A strange controversy in Korea

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 02:31 pm
Koreans are upset about five star hotels in Korea providing Japanese yakuza in executive suites. According to DNA, Japanese are descendants of Korea. Put 2 and 2 together, and what's called Japanese yakuta is actually Korean. Same race-ethnicity, different culture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 6,817 • Replies: 79

neko nomad

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 03:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Tell us more ... tell us more.

Asian style bickering should prove to be just as interesting as European.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A yakuza is a member of a transnational crime syndicate with strict rules. If they have the money for the hotel suite, why shouldn't a Yakuza have the right to stay there? Western hotels rent out suites to gangsters all the time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 07:39 pm
@Blickers,
Sorry; bad spelling on my part. A big mistake.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 08:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am reading along.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 08:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
do you mean this from 2012?

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/luxury-korean-hotel-chain-gives-out-traditional-japanese-robe.html
Blickers

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 09:03 pm
@Blickers,
I'm not sure what we are talking about. Do you mean that Korean five star hotels are giving their guests Jaanese yukata, which is a traditional robe like garment?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:39 pm
@ehBeth,
That's the one, ehBeth. I don't blame Koreans to be upset.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:41 pm
@Blickers,
That's it. I believe Koreans have a right to be upset because of Japan's occupation of Korea, and what they did there.
Blickers

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's really only one hotel doing it, and that one is owned by a member of the family which owns Korean industrial/electronic giant Samsung. My guess is, the economic leaders of Korea might be trying to foster a sense of togetherness with Japan, since Korea and Japan are two democratic Asian industrial powerhouses and the other major economic power, China, is not democratic at all. Couple that with the fact that the start of WWII is beginning to near the century mark, and 100 years ago is where people begin to regard the happenings then as "ancient history". There is also the fact that the Japanese robe-like garment is considered more comfortable than the traditional Korean garment by Westerners anyhow.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:01 am
@Blickers,
Good points, but I still understand how some Koreans may feel insulted or uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 12:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I thought only North Koreans have an attitude towards Japan? Anyway, I think South Koreans are the closest to American thinking, while Japan seems to have taken American culture and added a Japanese flavor, so to speak. I got my opinion from watching more than one South Korean soap opera (with English subtitles).
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 07:58 pm
@Foofie,
My wife is a fan of Korean soap opera. She even has a huge CD library of Korean shows.
Have learned recently that Japanese are really Koreans. It was proven through DNA.
http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/dna-analysis-confirms-japanese-are-of-korean-descent.html
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
When I was in Japan, I loved to watch Japanese television. In 1964, a lot of it was inspired by American TV. Even saw "Rawhide" over there. Trail boss, instead of saying, "Head 'em up, move 'em out" said "Hayako."
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
"hayaku" is hurry up.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

My wife is a fan of Korean soap opera. She even has a huge CD library of Korean shows.
Have learned recently that Japanese are really Koreans. It was proven through DNA.
http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/dna-analysis-confirms-japanese-are-of-korean-descent.html

Similar DNA does not mean "equal." Palestinians share DNA with Jews; however, a dissimilar history made their cultures different. Try telling a Palestinian that they are really Jews. I don't think you'll get a positive response. But then again Ashkenazi Jews have DNA from many nations. Your point might be like saying two school buildings are identical inside; yet they are separate buildings, with possibly different educational focusses.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 12:31 pm
@Foofie,
It doesn't matter what individuals believe. DNA is proof positive. Opinions are not based on fact.
Blickers

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 01:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote cicerone imposter:
Quote:

Just curious when this crossover from Korea to Japan occurred. 500 years ago? 5,000 years ago, or even more?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It doesn't matter what individuals believe. DNA is proof positive. Opinions are not based on fact.

Proof positive of what? Even identical twins with the same genetic DNA are different. Racism believes that different DNA makes people different. You are saying that the same DNA makes people the same. If what you say is true then much of Europe are not separate peoples, but all just descended from those Germanic tribes that settled on different land masses. Tell that to the Europeans.

Plus, DNA might make one have certain physical traits, but not enough to not be part of the human species. I believe you are putting too much emphasis on the word DNA and little emphasis on the reality of different cultures. Your opinion might be more correct for animals, but not humans.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:59 pm
@Foofie,
How else do you study migration other than by DNA?

http://www.japancrush.com/2012/stories/dna-evidence-emerges-that-

japanese-share-korean-blood.html
Making sense of DNA data and the origins of the Japanese
The DNA sequencing picture that emerges today shows the central Honshu people of Japan to be genetically just a little closer to Sino-Tibetan and Han Chinese (from the Jiangsu region who were possibly rice-farming immigrants during the Yayoi era) evidenced by the specific genetic Y markers found in Japanese today (ie O3a5, O3a and O1), in their mix than to modern-day Koreans whose ancestors contributed significantly to the Japanese gene pool probably during Koguryo and Paekche migrations into Japan of the Kofun era to Asuka eras.

Also: http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/using-dna-trace-human-migration

Foofie, I guess you're smarter than people who study DNA and human migration.