Can Atheism be classified as an Occult Religion?

Expert2

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:50 pm
Inquiring Skeptics Want To Know. There is a fascinating bi-monthly periodical called Skeptical Inquirer. This magazine publishes skeptical analyses of many types of pseudo-science and is usually quite informative—dealing as it often does with such "sciences" as astrology, parapsychology, phrenology, and other so-called occult sciences.

Dr. Moore's article is entitled, "Educational Malpractice," which title tends to suggest how he feels about biology teachers who endorse creation science! He notes that most biology teachers do teach evolution, of course, but then makes this plaintive observation: However, the public—that is, our former students—overwhelmingly favor creationism over evolution.

That is a good question—why does the public favor creation? Practically everyone who ever attended a public high school or secular college has been taught evolution. By Henry M. Morris, Ph.D.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,396 • Replies: 24

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 06:56 pm
@Expert2,
Because it's easier, requires no thought, just acceptance. Also, if their parents are Christian they might feel pressure to favor this viewpoint
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:20 pm
Where do these idiotic threads come from?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 04:24 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Where do these idiotic threads come from?
God
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:45 am
How can that drivel possibly related to a claim that atheism is an occult religion? Apart from the oxymoron of calling atheism a spiritual or mystical practice, the author of this thread hasn't connected that rambling anti-evolution rant to atheism. There's no there there. Of course, for the holy rollers, acceptance of evolution is the equivalent of atheism.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:17 am
Looking over this guy's topics, he seems intent on goading atheists. Perhaps a grudge? I haven't read his posts, other than a few glimpses.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:26 am
@TomTomBinks,
Like the 'moon-landings', Juno and "mars-rover"?
Just 'acceptance'?
Charlie4U

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:21 pm
Don't you mean Cult?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:01 pm
@mark noble,
Just curious, Mark. Where do you draw the line? What do you believe? Do you think they roll up the sidewalks two minutes after you walk by? Is it all put on just for you like in that Jim Carey movie "The Truman Show"?
You mentioned Tesla in another of our conversations. I assume you mean Nikola Tesla the engineer and inventor. What if I told you I have secret knowledge that he NEVER EXISTED? He is a fictional character. How could you prove I was wrong?
You've been to Croatia and saw the house in which he was born, saw his birth certificate in the local town hall? All fabricated just before your arrival. You read his biography? A work of fiction. Don't tell me you read a Wiki about his life and accomplishments, there's one that describes Einstein's ideas as well, all bullshit, right?
Anything you know about Tesla you got from some source not independently verifiable by you, and yet you choose to believe it.
Why not the moon landing or the Mars rover or the Juno mission?
Two questions you have to ask yourself; how many people have to be lying in order for me to be right? What will I accept as proof?
Expert2

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:38 pm
@TomTomBinks,
The search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) is a scientific research program that searches for signs of intelligence from distant space.

Should biologists likewise search for signs of intelligence in biological systems?
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm
@Expert2,
Sure. Why not?
Charlie4U

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 03:47 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Search for extraterrestrial intelligence in Space? They don't believe in God, why search for him? Maybe God doesn't want to be bothered by them.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:28 pm
@Charlie4U,
Are you even following the conversation? What are you talking about? Who is searching for God in space?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 06:51 am
@TomTomBinks,
I Never 'draw' a line, Tom.
Ask me a straightforward question - Without the addition of dissemination, prior to.

I like how you soften your attack by (personalising) using my name, btw.
Gesture reciprocated, sir.
Freddie2

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 09:15 am
@mark noble,
The moderators are engaging in voting brigading. I received a -5 for outing them out. I think it's rather comical that when a person uses reason and logic against their soapboxing that they often retaliate. Oh back to the question, Can Atheism be classified as an Occult Religion?

It's more of a Cult following of a leader. Much like Hitler who had a following. Hitler based his belief off of Darwinism for a Superior Race. Of course Social Darwinism is corrupt. Definition: a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing "a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"

mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 10:47 am
@Freddie2,
I vote topics down, to filter (relative) shite. I've never voted a post down.
If you think 'they' are ganging-up on you - Call Interpol NOW!.
But stop posting me, please - I don't care.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 11:05 pm
@mark noble,
Yes, calling you by name puts you at ease and demonstrates my sincerity. I don't want to attack you, Mark. I want to engage in meaningful conversations with you and others. It's just that I get frustrated when someone (you) makes blanket denials of accepted knowledge without offering a reasonable alternative.
mark noble

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:23 am
@TomTomBinks,
I offer you links... You ignore.
I offer you discourse.... You apply slander.
I ask you a question..... You NEVER answer.
You are the attacker, Tom.
I have Never read a single 'valuable' proposal or educated premise from you.

0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 11:19 am
@Setanta,
That is ridiculous. The commander and pilot of the doomed shuttle Colombia were both deeply religious men with high IQ's and excelled to the very top as astronauts-the very essence of physical and mental achievement of men.
Commander Husband wrote about religion and evolution-he wrote 10 books-with a grand style and he never lost his great love for the spirit and Jesus Christ. He believed in evolution both spiritually and physically.

All religious people see science as atheist-you are a dammed fool.

And you just trash an incredible person and world wide hero who gave his life for science.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 09:02 pm
@spooky24,
Apart from being a complete non-sequitur, you have also erected a staw man--I did not saying anything remotely resembling "All religious people see science as atheist . . . " Furthermore, I didn't trash anyone, but I'll be happy to trash you:

You're the damned fool here, you have the rhetorical skills of a nursery school student.