How do you take your hot dog?

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:11 pm
40 Ways The World Makes Awesome Hot Dogs
http://i67.tinypic.com/2r7wqrb.png

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:21 pm
I'll have a Dodger dog - without the bun please.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, dodger dog here too (with the bun).

Sometimes I'll have saurkraut also.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:34 pm
@chai2,
The Kennett Square is good. Its a water cooked kosher beef dog on a whole wheat bun. Its covered witha sauce made of shitake mushrooms and onions fried up in a base of Worcestershire and ketchup. Thats all

A chili dog with a hot/sweeter chili is good and its topped with chopped scallions.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Presently, my favorite is the Chicago style AKA theShack-cago DogĀ® from Shake Shack.

But that one from Seattle looks mighty enticing. Razz
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The Kennett Square is good. Its a water cooked kosher beef dog on a whole wheat bun. Its covered witha sauce made of shitake mushrooms and onions fried up in a base of Worcestershire and ketchup. Thats all

A chili dog with a hot/sweeter chili is good and its topped with chopped scallions.

I think I eat about 2 hot dogs a year. Either because there's nothing else available, or I feel like eating some ketchup.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 01:59 pm
Depending on my mood, either the New York or the Cleveland (sometimes it's nice to have the fries and whatnot on the sandwich...sort of like a Primanti's)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 02:16 pm
I like hot dogs, know some of the dogs, just as with sausages, have better ingredients than others, but I save my meat budget for pork shoulder or ground pork, and chicken thighs. Once in a blue moon, ground beef.

But, given this incentive, I'd like to try all of those described in the article. Lessee, a forty day hot dog diet.. probably better for nutrition reasons to space that out, so.. an eighty day hot dog diet less forty non hot dog days.

I'd have to reread the list for my favorites but I liked the sound of a lot of them. Now I'll add Farmer's described hot dog too, which brings me to 82 days.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 04:15 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Quote:
I think I eat about 2 hot dogs a year. Either because there's nothing else available, or I feel like eating some ketchup
Its still the best "Road Food". Only place NOT to eat a dog is on a bike on a cement hiway
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
concrete highway!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 05:52 pm
Thia won't come as a total surprise. I like the New York style hot dog.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 06:05 pm
@ossobucotemp,
After looking at them, I think I'd want to try quite a few of them - but almost always without buns.

I do love hot dogs and sausages of all types. I could probably go on a hot dog diet pretty easily. They're such great condiment-carriers.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 08:01 am
@ehBeth,
The "Michigan" for me. Or a Sahlen's dog with horseradish mustard and ketchup. Yummy!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 09:22 am
Dodger Dog, hold the ketchup.
(Leave the windows open.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 04:37 pm
Some excellent ideas n terms of condiment combos although the only one I have eaten or am likely to eat exactly as described is "Germany"

I love hot dogs with some combination of the following condiments:

Mustard: Must be dark, preferably Boar's Head Horseradish Mustard. Never yellow mustard - I'd rather eat the dog plain

Relish: Usually sweet relish (and not that neon-green crap you find in Chicago), but recently I found a habanero and dill pickle relish that is pretty delicious.

Sauerkraut: In place of, not with relish. Better with sausages like brats than relish. Kraut that has been cooked with the sausage drippings is the best.

Onions: NY "onion sauce" on franks or grilled onions on sausages

Peppers: Grilled with onions on Italian sausages

Never Used Condiments or Hot Dog Condiments That Make Me Gag:

Yellow Mustard - Never...ever
Ketchup
Chili: And especially the stuff they use in the Carolina that looks more like...(well, you know what) than real chili
Cheese
Cole Slaw: Why?
Tomatoes: Never
Vegetables: Of any kind other than cabbage, cukes, onions and peppers.
Fruit - Of any kind.
Mayo: Although I did try one with Yum Yum sauce and it was pretty good.
Bacon: Redundant

What I will try as a result of this infographic:

Egg

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 05:22 pm
@George,
I remember going to the old LA Dodger stadium with my father, when, guessing mid sixties. We didn't buy food, I don't think. Maybe a coke, but no memory of that. I remember noisy people around us, when I wanted to watch the game.

Later in life, I had a co-worker who was nutso about dodger dogs. That was one of her milder obsessions, as she got onto some wrestling goofball stuff, don't get me started.
I tried to avoid having lunch in the office, thus good walks, etc. There are many reasons behind exercise.

Not that I dislike her, we have stayed friends.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 11:38 pm
One of each, please.
0 Replies

luke21

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:44 am
@tsarstepan,
i like the japan style. very easy to prepare and my kids love it Smile
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@luke21,
That's interesting. Your profile says you have no children.

Quote:
luke21
My Profile

Traveler and full time pet owner.

Not married, nor has kids. I just have my dog.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 09:00 am
@tsarstepan,
I think I'm going to try a version of these (baked, not fried) - if I can find Johnsonville smoked cheddar sausages again