddie2,
Take away your god in the sky, and you got nuttin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:56 pm
@Freddie2,
Freddie2 wrote:

Well, atheists claim science back their theories? No such evidence though, just hot air. Take away their voice and they got nuttin.

Take away your voice and what do you got? Hot air.
0 Replies

Heermosi

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:28 pm
@Expert2,
My English is poor, I'm afraid....
0 Replies

Heermosi

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:37 pm
@Glennn,
You'll never expect an enthusiast can link science with so called GOD.
It's the common way they puzzle people with partially right and partially wrong information. Normal persons would not have a resistance to it.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:12 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
As an aside, was the word embarrassed once spelled em-bare-assed?

I thought the word might come from the phrase but it seemed too obvious...?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:14 am
@Expert2,
You're right, I'm embarrassed. I'm stupid. I'll start believing in God now and hope I'll get smarter.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:21 am
@TomTomBinks,
Don't hope: pray.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:30 am
Well, actually that study was about something different, namely "neuromodulating ideology" ...

Quote:
New research involving a psychologist from the University of York has revealed for the first time that both belief in God and prejudice towards immigrants can be reduced by directing magnetic energy into the brain.
Source and more info

Study Neuromodulation of Group Prejudice and Religious Belief published in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:07 am
@Charlie4U,
Charlie4U wrote:
I never had an atheist show me proof or evidence that the big bang created anything nor the missing link that reptiles became mammals.

Not proof or evidence you could understand anyway.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 04:55 am
@Expert2,
Meanwhile, in other news, yet another day goes by in which not a single mass murder anywhere is attributed to atheism. Film at 11 (or should we say non-film).