The New State Religion: Atheism

rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 02:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I think you are failing to differentiate between Socialization and Indoctrination. The differences are discussed openly on numerous sources.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 02:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I am suggesting that changing your religion in the context of a Western culture (i.e. one in North America or Western Europe) does not involve a significant change of moral values.

If you had changed your religion to a religion that would involve a real cultural change, it would have been a more drastic change for you and your family.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:22 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
So your answer to the challenge of indoctrination by people who call themselves Christian, is to redefine Christianity in such a way that any behavior you don't agree with (Indoctrination in this case) is not "Christian".

I've seen this form of apologetic before and it's just a way of obfuscating the obvious and burying your head in the sand.

If it happens to be the truth, what would you have me say?
Declaring your opponent's statement to be a 'tactic' is itself a tactic.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:26 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I think you are failing to differentiate between Socialization and Indoctrination
I think you are grossly underestimating (perhaps deliberately) the power of peer pressure in this society.
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:32 am
@Leadfoot,
you dont have any kids do you?
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:42 am
@farmerman,
Only two (and 4 grand kids).

But I did leave out 'family pressure'..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:50 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If you had changed your religion to a religion that would involve a real cultural change, it would have been a more drastic change for you and your family.
My religion has nothing to do with my family but is just a personal thing, my personal thing.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 09:41 am
@Leadfoot,
I think peer pressure is common when you are young.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You are talking about church religion, Walter. In 21st century Western culture the basic values of all the church religions are largely the same. So the church religion you choose isn't very important in this day and age.

I am talking about your cultural religion; i.e. the important moral values that you believe are sacred. You are against slavery. You believe there are basic human rights. You believe that women should be treated as equals in society. You believe that marriage should be voluntary.

Of course your cultural religion is now dominant throughout Western Europe and North America (and many other places). The fact that your beliefs and cultural values are dominant might lead you to believe that they represent an absolute universal truth.

Of course although Western cultural hegemony is a reality throughout much of the world now, this doesn't mean that your cultural values are really universal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 10:49 am
@maxdancona,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutheranism

When I visited Germany, I remember visiting Martin Luther's home which was converted into a museum. I don't even remember the name of the town.

My memory is really getting bad.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:19 am
@maxdancona,
I have a totally different understanding of "cultural religion" - I don't think that a have one.

I respect traditions (as traditions), I respect human rights (and even more rights).

I'm against this so-called "Western Culture" because we had and have own and different cultures here (and there).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
Found this.
http://www.uncommon-travel-germany.com/wittenberg.html

I remembered most of this: http://www.uncommon-travel-germany.com/wittenberg.html#wittenberg-tours
0 Replies