Alternative Einstein's riddle answer

Zyqwerty

Fri 17 May, 2013 01:54 pm
@cedor,
I would just like to point out that although you are right, you made an assumption without clearly showing how you came to it. You may have also contradicted yourself a little bit. You said "House 1 and 3 CANNOT have Birds or Dogs nor Pall Mall." when House 3 does in fact have birds and Pall Mall. I don't know if I misread what you wrote or if you accidentally mistyped that. You also said " Since the horse is at House 2, then it must also have the Dane (the Swede has Dogs after all)." when there was no hint that said the Dane owned the horse. If you figure out all the hints, you will come to that conclusion, but you made it sound like it was an actual hint. Then again, I don't know if I misread what you wrote or if you mistyped it. I could have also missed something, but I figured I'd point this out just in case I didn't.
0 Replies

mac12345

Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:38 pm
@cedor,
A solution can be found by simply understanding that Einstein favors Germans since he himself is German. So it is logical that he designed the riddle so the German would be the one to own the fish.
0 Replies

mac12345

Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:40 pm
@cedor,
Easy Answer!

Einstein is German, so he designed the puzzle where the German would own the fish so German is the correct answer
0 Replies

abiblestudent

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 01:13 am
@jusboutdedonSU,
Pretty sure your number idea is simply describing Sudoku
0 Replies

gezarra

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:26 am
I think that the riddle strongly suggests that the houses are in a row order and not circle otherwise there would be other directions ,like above and below or something not only left and right. and the trick isn't in the houses order .
since the riddle doesn't give you a clear fact ethier directly or indirectly that the german owns the fish
i think the solution is like this :

Set A={Brit , swede , Dane , Norwegian};
Who owns the fish is Not Set A;
even if the dane is the one left behind in the grid without a pet , its still not the issue here , the purpose i see to this riddle is to define the Unknown and that's why Logic exists.
Notice : "Forgive My Bad English";
0 Replies

kiran kale

Sat 17 Aug, 2013 12:52 pm
Hi All,

As per my logical calculation,

Answer: The Brit keeps the FISH.

Thanks & Regards
Kiran Kale
([email protected])
0 Replies

earl1952

Wed 28 Aug, 2013 04:36 pm
@cedor,
I worked it out that the German has the fish
0 Replies

gotaCHURCH

Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:39 pm
You know if u look at the riddle in which it does not state that the green house is on the immediate left, then this is one possible solution
Norwegian, German, Swedish, British, Danish
FISH, . cat, . dog, . horse, . bird,
Green, . blue, . yellow, . red, . white
Coffee , . water, . milk , . beer, . tea
Blend, . prince, . dunhill, bluemaster, pall mall

Once again this is only in the case that the green house is on the left, just not the immediate left
gotaCHURCH

Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:47 pm
@gotaCHURCH,
Please note that i didn't mean for Danish to be on the bottom, it just goes in that way, it should be the lastlast house on the right.
0 Replies

joan0farc

Sun 22 Sep, 2013 07:40 am
Einstein Made This Famous Quote :" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler".. Yes it says 5 house which are 5 different colours and that in each house lives a PERSON from a different country. Then he wrote The 5 OWNERS have and do different things.. (a) How do we assume that those 5 people who live in those houses actually OWN the house?. .. they might just be renting from the OWNERS .. ??? So take away 5 houses 5 colours and 5 nationalities out of the "WHAT EVERYONE IS MISTAKING AS AN EQUATION rather than a SIMPLE RIDDLE" and then see if the facts are easier with less information thats been given , forget the people, number of houses and number of colours.. if you think this is crazy feel free.. but look up the definition of the word RIDDLE!! to begin with maybe if u can see the information given to you with einstein using simple particular words to use as facts.. and remember HE NEVER MEANT THIS TO BE AN EQUATION LIKE EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE DOING and TREAT IT AS THE RIDDLE IT ACTUALLY IS!!
0 Replies

Ilikepie101

Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:38 pm
No... Answer this question: If a truck driver has to pay 50$ per axle at a toll booth on a highway, how many does the truck driver have to pay? The answer is 50x, meaning $50 multiplied by the number of axles(we don't know how many) = how much the truck driver has to pay. You can say "An average truck has 16 axles" but it could have 18 axles. So, this means that unless it says THE GERMAN HAS THE FISH, you don't know. Logically, you would think that since it doesn't say the German has a pet, the German is the one with the fish. It makes sense, but you don't know this, and can't prove it. Just as we dont know how many axles the truck has, we don't know if the German has a fish.

Einstein obviously wanted everyone to think this "difficult" problem could be solved with difficult math, charts, and hours of thinking.
0 Replies

Manou22

Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:41 am
@cedor,
I think your train of thought is wrong simply due to a hint that is actually given in the riddle. "The green house is on the left of the white house". You didn't even put them next to each other. I don't think that hint implies that it's two houses down. It gives you that hint because it's telling you that it's right next to it.
0 Replies

reconman

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 11:17 pm
My son gave me this puzzle because he figured I couldn't solve it. I had him get a paper and pencil, an hour later I was done. It's not hard if you just follow the clues and don't over think it. The only real conclusion could be the German owns the fish. By the way, Einstein was German and owned a fish.
0 Replies

nishatsabbir

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:03 pm
@cedor,
Actually, i didn't think too much because of wiki already given answer that German will keep Fish but i thought in a different way. Like; if you see that coat of arms in every country then answer will come out. Here, (1) In British coat of arms, there is two (2) animal’s horse & lion. So, consider Horse. (2) Einstein already said Swede keeps dogs. so no confusion. (3) In German coat of arms look like a bird (4) In Norwegian coat of arms changed periodically and finally it looks like a cat. Now who will take Fish? (5) Dane who will keep Fish. Hope, i can be right.
0 Replies

simplify

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 07:42 am
@cedor,
Hello there all you braniacs:

A big pat on the back to all of you for putting in all that time and effort in trying to solve this puzzle.
I solved it in under a minute.
Einstein knew everyone would over think the solution so he made the answer easy.
So the answer is.......................................................

The guy with an aquarium.
0 Replies

Shyann C

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:10 pm
@C99,
It's Brit the German has birds the riddle says that that the guy who smokes pall mall rears the guy who has birds rears means behind or to the left if you're looking at in linearly and the German is the green house he smokes prince not pall mall so logically speaking the Brit smokes pall mall leaving the German with the birds and the Brit with the fish
0 Replies

Shyann C

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:21 pm
@cedor,
It's Brit I'm 15 my logic helps the reason y ppl think this is impossible and 98 percent answer wrong is because the don't read carefully the Dane drinks tea not water
0 Replies

Shyann C

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:24 pm
@C99,
It's Brit the German has birds the riddle says that that the guy who smokes pall mall rears the guy who has birds rears means behind or to the left if you're looking at in linearly and the German is the green house he smokes prince not pall mall so logically speaking the Brit smokes pall mall leaving the German with the birds and the Brit with the fish
0 Replies

uatu13

Tue 11 Mar, 2014 02:43 pm
Who the hell says anyone has a fish? Are we just supposed to assume that someone has a fish because 4 other animals are listed? Seems to me like the only answer is "I don't know" because it hasn't been established which 5 animals are actually owned.
0 Replies

twit

Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:56 am
@jespah,
The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house
basic reading comprehension at stake yet again
what part of ..."THE GREEN HOUSE IS NEXT TO -A N D -
on the LEFT OF THE WHITE HOUSE did you miss ?????
0 Replies